Anils Workbench #2: CyberHobby 1/200 Vulcan in progress

Todays progress: RLM75 mottles but heavier than the 109, I quite like it. Easy 15 minute job with the Sotar and Mr color.  Tip drying, paint blobs, clogged airbrush? Not even issues with right paint and gear.

48172883266_30f1352a3d_b.jpg

Wing crosses masked and sprayed

48172888121_32dc32c787_b.jpg

48172969502_4820ec1a5f_b.jpg

All glossed up and maybe some decalling later dependent on Sauvignon Blanc consumption during dinner and Killjoys Series 3.

Toodle pip

anil

• Like 4

That is some lovely mottling. Is that with your 0.4mm or smaller needle?

9 hours ago, azureglo said:

And some decalling before bedtime:

Your post 'Sauvignon Blanc consumption' decal works has worked well. Looking rather smart.

Stuart

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

That is some lovely mottling. Is that with your 0.4mm or smaller needle?

Your post 'Sauvignon Blanc consumption' decal works has worked well. Looking rather smart.

Stuart

My new go to setting solution:

48177899367_aed999b14d_b.jpg

The Sotar 20/20F I have has the standard fine set up which I believe is a 0.2 but there's some deep voodoo going with this brush:  (From last year's Airfix 190 build)

mottle2.jpg&key=ac559f8faf41ad08fd1a6d69

First off, it has a very short body and some interesting needle tapers. It's actually designed for illustrators and according an email I got from Badger, is optimized for water/alcohol based  illustrators inks, so it's super thinned paint or nothing. It takes a fair bit of practice to learn how to use it for super fine detail and insanely low air pressure plus paint which is 80-90% thinners. It's not a general purpose brush, the H&S evo/infinity's take care of that but for super fine touch ups, detail work,, mottles it's even better than the Custom Micron at about a third of the price. For me it's pretty essential while I frolic in the gentlemans scale playground.

A few years ago they were being sold for $60-75 during one of Amazon's wild blow outs and lot of ill informed modellers grabbed them and then started complaining it wouldn't spray Stynylrez, Vallejo custard grade, coarse sand etc. A classic case of trying to use a no 11 scalpel to chop down a redwood, as every modeller knows, it's always the kit, tool, paint or manufacturer at fault never a lack of ability or skill or the wrong tool choice. :rofl2:

Because of these whiny folk who couldn't work out what it was for and how to use it, the poor Sotar got a bit of a bad rep in the modelling world but thats the internet for you, the blind leading the blind, wearing raybans in an unlit cave. Oh and about now some newbie/experten + fanboys should be chiming in that actually the universes best fine detail brush is the Iwata custom micron, yours for a mere £300-400 and thats what modeller every should have at least  three of...:yawn:

Back to the Sotar, its best feature is easily, the incredibly precise micrometer setting at the back that lets you do the superfine sub-millimetre work. At about £130 with a spare needle it's an amazing tool for miniature painters, 144/72 folk et al, not essential but it'll save you a lot of angst if you do stuff like 1/72 mottling, I did this mottling in about 15 minutes including stripping and cleaning the brush.

This is a great review of it from one few internet experts who actually knows what he's talking about:

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/badger-sotar

Anil

• Like 4

Nice, we're done after 7 days and 5.5 hours.  RFI here

Lovely kit, everything fits and if you like ground hugging motorised tricycles, acceptable undercarriage/bays.  All the decals are from the Skys sheet and as you expect from Cartograph, superb in density and application if not necessarily accurate per se .The detail you could add would be the DF loop, Morane mast aerial and boarding step , This one doesn't get any of that because like the aerial wire, it would barely survive 10 seconds on a desk even if Royal Mail didn't mangle it foist.

And we're off to the marketplace.  11 done for 2019, man I feel good doing these and in my way.

Interesting observation: On BM the previously done 109 got so much attention it won me day for the first time unlike the Spit that was pretty much  "meh". On fleabay its reversed, had a few more offers on the Spit, 10 watchers as opposed to 109s 7 and lots more more page views:  We BMers certainly seem to favour a bit of  Messerschmitt action over the Spitfire it seems.

Anil

• Like 3

Y’know every man has to look deep within himself sometimes and ask some searching questions like,

“What would look really neat jammed up an acrylic rod and banking hard to port?”

Well one of these, duh!

