This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Graham T

"Famous" ancestors

I've always known I was adopted & always regard my mum & dad as my parents.  However just recently, as the result of a DNA test my daughter had, I have become connected with my birth father's family (he died in 02) which means I have three half brothers & a half sister.  They've done some research over the years, and.......It appears that I am descended from the last women to be judicially beheaded in England & her husband who was one of Charles I regicides & was assassinated by a royalist agent in Lucerne, following the restoration.  

Anyone else with significant ancestors?

Well my great grandfathers brother on my mothers, mothers side, was Lord Andrew MacBeth Anderson who was the Solicitor General of Scotland and he served as Chairman of the Scottish Committee on Aliens, 1917–18 (I get a kick out of that as we are of Celtic Alien stock 😁) there are other interesting skeletons in the old familial closet but that shall suffice for now. Don't want to ruin the forthcoming bestseller 😁

My great grandfather, Edward, fought in the 2nd world war as a Royal Mechanical and Electrical Engineer. The details about his career in the Army are annoyingly vague, I'd love to have a proper look into it someday. I know he landed at normandy on d-day plus 1, I think before that he served in the north african campaign where he worked on the tanks. He came up with a way of making the guns more accurate on the tanks, I'm not sure how that works but one of my uncles has the blueprints I believe.

Here is a photo of him sitting on a knocked out Panther, he's the one in the middle wearing a hat.

0u3iuOI.jpg

Dunno if that counts as significant or famous but whatever.

Well... How about this then. 

In 913ad, there was the famous viking invasion at lindusfarne... The 4th oarsman (right side) had a brother who was the foremost boat varnisher of his time. Now he had a younger brother who was generally regarded as a complete nutcase and generally unstable, and by viking standards that quite something. His name was Vil lageidiote and always wanted to amount to something but sadly died when taking a bet that he could run around the long house with a fully grown reindeer on his back.... :)

sadly, great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandpa Vil, didnt really amount to much :)

I see it rubbed off then Steve.

@BlobMan was your great Grandad a Jock? That there's a Scottish Balmoral bunnet that laddie is wearing.

Nope, nuffin' 'ere. Common as muck 'n all.

Innit.

;D

As no one has ever kept track of peasants and dirt farmers, then no. No famous ancestors.

Chris

Only histories first recorded scrumper - Eve 👱‍♀️🐍

OK I'll get my Fig Leaf 🍃

Don't know about ancestors but I do know I am distantly related to the Hollywood film director Henry Hathaway.  He directed John Wayne many times, perhaps the most memorable of his films was directing Wayne as Rooster Cogburn in "True Grit."

Selwyn

Posted (edited)

Hi

Some say my ancestory goes back as far as adam and eve

apologies couldn't resist 😏

cheers J 

Edited by brewerjerry

I know that I've had many people question my ancestry - with comments like "descended from a long line of bachelors and spinsters" ...

6 hours ago, Beardie said:

@BlobMan was your great Grandad a Jock? That there's a Scottish Balmoral bunnet that laddie is wearing.

I'm not sure if scottish but that side of my family is all from north england, so maybe. Close enough right?

I have a second cousin several times removed (I'm not sure how many removed) Jack Berry Hobbs who was a well known cricketer from before and after WWI..  He has a gate named after him at Lords.

Which is kind of odd as I don't like Cricket being more of a Rugby man myself...

Not precisely famous (except to us) but my family fought on both sides in WW2.

Wehrmacht and RAF. Quite a combination. 

I work with a lot of Polish guys, and talk got around to Polish efforts in WW2.

I enjoyed telling them that my Great great Uncle visited Poland in 1939 in his tank..... And that my grandfather helped bomb the s**t out of them for doing it!

My father was a Scot and years ago, when on holiday up in the Highlands, my Mum got into conversation with an old gypsy piper (my Mum's description, not mine) and he seemed to know a lot about the origins of names. When she told him our family name, he was convinced that it was a name derived from the name Bruce and that something had been added to it over the years the alter it. He was certain that we were descendants of Robert Bruce. When I told my wife that, her disdainful reply was "Yeah! You and 30,00 others". Sometimes, there's no talking to these peasants!

John (Of the Clan Macfarlane).  

My Great Uncle was Captain Bernard Warburton-Lee, Captain of HMS Hardy and first VC to be Gazetted in WW2.

I have no-one famous in my family, though I do have a family line that runs back to the MacLeans of Mull. Somewhere along that line I am probably related to Beardie. My father's side comes from one of the Riding Families, more commonly referred to as the Border Reivers. A particularly bloodthirsty bunch who were greatly feared and rode with the leading Armstrong clan. Amoung our foul deeds, was the invention of Blackmail, and we remain one of the Families cursed by the Bishop of Carlisle, not that we ever took any notice.

