Eric Lock's Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I

This model marks some firsts for me, it's my first Spitfire, my first properly British aircraft, and my first Pegasus Hobbies kit. Many of you may have read about this brand, which makes snap fit aircraft models. Now, some may consider them as unworthy of building because of their simplicity, but the decals that come with the kits are EXCELLENT: glossy, easy to work with and most importantly, need no setting solutions to conform into the panel lines (fifth photo). However, you should let them dry thoroughly before handling the aircraft, or you may end up distorting them (fourth photo).

As always, the model was handpainted with Revell acrylics. Again, no decal softening solutions were needed.

WZuomml.jpg

2p4XRJU.jpg

MQKviJQ.jpg

hHdNwbh.jpg

gkojw3v.jpg

PHG0Z7Y.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 18

Great job on your first Spitfire. 

At my age and being an Anglophile it is hard to imagine a "first Spitfire". I built my first 48 years ago. 

Pretty aeroplane, isn't it? :)

I'm so pleased to see this build. I  am getting fired up to do my own modeling today and I find myself inspired. 👏

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

Great job on your first Spitfire. 

At my age and being an Anglophile it is hard to imagine a "first Spitfire". I built my first 48 years ago. 

Pretty aeroplane, isn't it? :)

I'm so pleased to see this build. I  am getting fired up to do my own modeling today and I find myself inspired. 👏

It's a nice plane, I have the Hasegawa IX on queue to be built as Clostermann's plane.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bedders said:

That looks lovely. I'm completely unfamiliar with the Pegasus brand but you've made a great job of it.

Justin

They were really cheap at one point,  they do a series of 1/48th snap together,  (along with lots of other stuff) 

the 1/48th planes are based on existing kits,  their Hurricane is based on the Hasegawa, the Spitfire from the photos I have seen is based upon the 1978 Revell Spitfire Mk.II as it lacks the gull wing, the the original Revell kit has raised panel lines.

Note, I got the Revell kit cheap when it was reissued, and the actual main shapes are good, so if Pegasus copied that closely, then it has potential. 

7 minutes ago, Ratch said:

What scale is it? And shouldn't it have a mast behind the cockpit?

1/48th.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, azureglo said:

Lovely Spit, I've built a few Pegasus kits like their V2 which are impressively detailed. Lest this be first of many, many more Spits.

Anil

You bet, however I'm not as familiar with Spitfire pilots as I am with Lufrwaffe ones. I'll try to do some reading. Though I do want to build Spitfire I DW N, or build a 22 with those same markings and make it a Battle of Britain 1946 theatre.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bedders said:

That looks lovely. I'm completely unfamiliar with the Pegasus brand but you've made a great job of it.

Justin

Get yourself some, they're are a good canvas for scratch building and are dirty cheap.

7 hours ago, Ratch said:

What scale is it? And shouldn't it have a mast behind the cockpit?

It's 1:48. I asked the same thing to myself when I inspected it closely, and I assumed Pegasus removed it because its a product aimed at younger modellers.