What two part syringe or tube epoxy glue best for plastic kits ?

Merlin

Hi,

having had araldite rapid pull away from plastic kit after set, despite cleansing and roughing beforehand, I understand there is an epoxy glue for plastics that wont see such happen.

Can anyone shed light on this as to have that happen when the whole purpose of it was for a super strong joint is a deflating thing to happen., on the eve of a show !

Merlin

Evening Merlin, 

two part epoxy is fine for resin to resin, resin to plastic, etch to plastic and etch to resin though could be classed as overkill for the last two.

My suggestion would be to use a glue that softens the plastic and allows the two surfaces to actually become one, i.e. a solvent. Yes, I know it's a pain, and that's because we're modeller's, who are supposed to have the ability to wait, follow instruction etc! aren't we?!! Reason being? as you've found out, epoxy joints can fail, just like super glued joints.

If it's got to be epoxy you have JB weld, Unibond, Gorilla epoxy and loctite to name a few most are available from builders merchants or certain well known auction sites. Would suggest you have a look on your favourite search engine, the explanations on there are far better than mine.

HTH

Paul

Hi,

Noted, though as I was drilling a 10mm dia hole on a hull seam I felt that the usual melt bond might break open and I wanted the seam to be a structural member more so than just an area 1mm wide (if even that)  bonded.

Someone did say there are epoxy's for plastic whilst something like Araldite rapid will not bond to kit plastic as well.

Merlin