*done* THE Ju 88 - Anton Marie

vppelt68

I suppose you're all familiar with this striking artwork by Wiek Luijken for Osprey Publishing, which adorns the cover of their book of the Ju 88 Kampfgeschwadern in North Africa and the Med:

2019-03-07_08-37-56

It's nothing less than L1+AM, the long time ride of Joachim Helbig, the most famous aircraft of the most famous pilot/commander of the most famous bomber unit of the Luftwaffe south of the Alps. It's been said to log more than 750 combat flight hours and a total of more than 1000 flight hours, before getting destroyed on the ground due to aerial bombardment.

Enough "mosts". This plane is definitely good for a ship-killer. It's combat record against 8th Army should qualify her as a tank-buster too. Probably spent several hours recceing for targets too. But a nightfighter... definitely no.

I'm jealous for all you half-blind scale guys and the variety of pre-Jumo J engined Ju 88:s you're given by ICM. In the proper scale we have the very good Revell Jumo J- versions, but backdating them to A-5, D-2 and C-4 is practically impossible. So we have the Zvezda early A-4 kit, that is almost as difficult to backdate, and the out-of-the-box A-5/A-17 which is unfortunately getting very hard to find.

But! :yahoo:! I bought a Zvezda A-4 kit and got the surplus A-5 parts from a fellow Britmodeller's A-17 build, a very big thanks goes to @Mikemx!

So Zvezda A-4 kit + Zvezda A-5 parts + Eduard masks + Humbrol enamels + AIMS and Revell decals are my way to go. Can't wait to get started - though I have a Revell A-4 to finish before that in the Maritime Patrol GB. Good to have a deadline!

Best regards, V-P

• Like 12

congratulations VP you're first off the block for this GB. Great choice as well, they were a real multirole aircraft, maybe not the very best in each class but they were very efficient in what they did.

You do know of course once you've finished her someone will release a proper model of what you're trying to build!

Good luck with the build, she's bound to be one to follow, look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Look what the postman brought yesterday! Short version with pics now, text later!

2019-03-15_11-46-37

A sturdy box with...

2019-03-15_11-52-17

...not just the kit A-4 parts, but also the A-5 parts left over from @Mikemx building his torpedo carrying A-17 variant. Thank you yet again!

2019-03-15_11-57-45

I'll be sampling the decals together from Aims, Airfix, Revell, Xtradecal and Zvezda pieces. V-P

• Like 7

Alistair, they're just for the canopy like Rich said. I think I don't need a pre-cut Ju 88 splinter mask, and at least not with this build, which will have monocolor upper surfaces. I try to take some decent pics along the way, as Zvezda Ju 88 build logs appear to be rare at the interweb. V-P

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Alistair, they're just for the canopy like Rich said. I think I don't need a pre-cut Ju 88 splinter mask, and at least not with this build, which will have monocolor upper surfaces. I try to take some decent pics along the way, as Zvezda Ju 88 build logs appear to be rare at the interweb. V-P

Ah the canopy ,forgot the greenhouse that the 88 comes with ,

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

Ah the canopy ,forgot the greenhouse that the 88 comes with ,

Wat, such a small thing that it is? I built a Frog Ju 88 one year after I had returned to this hobby, and made the canopy mask with Scotch Magic tape and a hobby knife - I will cherish that memory a looong time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Hello, I´ve worked on this kit on a few nights now, and so far I like it quite a lot. There´s nothing to actually show photos of yet, but I wanted to show you the surprise Zvezda had arranged re the instructions :rofl2:

2019-04-23_10-46-31

That is seriously confusing, but nothing a mirror can´t resolve! V-P

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

so what, you get a complete model and have to disassemble it???

Now that is a bit different, I wonder if the sprue is an AM item???

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Long time no c! While anxiously waiting for my three brand new Revell Ju 88 A-1 kits to arrive (should be here by monday, tuesday the latest according to the parcel tracking data!) and the MTO III GB to begin (in three months, that's horrible!) I suddenly remembered there's a cure to severe acute jueightyeightitis on my shelf of shame - the Anton Marie! Tadaa, it's back among the living again and I feel a lot better too 😊

2020-06-06_11-34-04

• Like 1

Funny, when I really should be doing something else, like building a Seafire, the Ju build seems gain an unbeliavable momentum. I could join wings and fuselage, but experience (this is my 5th Ju 88) tells me not yet to do that. It's an easy plane to finish the fuselage and wings separately and then just touch up the joins with paint later. This is just a test fit! The wingtips and fuselage band were repainted with Revell 301 - which compared to Hu 34 really is white. The inner bomb racks slightly overlap the wing to fuselage join and thus remain unattached until the very end. Unfortunately the Eduard mask set is for an A-4 and doesn't cater for the early BoLa C-position or dual, unbulged rear canopy and B-positions. Bugger! I replaced the windshield A-position mg with a leftover from the ICM Do 17. It's a beauty compared to Zvezda part. On a reverse swap, I'll replace the superior Zvezda dive brakes with mediocre Revell parts from my spares, and use the Zvezda part with one of the new Revell A-1 kits :coolio:

Let's not talk about the Navy GB deadline...

IMG_20200607_211100

V-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing wrong w/ a little shelf queen progress.  I've been picking away at my RF-4 when I should be focusing on getting the sub finished up.  :whistle:

• Thanks 1

Today is the last day of the In The Navy GB. My last moment attempt at entering a Seafire in it was promptly intercepted by the heroic Anton Marie. Since I can't tell whether it's an Anton (he) or Marie (she) I'll call this one it. It's now finally finished!

2020-06-14_03-06-55

This afternoon I took it out with me to enjoy some sunshine and warmth. It must have thought it was deployed to North Africa, because...

2020-06-14_06-35-26

...in a few hours it was wearing full insignia and markings for the theater, topside...

2020-06-14_06-36-06

...and under. Time to call this one *done*

Thanks Enzo and Rich, and @JOCKNEY for mental tutoring :winkgrin:

Oh and the Zvezda Ju 88 kit: highly recommended, especially if you manage to find the OOP A-4/5/14/17 boxing of it :thumbsup:. V-P

• Like 3

Congratulations V-P

That "88" looks the business and makes a pleasant change to see an African one rather than the normal green.

You still have a few hours left to finish the Seafire...... 😉

cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

Ah no way, that Seafire shall rest in pieces yet today. Somewhat scary though, regarding its progress, is the fact I re-opened a box containing a trio of those yummy and lovely Special Hobby Desert Air Force Kittyhawks I did not finish in their STGB, but are all "about 54%" :laugh: ready like the Anton Marie was. Surely I could finish those shelf queens before I begin the Sea- and Spitfires... Surely :wicked:

• Haha 1