Anils Workbench #2: CyberHobby 1/200 Vulcan in progress

Oi! Anil, what’s a British Aussie pilot doing driving a German 109?? I do say, this is all looking rather good isn’t it... Rabbit Leader (and Robert Shaw) do approve. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice progress Anil :) 

Ah, BMC Chisels - I have lusted after those (actually this type) since seeing the nice wooden box the sets come in. Pricey though eh? I might persevere with my Swann-Morton fine blades until the madness takes me…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice progress Anil :) 

Ah, BMC Chisels - I have lusted after those (actually this type) since seeing the nice wooden box the sets come in. Pricey though eh? I might persevere with my Swann-Morton fine blades until the madness takes me…

£47 delivered,?! Oy that doesn't even warrant a second thought, You BUY, YOU BUY NOW!!! The proceeds of this BoB duo will be duly applied to the A set for yours truly.

PS if you ever see one of these sadly discontinued Mission chisels, trample over children and little old ladies* to get one, they are utterly brilliant, especially for bits of sprue left on part: They come in 1mm/2  flat/round tip but boy is it a beautifully made and incredibly useful tool.

48096922322_883735194a_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Just wondering who the biggest 'tool tart' is :hmmm:.

Stuart

That would be Ced, for I have many,many things but no mini vacuum with glowing green snot...:envy:

* like much of my "advice" this will almost certainly get you jail time: don't do this, walk in a calm orderly manner to the vendor.

• Haha 5

33 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I've got a couple of those, I wonder what that makes me?

Terry

Then depending on the rest of your tool stash , you may consider yourself a  "Honorary Tool Cupcake😁 Full Tool Tartdom requires dedication and much more emptying of bank account. And while we're  on the subject why only two? They have many, many sizes and you bought TWO!!! 

Anil

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Just wondering who the biggest 'tool tart' is :hmmm:.

Stuart

I wonder that sometimes Stuart but the prize (if there is one… is there? Is it a TOOL??!!) must go to Anil. He's suggested, or has, most of the things I have AND he's got those (drool) chisels AND a pretty full set of 'Hobby Elements' stuff. Envious? Me? :envy:

Oh, but wait…

42 minutes ago, azureglo said:

That would be Ced, for I have many,many things but no mini vacuum with glowing green snot...:envy:

Thanks Anil but nah, you're still the biggest tart IMHO :rofl2:

(A diesel 172? Does that mean you can't fly over low emission zones?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CedB said:

(A diesel 172? Does that mean you can't fly over low emission zones?)

Gah, the words "fly" and "diesel" make my blood run cold...though I will re-qualify  shortly on bizjets and they use a sort of diesel. However that has the decency to go bang in a proper jet engine not drive pistons around in a some bastardised Mercedes tractor engine 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

Then depending on the rest of your tool stash , you may consider yourself a  "Honorary Tool Cupcake😁 Full Tool Tartdom requires dedication and much more emptying of bank account. And while we're  on the subject why only two?

OK, so we are talking tools now, how does this compare?

20190620_112954

It can be reconfigured to a micro mill as well.

Does that qualify me for more than just the Honorary Tool Cupcake?

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

OK, so we are talking tools now, how does this compare?

20190620_112954

It can be reconfigured to a micro mill as well.

Does that qualify me for more than just the Honorary Tool Cupcake?

Terry

You sir are the "Grand Five Tier Full Wedding Cake with Real Gold Leaf of Tooldom", all  hail  Terry!

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Quick Stuart, get your dental vac former out........

20190620-171331.jpg

My tool acquisitions for the week, I forgot about the chisels and sciber purchases. Does this make me the 'Tool Tart of the Week'?

Stuart

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

20190620-171331.jpg

My tool acquisitions for the week, I forgot about the chisels and sciber purchases. Does this make me the 'Tool Tart of the Week'?

Stuart

Y' know Stuart, I'm a gettin' might bored of all this toothbrushing, flossing and mouthwash jazz, any chance you could run  up a set of dentures fer me?, Yeah, Whip 'em out at compline , soak 'em in a glass of Mr Leveling overnight and we'd be ready for the toughest brisket or even my mother's meatloaf, really pointy fangs would be nice too...

A

• Haha 3

Enough tool time already some modelling needs to happen:

Scale thickness sight glass and reflector lens for the sight,

48099892347_65b8664c18_b.jpg

Note lovely thin canopy parts (that almost fit),

48099843368_45730fed60_b.jpg

Used some Montex masks but needed to recut the rear panel ones more accurately in Tamiya tape as the Montex ones were the wrong shape and the thick black vinyl does not conform around curves. Fiddly and time consuming but there are three more to build so a reasonable investment,

48099863158_e3a60e9681_b.jpg

Flaps and rudder are an annoying butt join that is unesccaryly needlessly fiddly to line up but patience solves everything,

48099845832_dbf3d805d0_b.jpg

Well a day late for primer and RLM 65 but still not bad for three days toil at the tank production line. I expect a stern reprimand from Commissar Tomoshenko for my tardiness...

Anil

• Like 5

Terry's lathe :envy:

Stuart I have the vac former on my wish list… one day :) 

Nice progress Anil - that reflector looks really good. 

Montex masks? Didn't you use your cutter? I know copying masks is naughty but, er… oh OK, carry on :D 

• Like 2

That reflector sight looks great Anil. The Airfix 109E looks like a pretty decent kit.

Lego is a must Stuart, great for jigs etc and absolutely essential for casting and moulding.

Terry

• Like 2

On 6/21/2019 at 8:46 AM, CedB said:

Nice progress Anil - that reflector looks really good. 

