Der weise Nachtjäger !

Hello all... Here is my entry in this group build. Dragons 1/72nd Heinkel He-219-0 UHU. I have posted a link from scalemates for now. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dragon-5005-he-219a-0-uhu--106305#

Once i get the chance later tonight. I will actually photograph the box and contents. With the obligatory sprue shots. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7

Welcome aboard Dennis, great to have you along for this GB.

I've built one of these, they're a nice model to build.

Good luck with the build, look forward to seeing her completed.

• Thanks 1

Ok folks here are the obligatory sprue shots.

ng5yMWU.jpg

Zhp68Fy.jpg

uH993St.jpg

As you can see still in sealed bags. I have a set of masks and will be attempting my 1st ever use of A/M masks. Ive used homemade and liquid masking solutions before. However I’ve never used precut masks, wish me luck ? 

Dennis

• Like 10

You don't need luck with pre-cut masks! One thing though, once you've used them, there's nothing more challenging than say a Bf 109 or a Hurricane you're ever going to dare to make your own masks for - they're veeerry addictive!

• Thanks 1

Pre-cut masks are a lifesaver!! Once you've used them you'll wonder why you haven't been using them all along.

Though just watch out for the vinyl ones, they can be crap.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2019 at 7:59 PM, vppelt68 said:

You don't need luck with pre-cut masks! One thing though, once you've used them, there's nothing more challenging than say a Bf 109 or a Hurricane you're ever going to dare to make your own masks for - they're veeerry addictive!

That’s for sure, I did a 109, then a P47, but loved it so much I’ve even ordered for my A-4 Skyhawks that are easy to mask yourself, peeling it off is just one of the best experiences in life, well modelling anyway.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hewy said:

Ohh that looks a nice  quality kit Dennis, any  pics on the scheme you're  doing with the masks

Yes here are the two kit schemes.

01A0rvs.jpg

↕️Less favorite kit scheme.

MKn5VxI.jpg

C3MDEBf.jpg

↕️ More favorite kit scheme

TuBvYzu.png

Possible alternative scheme ⬇️ its one of the early test examples. Seems the Germans let the prototypes fly standard missions. I believe to prove these would function as advertised. 

Nac9IES.jpg

I like the RLM 75/76 over RLM 22 schemes like this. ⬇️

1Rtr2oo.png

So far I haven't found one yet for an A-0 or an A-7.  From what i have read the last of the V series the V-8 thru V-12 were the same as A-0 & A-7’s. These were essentially the same except for an uprated engine. The A-2 was the same engine as the A-0 but with longer nacelles to accomodate extra fuel tanks. 

Dennis

• Like 4

That makes two of us. Im tracking a lead though that might be helpful. In all my research i found only one reference to the A-2 that remarked same nacelles but plumbed for droptank under the fuselage. If i can confirm that i can model an A-2 thus the BL scheme. 

• Like 1

Well i do believe unless further evidence comes forward to support the one theory for the A-2’s. I have finalized my scheme, it will be kit option #2. He-219 A-0 g9+BB of Hauptmann Manfred Meurer. 

C3MDEBf.jpg

TuBvYzu.png

It seems the all black V series was only on the first 5 prototypes. Then went to this scheme in the late V’s, V-6 = V9(12) or early A-0’s ? But some of those retained one or both lower wings in RLM22. Something like these. 

y1ItMdr.jpg

Heres a photo of g9+FK

oT8GMkq.jpg

6vgxN3M.png

If i can find/make up the decals for  either g9+FK or d5+BL from decals in my files i will build one of these two planes.  

Dennis

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Pity Germans didn't paint any Owls white; then you could edit your build title to be "Der weise weisse Nachtjäger" :hmmm:really :cool:

I am a bit confused here. ☹️ I just typed it into a translator ? If it is incorrect my apologies. And i will change it if someone can provide me the correct statement for “The wise Nightfighter”.

48 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I am a bit confused here. ☹️ I just typed it into a translator ? If it is incorrect my apologies. And i will change it if someone can provide me the correct statement for “The wise Nightfighter”.

Nothing wrong with your title. Weisse with two ”s” means white.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion, Dennis! V-P

• Like 1

Ok so I finally can get started on this. Not much done but did start the pit and nose gear. 

lGpxd0Z.jpg

A little closer but its so dark you cant see much of the radio panel. 

