Der weise Nachtjäger !

☹️ FAILURE !!! ... I mounted the gear on the UHU tonight. Shes a tail-sitter and there’s nothing to be done to fix it. I placed a bottle-cap on top just behind the cockpit. Filled it to to the point of overflowing. No good still sitting on her butt. So even if i add all that weight it wont help it. Oh well at least she looks pretty. 

Dennis

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Shes a tail-sitter

Darn. A few options present themselves.

First, add a tail support from clear sprue at the rear, it's quick, easy and not too distracting.

A variation of the above is a strategically placed trestle/ladder/barrel/crewman.

Second, put the bird on a base and tie the nose wheel down, which is a good option if you don't mind bases in your cabinet. You can use wire through a hole or a screw into the nose wheel, as skills and inclination dictate.

Third, drill holes in any place that you can find (under the cockpit, behind the cockpit, in the engine cowlings) and add as much fishing weight lead as you need, fixed in place with a dribble of superglue through the holes. You may actually manage to hold the weights in place with screws or pins through the fuselage bottom, but that takes a bit of lining up and luck! Once it balances, make good the panel and paint damage. That's the most difficult option.

Don't give up Dennis!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Rob G said:

Don't give up Dennis!

Not planning to ... But this kits definitely kneed my gentleman's spot more than once. I will most likely do a post of some sort ? Combined with chocks, know what german chocks looked like ? Were they square or triangular ? Like i said i took a water bottle cap and filled it to overflowing with lead. Didn't help a bit, so I'm not going to butcher a good paint job for that. Here is what shes looking like right now. 

VmO5sdr.jpg

3XpKfMm.jpg

R6UtTji.jpg

With support ⬆️ and without. ⬇️

rshZFTO.jpg

3AKeFE1.jpg

Questions, comments, jokes, or good stories ? They are all welcome as usual. 

Dennis

• Like 8

Re the post, you may be able to hide it somewhere just behind the main gear, under the fuselage. It will be less noticeable than under the tail.

Chocks visible here, they're skeletal triangles. A packet of small Evergreen angle will do the job nicely, methinks.

he219-9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

Make a base, glue it down? Maybe with a dowel through the nose wheel for extra attachment.

That may be an option for the future. Currently all my built kits go into storage, i don't have space to display any of them. In fact I'm probably going to have to donate or recycle the majority of my older builds soon ? There is a local airport with a small museum i will try to donate them there first. They have about 5-6 aircraft including a T-2, T-33, A-4C & at least two Helicopters.  

Dennis

• Like 2

Looks good and pretty close to finish.

Wheel chocks of any kind are a good idea and too much weight will weaken the undercarriage.

It worked well on my P-400 and i have used simple plastic triangles.

• Thanks 1

she does look really nice Dennis, you've done a great job on her.

I seem to remember it took an awful lot of weight to get her to sit correctly, maybe you are able to pop off one of the cowlings?

29 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

maybe you are able to pop off one of the cowlings?

Not the way i glue things. Im just going to finish the build and store it. When i have space in the future to build a small base i will figure out how to display it. 

Hello all... Well this beast just will not go gently into the night. Its fighting me tooth and nail, and it almost won a one way trip to the bin. I think i will be skipping P/E antenna’s on Night-fighters on future builds. These 5 antennas

SjTRdJt.jpg

UQnhJjM.jpg

took just over an hour to get all to connect, behave until the glue set, and not feed the carpet monster in the process. I did lose the center one though to the monster, thus the reason its not painted. Luckily i had extras. These two on the belly weren't much easier. 

fI7Xd7U.jpg

The glue just didn't want to set the same problem i had with the nose antenna’s. I use C/A Gel which usually sets in about 45-90 seconds. But on some of the etch it took 5-10 minutes. Does C/A gel go bad ? I know regular C/A can be effected by time. The C/A fingerprint in that last photo has been wet-sanded away for the most part now. Time to go have a Guinness. :drink:

Dennis

• Like 4

hmmm some ow this message below didn't post......here it tis again

"you know you could always remove the props, drill out the centres and fill the nacelles with shot or small fishing weights? I've done that before, just stick some plasticine in first to stop the weights from going rogue!"

Yeah CA glue does have a mind of it's own, I find it'll happen glue something where it shouldn't be instantly (as with fingers) but stuff you need to dry inlace seems to take forever. I only use Tamiya's Extra Strong stuff, it's strange like that.

• Like 1

Hello all... Well head cold and diabetes crashing sugars not withstanding, i was able to wrap this one up. 

N6Tyodp.jpg

I have added the photo’s to the gallery. I will also add more photo’s to an RFI.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235055125-a-luftwaffe-owl/

Questions, comments, jokes, or stories ? 

Dennis

• Like 8

well done Dennis you finally got there and she does look rather nice! :thumbsup:

Dragon does produce a nice model of the He-219 but you do unfortunately have to work for it. I found the other day my Tamiya 1/48th version I started about 20 years ago, complete with Verlinden upgrade kit. I think you may have inspired me to drag that old beast out and finally finish her.

What's that "tarmac" from? it does look rather good for a base for her.

It's always a pleasure to have you along Dennis, hopefully the build wasn't too painful, but you managed to produce something nice in the end so again well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I found the other day my Tamiya 1/48th version I started about 20 years ago, complete with Verlinden upgrade kit. I think you may have inspired me to drag that old beast out and finally finish her.

Good to know my work may help you decide to build/finish yours.

15 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

What's that "tarmac" from? it does look rather good for a base for her.

It came with my Hasegawa 1/48 F-8E Crusader, it was actually printed on the inside of the box. I just cut it out and use it to give me a basic base for photo’s. At least until i can get a real base made that can be used multiple times over. 

18 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

It's always a pleasure to have you along Dennis, hopefully the build wasn't too painful, but you managed to produce something nice in the end so again well done.

Thanks I'm sure i will be in more builds... Whats modeling without a little head bashing from frustration :rage:once in awhile ? 

Dennis

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks I'm sure i will be in more builds... Whats modeling without a little head bashing from frustration :rage:once in awhile ? 

tell me about it....this Viggen!! :angry:

• Like 1

It turned out real nice Dennis. I to have the 1/48 Tamiya one. However, I don't see myself getting to it for some time. I have too many projects and too many ideas. 

This is what I like about the Group build. It inspires me to get something completed. I'm pleased to see you got the front panel of the cockpit painted black. 👍

• Thanks 1

You've obviously had a productive few days Dennis, getting a couple of your many builds finished (something I need concentrate on too ;)).

Your Uhu looks very striking and the PE parts do add a lot (so worth your effort IMHO).

Cheers

Cliff

• Thanks 1