However, the late Lady Bentwaters was of different stock. Her family history has been well charted, and it is known they came originally from Northern Germany, where they faced down the Romans. In 1066 when the Vikings landed in Yorkshire, King Harold marched North, accompanied by one Lerwic de Stanford, who was responsible for spearing a large Viking warrior who was blocking Stamford Bridge. This allowed the English army to rout the Vikings, who went home. Harold and Lerwic, who was part of the King's bodyguard then had to traipse off to Hastings to fight the Normans. This set a pattern, and Lerwic's descendents then fought in every major English battle and campaign right through to Arnhem. Another family member was bodyguard to the Black Prince. By way of reward through the ages, the family were conferred Land and Titles, and owned a sizeable chunk of Yorkshire for 300 years. During this time the family held high office in the Church and the Army. They fielded several Members of Parliament, a Chancellor of the Exchequer, turned down the position of Prime Minister twice, produced a Bishop of London and the first Housekeeper at Buckingham Palace. In recent times came Flt Lt George Stainforth, Test Pilot, responsible for writing the Pilot's Notes for most of the RAF's single engined aircraft in the 1930's and early '40's, Schneider Trophy pilot and World Air Speed Record holder.

Why she took up with a ne'er do well like me is a mystery.

Posted (edited)

My sister is busy researching but so far no one significant has popped up. There is some rumour that Todd Carty of Grange Hill and Eastenders fame is distant cousin. Another rumour suggests a we're related to a family one of whom was a Chancellor of the Exchequer in Westminster and another who features on a statue in Limerick city. 

My surname while rare goes back a long way. An almost mythical great warrior and possible ancestor was killed in battle against the dreaded Vikings during the battle of Clontarf  in 1014. Another received a Victoria Cross during the Indian mutiny. Another was an RFC Observer with five kills in WW1. So there's a few warriors in the family lineage including my Grandad who was a Gunner in WW1. 

No Kings though or killers of Kings. 

Edited by noelh

Hmm, well, one of my great great grandfathers was Simon Lake who had a go designing submarines with little wheels on them for driving along the sea bottom before WWI.

The US Navy wouldn't buy them but the Russians bought a couple. 

He wound up building Holland type boats until the company went out of business during WWII. Bought out by Electric boat or something.

img0.jpg

George Catlyn the western painter was another great, great on  grandmas side.

ffe3262b-4df5-4a16-b8c5-b22a67aee665.jpg

Also from that side I am apparently related to a French adventurer named Roger DeCatlyn

who got hired by William of Normandy to go to England to beat up on a bunch of Saxon types way back when.

conqueror.jpg?itok=u5HNN0ba

(He is the French looking guy on the left)

One of my paternal grandfathers was the personal ice cream maker and confectioner to a Bohemian Count back in the 1860s -70s

7 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

(He is the French looking guy on the left)

Is he the one with the bunches of onions around his neck?

Nothing much on my side of the family, but apparently one of my wife's great uncles was president of El Salvador and  one of her first cousins was married to the Mexican ambassador to the Court of St James. My mums second husband had an uncle who was an engineer on the Titanic. 

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I have no-one famous in my family, though I do have a family line that runs back to the MacLeans of Mull. Somewhere along that line I am probably related to Beardie. My father's side comes from one of the Riding Families, more commonly referred to as the Border Reivers. A particularly bloodthirsty bunch who were greatly feared and rode with the leading Armstrong clan. Amoung our foul deeds, was the invention of Blackmail, and we remain one of the Families cursed by the Bishop of Carlisle, not that we ever took any notice.

However, the late Lady Bentwaters was of different stock. Her family history has been well charted, and it is known they came originally from Northern Germany, where they faced down the Romans. In 1066 when the Vikings landed in Yorkshire, King Harold marched North, accompanied by one Lerwic de Stanford, who was responsible for spearing a large Viking warrior who was blocking Stamford Bridge. This allowed the English army to rout the Vikings, who went home. Harold and Lerwic, who was part of the King's bodyguard then had to traipse off to Hastings to fight the Normans. This set a pattern, and Lerwic's descendents then fought in every major English battle and campaign right through to Arnhem. Another family member was bodyguard to the Black Prince. By way of reward through the ages, the family were conferred Land and Titles, and owned a sizeable chunk of Yorkshire for 300 years. During this time the family held high office in the Church and the Army. They fielded several Members of Parliament, a Chancellor of the Exchequer, turned down the position of Prime Minister twice, produced a Bishop of London and the first Housekeeper at Buckingham Palace. In recent times came Flt Lt George Stainforth, Test Pilot, responsible for writing the Pilot's Notes for most of the RAF's single engined aircraft in the 1930's and early '40's, Schneider Trophy pilot and World Air Speed Record holder.

Why she took up with a ne'er do well like me is a mystery.

My mother's maiden name was Armstrong. They were some of the first English settlers in Nova Scotia after the Acadians were expelled in 1755. Most likely they were some of the losers after Culloden. From what I know, they were of Anglo-Saxon descent and were Border clansmen. They apparently fought with, for and against everybody nearby. So, maternally, I'm descended from some of the most miserable SOB's from that time and place.

Chris

I walked past Alexi Sayle in London a few years ago.... Does that count?

(I shall retrieve my outer garments, at this point).

Chris.