7wOqzIy.jpg

VXVHhBT.jpg

gWPYsNy.jpg

Nose gear strut and linkage.

mI9TSMT.jpg

More detail work tomorrow including highlighting, IP, and belts. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Ok so i mounted the cockpit today, added weight, and closed the fuselage. I found out after i did this that the canopy had trouble fitting. Turns out that i had the seat armor backwards. I fixed that and retried the canopy fit. Now only to find out that there was an issue with it being to short for the cockpit. And the weights i added behind the R/O seat and panel,  interrupted the fit. So i had to shave the weight so it was flush. Then on the 3rd try the canopy fit wonderfully. However there was a Cm sized gap between the rear edge of the canopy and the fuselage. What Dragon don't tell you at this stage of the instructions is there is an insert that goes in here to fill the gap. So i added the insert now so i can fill and blend it in. So here is what I've got so far. 

xQ0zVnb.jpg

Before i shaved the weight and added the insert. ⬆️ And after the work.⬇️ I did test the canopy and it sits flush for the most part. It only has a sliver of a gap under the sides to be taken care of. 

eNSYJlB.jpg

Questions, comments, or jokes if you please ? 

Dennis

• Like 5

Hola everyone... I was able to get a rough sand on the fuselage tonight. Once that was taken care of, i started in on the wings. Now Dragon wants you to build all the landing gear units and install them early. Not happening, no way, no how. Ive learned my lesson years ago with that. So i tested the pieces and yes they can be added after painting. First thing i had to do was build up the roof of the main gear bays. Once that was done then i could close the wings up. 

So i built the roof pieces and test fitted them. Wouldn't you know they're too darn small. Dragons molds must have shrunk, or the pieces shrank after being molded ?  Now i could have glued them as is. But didn't want the gear to collapse in the future. So i came up with a spar of sorts made from scrap plastic. So from outside they look normal.

kuVhtky.jpg

But flip the wing over and you see this.BqmjHBe.jpg

After that i glued the wings closed. They're are some nasty gaps at the wing/nacelle joins that will need some major filling. I will photo the gaps tomorrow. But heres the Owl mocked up as of tonight. 

i35k59j.jpg

I will next proceed to the fun stuff like sanding and filling, so not much for photos once that starts. Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Aloha everybody... So here are a few photos showing the nacelles and the lovely fit that dragon provides. First up port wing,

6nzzXN7.jpg

Then starboard inner ⬇️ and

OTHDQzh.jpg

outer ⬇️ sides. This one is the best of the four. 

qYzOUWO.jpg

All of them have been roughed in with filing and filling. Then there is the oversized stingers on the nacelles rears. Both wings displayed the same oversized tailcones. So i only photo’d the 

XghW7T5.jpg

one wing, to give you an example.

HtjZeaN.jpg

Next up after the wings were taken care of. It was on to the weapons tray on the belly. 

Ae1H6HJ.jpg

MwQlhPF.jpg

Left and right its just a smidge smaller, than the width of the fuselage. But it was short so i added the plastic shim. That gap ⬆️ is gone, after i photographed it i compressed the tray and it filled nicely. Ive since filled all of the edges to blend them. 

The forward edge/gun ports are a separate piece from the rest of the tray. Nice to see they were molded open. I will probably add some brass tubing to simulate the 4 x 20mm’s in my aircraft. G9+FK used 6 x 20mm’s instead of the 4 x 30mm’s and 2 x 20mms in the wing roots. 

PpEtNaY.jpg

That piece was shrunken like some other pieces in the kit. I first glued it to the weapons tray to get it as flush fitting as possible. Then i used a plastic shim underneath, to get it to sit correctly on the plane. 

W4AY28D.jpg

Last up was to shim the forward area of the canopy. 

OJ0avgG.jpg

Once that was done i test fitted, its very close as it sits. The glue should fill the rest of the gap under the canopy nicely. Overall its a decent kit that seems to be suffering from mold wear, or improper molding ? Otherwise im happy with the kit as it is. All told its just basic skills that are needed to fix whats wrong. Questions, comments, or jokes if you like. 

Dennis

• Like 6