48196040647_8a7aa0404c_b.jpg

Picked up a few when Jadlam or emodels (can’t remember which) decided £7.25 was a fair price for them. Got a 1/72 commission build of the Airfix looming coming up so a good pain(t) test and bearing in mind that my little eBay Spit has 2:1 ratio of watchers over the 109E, I think a little bit of Union Jack action is in order. Honey of kit:

48196040297_527687a0c9_b.jpg

48196039982_c0f3b549e3_b.jpg

Man those gazillion 2 mm wheels wouldn't be much fun masking and spraying,

48195990551_628b1731a8_b.jpg

Look teeny tiny pilots and “cockpit”!!

48196076516_8368d2efcf_b.jpg

XH558 on the decal sheet says this Vulcan will definitely take to the sky…Lovely size for a desktop piece, but should I do it with or without the Shrikes and underwing pod?

Anil

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Definitely without Shrikes if you're making her as 558.

Woohoo no fiddling with teeny tiny shrikes!

3 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Black dog aircraft please.

Black Buck 1, 2, 3 & 7? That would make it XM607 with the three colour camo with a fiddly wrap over the leading edge..but no Shrikes!!.🤔

• Like 1

First off, flight test, good show chaps we're airborne!

48196314152_0b102a24ba_b.jpg

All the bits primed and quick test of Alclad steel on the exhausts. The interior "black" was 50/50 Mr Surfacer 1500 black and grey for a bit of visibility through the miniscule canopy glazing. The pilots should be fun but thats tomorrow, now where's my Winsor & Newton Series 7 000?

48197962422_24cef512b7_b.jpg

BTW if you haven't read Roland Whites book on XM607, you should, especially the bits relating to the Victor tanker pilots and the refueling commander on board 607 who along with Withers has to go down as one the of most bonkers pilots in all of aviation history...mind you the chaps from Phoenix Squadron would be vying for the title as well, great books and should be on your shelf.

See y'all in the morn, good folk

Anil

• Like 3

Well apart from giving some red nose love to my little pony, cracked on with this little honey: Painted 3 mm high pilots, madness and no, I didn't take the seams off...

48206695186_cafceb4ef8_b.jpg

Seated:

48206697251_1125890888_b.jpg

An IP of sorts with wee control yokes, I know it's fashionable to show this sort of thing with a ruler but trust me the actual yokes are about 1mm x 0.5mm, funky molding or what?

48206698986_f3120efa4e_b.jpg

48206701876_885457f836_b.jpg

Multipart intakes+ compressor fans in Alclad aluminum, funky tape things are an attempt to make an easily removable masking- stuff like this usually turns into a tweezer twiddling hour of madness., I know how to zap the seams courtesy of my truly horrible Anigrand in May but will live with it for the "prototype" build.

48206755317_4e9a0568ea_b.jpg

Canopy on tomorrow after drying from its Future bath and she'll be masked up for some primer depending on my finishing sprint for the Mustang on bench #3. 

Toodle pip chaps and chapesses,

Anil

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm this one needed a lot more TLC to get zipped up, bottom of fuselage/wings needed a lot of fettling to sit right but even then some gaps. Surprising for modern far east kit.

48317305596_d0edb4f41a_b.jpg

Tomorrow I'll lessen the gaps with surfacer 500 wiped off as this really needs to be done asap as I'm itching to try out the XH558 scheme 

Cheers

Anil

• Like 2

And this is why you should buy a Cricut Explore Air 2: Twenty  minutes to trace, draw and cut these and they even have the rounded corners...

48324254537_22a904805d_b.jpg

48324136871_78f1fb8420_b.jpg

All zipped up  and ready for primers but a wet and humid day and too lazy to run the dehumidifier.

48324258057_c45d98de88_b.jpg

Surprising amount of gaps and parts that need to be added but not mentioned, my first Dragon/Cyber Hobby, nicely molded but no Tamigawa. That said its growing on me, if it fetches a decent price I'd see myself building a few more as its a nice size for display, even the 144 version is huge.

Later

Anil

• Like 1

Making a meal of this one, managed to mislay lay the silly and badly fitting nose refueling probe (that I couldn't be bothered to replace) despite ample dedicated storage per build...meh.

48338905036_e6bb460446_b.jpg

1mm rod and sprue glop to be sanded down, actually not a big deal and will look miles better with an  Albion tube probe with blobby  end bit:

48338902211_2702a115b9_b.jpg

Anil

• Like 2