Saab SH-37 Viggen - Completed

trickyrich

I have been waiting a while for this build to finally come up as it’s a chance to build something I have been wanting to for a long time. I had previously built 2 Viggens some 30+ years ago (Matchbox & Esci) both in splinter camouflage with varying success, so hopefully 3rdtime lucky.

I’ll be building Tarangus’s lovely SH/SF-37 Viggen :wall:   …..

IMG_2257-L.jpg

…..with a swag of Maestro extras thrown in…...

IMG_2259-M.jpg

IMG_2633-M.jpg

…… plus some bits from Phase hanger…..

IMG_2631-M.jpg

….finally some teeny bits from Master Model. 

IMG_2260-M.jpg

…and finally to top it all off some masks from Maestro!  I have no idea of the painting order for the masks, this should be interesting!

IMG_2262-M.jpg

The scheme/model will be the SH-37 Maritime Recon/Strike version fitted with Rb04E Anti-Ship missiles.

The build should be simple and straight forward, the painting…….hmm!! Luckily Mr. Paint have a range of acrylic lacquers just for this aircraft so that'll be a huge help with the paint job.

I have 4 other possibilities for this GB which may make an appearance depending on how this build goes (F3D-2 Skyknight, Hs-129B3, Su-25K, KaJaPo).

• Like 20

Thanks, she is an awesome looking bird.

Do you have a thread up for the RA-5C? How are you finding the model? It's meant to be a wee bit of a handful to build and not the most accurate, but it's the only game intern unless you want to follow the path I did with a resin one!

just about, I finally found some resin thrust reverser petals, the kit ones are a wee bit soft in detail.

Am really looking forward to this build, it's one of the big ones for me this year. 

nice!

quite some AM assortment!

I did not see those seamless intakes yet... :)

(Phase Hanger... looks  a lot like 2mikes.....)

would you recommend them?

Thanks!

Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

I still remember that autumn week back in 1997 when I was doing my conscription in the Swedish air force as a turnaround mechanic.

It was the last week for Rb04 before their phase-out, and F7 wing had one squadron of AJS/F/H Viggens left (the other one was converting to Gripen) and it was decided to actually fire away all stock of Rb04 over the Baltic sea somewhere. Naturally this was a co-exercise with some fighter Viggens from other sites.

The plan was for the AJ:s to do a normal Antishipping attack against some practice target wile the JA:s were circling overhead.

After launch the AJ:s would turn back and rearm as per normal Swedish anti-shopping doctrine, and the JA would then swoop down and try to hunt the Rb04 and shoot them down with cannon. It was visualized as a great way to train to attack cruise missiles.... With the erratic flight behavior of the Rb04  at 10m altitude over the baltic at high subsonic speeds I guess this was a quite a challange!

How the JA:s fared I do not know, but let me tell you that the pilots of the AJ:s which normally were quite serious were now absolutely bubbling with excitement !

They were very keen to draw some sharkmouths and messages on the Rb04...

One Viggen actually came back with the top piece of a Rb04 still hanging on the pylon. The birchwood in the Rb04 fuselage had deteriorated during storage and during launch the thing just came a part.

Ahhh, those were the days 😎

• Like 7

they would have been amazing to see flying, one of the sad things about live down under, you don't get to see a lot of awesome aircraft. That said I use to be an F-111 Mech a very long time ago...

It doesn't take much to get pilots excited, they're a simple lot! :D

Werner, the intakes aren't too bad, they are resin copies of the kit ones that have been filled and sorted out. I know they'll save me a lots of extra work, so are worth it.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Thanks, she is an awesome looking bird.

Do you have a thread up for the RA-5C? How are you finding the model? It's meant to be a wee bit of a handful to build and not the most accurate, but it's the only game intern unless you want to follow the path I did with a resin one!

I've got one up on a small site I'm on, though it has stalled out...I really need to get back to finishing it and getting it cleared off the desk.  It's been a while since I've picked it up, hell, picked anything up.  The build has been finicky, but I don't mind that too much.  It feels more like you're modeling when you have to do a little persuasion and clean up.  My Kinetic Mirage was the same way...though not as bad.  I'll shoot you a PM so as not to derail your Viggen thread.  😉

• Thanks 1

yeah I can't help myself sometimes when it comes to AM bits. Most of the AM bits this time are corrections and improvements. 

The scheme has always been one of my favourites and after my two very early attempts I want to get it right. I still need to work out the best way to do it, either in reverse order (dark to light) like I did on the "Splinter MiG" or the more normal way of light to dark. I haven't found any info from other builds using these masks. The good thing though is I'll be using acrylic lacquer so even with multiple coats I should get raised paint edges and that stuff sticks like glue so no worrying about paint lifting.

I am really itching to start this build.....I may start washing the resiny bits......and maybe fondle them a wee bit! :wub:  :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

that's how I did mine originally so long again but we only had the thick masking tape then and I used enamels with a very cheap and nasty airbrush (though I may have hand painted one!!). 

Least with using masks there's a slight chance i won't mess it up.

I don't mind the smell of the Mr. Paint paint, but here again I love the smell of resin!

Nice Whif, I like it a lot! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

well with just a few hours to go before the start I have managed to hold off starting her....just!

I did wash all the resiny bits and removed most of the resin blocks....of the ones I have a lesser chance of loosing.

IMG_2637-L.jpg

The seamless intakes are the kits originals that someone has done all the hard work on removing the seems. So I know they'll fit perfectly, though I did notice they were very slightly shorter.

IMG_2634-L.jpg

The new canards are really nice and have seperate moving bits.

IMG_2635-L.jpg

From what I can gather the moving bits do droop when the aircraft is power off sitting on the ground, they even supply a tool to set the droop at the correct position.

IMG_2636-L.jpg

Finally these are most of the leftover bits. I have bags of leftover bits from all my other builds, not too sure what I'm going do with them, can't seem to bring myself to throw they away.

IMG_2638-L.jpg

This arrived today, sort of help distract me for a while, I have the masks on the way to do the Czech Tiger Meet scheme, I just wish someone did the decals for the Giger scheme!! Oh she's 1/35th and HUGE, over 500mm/20" long and that's without the rotor on!!!

IMG_2639-L.jpg

• Like 11

The canards doesn't droop at power off, they are automatically lowered during start and landing. It's a sort of nose-wing flap that is set by the mechanics depending on the loadout used.

During flight, these flaps are not part of the normal control surfaces.

• Like 3

Has there ever been a Swedish camo build or Saab Viggen, Draken or Gripen build. Your pre start prep has my mouth watering for this GB and this aircraft.

im also trying to hold off...got my cockpit parts off sprue ready....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1