Tamiya Colour Changing Shade Between Bottles

GazB

Has anyone ever experienced a pot of Tamiya colour coming out slightly different to a previous pot of the same colour?

I've been painting a truck with NATO green and switched over to a brand new pot. The moment I opened it I thought it looked darker, and as it turned out it was noticeably darker by comparison. I ended up putting some of it into the pot I'd just finished to see if it would mix a little, and it seemed to do the trick to an extent, but I have never had this happen with Tamiya paint before. It almost looked like it was Olive Green and had been mislabeled. I dunno if its just a one off, or Tamiya has done what other manufacturers seem to do and made their NATO green a darker shade (out of all those I have tried, Tamiya's brighter green was the closest look).

Gaz

For both this reason, the seemably lower pigment count in some shades compared to old bottles, and the price of the 10ml bottles (compared to the price of the old 23ml bottles that used to be on the stands), I don't really use Tamiya acrylics anymore. The enamel is still excellent, and I know the Tamiya acrylic is still a very easy to use airbrush paint, but I find other paints give better results these days.

Who knows? Maybe Tamiya is using the quality control team from Humbrols old Chinese factory.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sapperastro said:

For both this reason, the seemably lower pigment count in some shades compared to old bottles, and the price of the 10ml bottles (compared to the price of the old 23ml bottles that used to be on the stands), I don't really use Tamiya acrylics anymore. The enamel is still excellent, and I know the Tamiya acrylic is still a very easy to use airbrush paint, but I find other paints give better results these days.

Who knows? Maybe Tamiya is using the quality control team from Humbrols old Chinese factory.

Funny thing is, I went looking back through old pots of NATO green to see if I can find one with some left in it. I stumbled across my original pot, from before they started applying the warning stickers to the caps. It was the same shade as this darker one, while all the pots in between seemed to be a lighter shade. Most vehicles I painted NATO green I never really noticed because I didn't often put a strong coat on. I only recently started doing that, resulting in the brighter green look. So I'm kinda hoping this is just something that happens with a batch now and then, rather than permanent, because the newer pot I opened was an almost greyish tinted green, and noticeably so.

Gaz

A while ago I was painting a Dragon El Alamein Sherman and decided to use XF58 which seemed to be the medium drab green I needed to spray  the camo with....i had a old bottle in the larger size I had bought probably back in the 90's..worked fine only problem was I ran out right at the end...bugger...likelihood of a new current bottle of paint matching up would be unlikely...sprayed it on..did some touch ups..perfect match..just goes to show..

Leslie

Edited by lesliegl
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, lesliegl said:

A while ago I was painting a Dragon El Alamein Sherman and decided to use XF58 which seemed to be the medium drab green I needed to spray  the camo with....i had a old bottle in the larger size I had bought probably back in the 90's..worked fine only problem was I ran out right at the end...bugger...likelihood of a new current bottle of paint matching up would be unlikely...sprayed it on..did some touch ups..perfect match..just goes to show..

Leslie

I found an ancient bottle of NATO green that seems to match this newer bottle, plus another bottle I just got, all of which have this darker tone. Yet when you see pictures of other modellers using the NATO green, it comes out brighter. Oddly, MIG Ammo did a tutorial on the NATO scheme, but the NATO green in their images is miles brighter than their actual paint, which is an extremely dark green. I even contacted them about this, but they said the two colours should be the same. The Mission Models stuff looks accurate, but then you see other pictures and it doesn't.

Gah, why are U.S. colours so difficult to get correct.

Gaz

• Like 1