Montex masks? Didn't you use your cutter? I know copying masks is naughty but, er… oh OK, carry on :D 

Thanks Comrade Cedbrovnik of Tank Factory No 2. The masks are old stock, bought many years ago when I was a humble newbie- I use up all existing masks before drawing & cutting my own. As for copying masks, who cares? The actual design belongs to whoever created the kit canopy if you think about it. I remember someone bitching on an old build thread about the rocket science involved in drawing masks and the millions of baby seals who will die if I copy them: Duh, the copyright belongs to who ever designed the canopy/camo/marking e.g. Tamiya, the Luftwaffe, RAF etc.  Vendors just pay someone to trace them out so they fit a 3d object and then sell them. If anyone is stealing copyrighted material, the vendors would be if they weren't already public domain, or in the category of no one gives a hoot. 🙄.

As for the "hours" involved in drawing them, seriously? I did a 1/72 RAF Spitfire B pattern set in Illustrator, cut, adjusted and re-cut in 35 minutes...and I'm not even very proficient in using Illustrator. Mind you following this chaps logic, the RAF lawyers will shortly be kicking down my door and hauling me off to jail for stealing their intellectual property. :rofl2:

On 6/21/2019 at 9:04 AM, Terry1954 said:

That reflector sight looks great Anil. The Airfix 109E looks like a pretty decent kit.

Lego is a must Stuart, great for jigs etc and absolutely essential for casting and moulding.

Terry

Cheers Terry

The Airfix 109 has some challenges and is humbled by the (inaccurate?)Tamiya kit and I did both recently

There's no contest in which one is the better kit and it shows in the Tamiya's UK price but the main thing is the AF is a piece of cake to do wheels up unlike the ground hugger that the Tamiya is designed to be. I did the Tamiya Udet Racer as wheels up but needed to sand down wheels, cut my own thin gear doors etc. Interesting looking at my copy of Kitbase, I have 6 Tam 109Es and 4 Airfix...mind you I got my Tamiyas in Volks in Tokyo when I was travelling there a lot a few years back. From memory I think I paid about £4.00 for each one!

Lego is a must for jigs, throwing at errant snails,  etc. Mind you following the logic of my masks "theft" I imagine Lego will shortly be extraditing me to Denmark as I often use knockoff Lego bought in Home Bargains, Maybe the RAF and Lego can agree on a joint sentence: A lifetime of building only Avis and old A Model kits?

Stuff like the sights, thin scale glass etc all count for me. This is very visible and gets instant comments. I wince when I see someone spend hours or days folding flap interiors, attaching microscopic levers ( that fall off during painting), fold teeny tiny rudder  pedals no one could see without an endoscope: Then the jam in the kit gunsight in full view with a thick 1/2 mm sight glass with a nice seam down the middle and blob red and green paint onto the painted wings to represent nav and landing lights.

I like to focus on what is visible to the naked eye and scale gun sights, armoured glass windscreens, proper clear lights and decent paintwork always win over micro-engineering. That said I do enjoy some detail builds, especially my friend Nigel Heath's and of course Tom's work s but I would be climbing up walls if a model took longer a few weeks to finish ( unless I'm ignoring it deliberately like my Vietnam Spook).

I think a lot of mojo loss is banging one's head against these types of micro etched brick walls: Nothing gives you positive feedback like looking at a beautiful finished 1/72 plane that was just a collection of unpainted plastic bits a week or two ago!

Anil 

• Like 5

And the last update for the day, the slow* drying Mr Color has been applied prior to the 65. Went straight onto the very light grey Surfacer 1500 as I didn't want the near luminescent effect when white undercoating it.

48103271153_efacb93563_b.jpg

Off to sunny Dorset to show my 89 year old mother how to use Whatsapp on her shiny new  Galaxy S9, assuming she's remembered to charge it.

Anil

* Slow drying for Mr Color = 1-2 hours

• Like 4

On 6/21/2019 at 9:32 PM, Courageous said:

Your right about your yellow over grey, I do the same.

I'm agog that your mother has an Galaxy S9 let alone wanting to learn Whatsapp!

Stuart

Yup for  89 years she's pretty switched on even though she did recently say " I like your friend Nigel ( Heath) you should be more like him, quiet and thoughtful". Good to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't religiously white undercoat red and yellow!

Back to the modelling, A day of using God's Paint: Mr Color/Leveling

RLM 65 at lunchtime

48109721976_cff32f16c2_b.jpg

RLM 02 at 16:00

48109834517_e1809ce47f_b.jpg

Then RLM 71 an hour ago.

48109770503_0d487897e7_b.jpg

No tape lift, no splatters, clogs,  summoning of the antichrist etc, just beautiful, smooth and even paint that's rock hard in a few hours with masking to boot. Speaking of which the AML masks for this were a bit of a fail, they cut the masks so you spray  the RLM 71 first, mask and then spray the RLM 02...not really a starter unless you're going for black base type of effect. No worries a few minutes with Tamiya tape and all was in hand- I'll recut this in mirror image. I left off the white wing tips as I'm matching the lovely Roy Cross painting, so if it's wrong, sue him.

Annoyingly I made one mistake in the wing RLM 71 shapes. The few bits of overspray through not properly stuck down masking will be deal with during the heavy mottling phase tomorrow. A well earned sundowner and  mums leg of lamb curry beckons with that last episode on Expanse series 3. Mmm Naomi Nagata...

Nighty night peeps

Anil

• Like 4

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

" I like your friend Nigel ( Heath) you should be more like him, quiet and thoughtful".

Is you're mother implying that you're not?

Back to 'Emil', the splinter camo is looking good.

Stuart

• Like 1