Anils Workbench #2: CyberHobby 1/200 Vulcan in progress

2 hours ago, azureglo said:

Shame as a good, concise '72 Hunter WIP would be welcome.

It may happen but I've found what I think is a concise build thread on here that I'll be using:

Your masks seem to be working well.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wot two updates in one day? Well that's what you get for using god's paint: Mr Color & Mr Levelling thinner. Peeled back the masks and paint heaven, No gloss coat today as I've been invited out for late nite drinkies & dancing with by a lady friend... Just as well, as I knocked some of the dark earth off by careless use of the mask loosening cocktail stick, touch ups, gloss coat and decals tomorrow. 6.5 hours so far, a bit slower than my Jug methinks, too much human thinners used this week = ethanol.

48067802208_00db16e097_b.jpg

That said in the spirit of @Nigel Heath, here's my celebratory pre-partying supper: Chicken Tagine with herby Tabbouleh.

48068191667_81d6f8325e_b.jpg

Nighty night.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Courageous said:

It may happen but I've found what I think is a concise build thread on here that I'll be using:

Stuart

Multiple BM & Google searches didn't yield this for reasons unknown: That said @Tomoshenko is one of my all time favourite modellers ( see his I/72 micro-engineered Matchbox Fury in the "flesh" and you'll be converted), so a big thank you Stuart. He's also a lovely, modest bloke to chat to over a pint or two!

A

• Like 3

Chicken Tagine with herby Tabbouleh.

Looks very tasty and my heart is filled with warmth, I do like the cheeky inclusion of a pretty full glass of red wine there, I think we need to meet up soon and I would like to cook another recipe for you (maybe steak based this time, your call). And yes @Tomoshenko is an extraordinarily fine modeller and nice chap to boot. Great company along with @Billydick and @CedB

Best Regards,

Nigel

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Looks very tasty and my heart is filled with warmth, I do like the cheeky inclusion of a pretty full glass of red wine there, I think we need to meet up soon and I would like to cook another recipe for you (maybe steak based this time, your call). And yes @Tomoshenko is an extraordinarily fine modeller and nice chap to boot. Great company along with @Billydick and @CedB

Best Regards,

Nigel

Yes indeedy, now that your helicopter madness has abated it's definitely time for a get together! Y'know I agree with you , there are some nice folk  on BM, and they're so accepting, after all they let me join...

Anil

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Basingstoke, the nightlife capital of England,not. Still there was a cheesy 70's disco where I showed off my funky disco moves and will probably remain celibate to my death thereof as if the scale modelling wasn't already making them stampede for the emergency exits...

Its decal time: OOB ish with a few stencils. Cut the large codes from the huge block of carrier film, even with my beloved Mr Color Super Clear III UV Cut Gloss ( catchy  name or what?) its way too risky for silvering. According to Airfix, this had no under wing roundels, think again, can't have any prospective purchasers asking "Oy oy, where's me decals then?" Doped gun patches from and Xtradecal red stripes sheet and few walkways and stencils from the spares folder.

48074402156_d4cbd61364_b.jpg

No issues as expected, overnight to dry and then tomorrow Mr Color Super Clear III UV Cut Matt (as you probably guessed). and final assembly!

Cheers

Anil

• Like 6

Well, this one's all done in one week with a total build time of 8 hours from opening boxvelope to ready for beauty shots. 1.5 hours were spent working out minor flaws and annotating how to easily fix, for future builds - productionising - so all in, 6.5 hours. Pretty good as these will either be sold or given as gifts , its surprising what Spitfires do to British males of any age...

Now before y'all think I'm a money grabbing capitalist ( which I am by the way), this was inspired by seeing this abomination for sale on fleabay.

48080752506_c5c8a6934e_b.jpg

48080752861_6f092b9b85_b.jpg

Incredibly this and even worse examples are actually being bought by folk for decent sums and that got my goat: One should always be positive but seriously? For sale? I've got 10 year old paint mules that look better than this so I figured if folk want to buy finished kits let them at least have the choice to buy reasonably well finished and diligently made ones. This one has a few minor flaws, including the thick and will never bed down Airfix walkway lines I should have binned years ago considering I have some lovely Fantasy Printshop and Xtradecal ones...but still passable for the miser in me who refuses to throw away things.

And here are a few bench top beauty shots: Man, there is is something utterly beautiful about a Spitfire banking and showing off that elegant elliptical wing...

48080842637_1abf190d72_b.jpg

48080773688_5eea992d61_b.jpg

48080747731_1d8bf98705_b.jpg

Figured out how to make these position lights work with painted edges an still with a shiny reflector, much easier than you'd think. Canopy has been duly touched up.

48080747606_e3624fa065_b.jpg

Apparently the landing light was orange...BTW these are etched stainless steel and there's an 8mm N52 neodymium magnet a few millimeters away on the inside of the wing...hmm, CA and accelerator  were my friends here. Underwing roundels are wrong but this is a sales tester as described before

48080773658_652128e961_b.jpg

48081422631_0bae52177a_b.jpg

Armored glass as required and scratched sight looks quite passable but in hindsight as the even better Quickboost ones only cost £0.43 each and need only painting - thats the way forward.

48080815646_7769b81679_b.jpg

One final beauty shot (yes all my props spin now...) and one very cheesy photoshop moment...

48080773498_b2b42384eb_b.jpg

48080746706_ee96063521_b.jpg

RFI tomorrow  and as for the Russian tank factory  line @Tomoshenko...some notables may occasionally  crop up in RFI as I'll be using a lovely Xtradecal sheet, the one with K5054 but hell, once you've seen one Spitfire...

48080817266_95d66e3d98_b.jpg

Thanks for tuning in,

Anil

• Like 9

Impressive work as usual Anil. Lovely neat and tidy.

On 6/15/2019 at 7:34 PM, azureglo said:

Multiple BM & Google searches didn't yield this for reasons unknown: That said @Tomoshenko is one of my all time favourite modellers ( see his I/72 micro-engineered Matchbox Fury in the "flesh" and you'll be converted), so a big thank you Stuart. He's also a lovely, modest bloke to chat to over a pint or two!

A

On 6/16/2019 at 2:02 AM, Nigel Heath said:

Best Regards,

Nigel

Thanks for the kind words chaps. Makes me feel quite humble coming from you two accomplished modellers. PS I have not gone AWOL, just busy on my allotment - May and June the busiest times, but I will be back to fiddling with plastic in the near future.

On 6/15/2019 at 6:57 PM, Courageous said:

Stuart

Stuart my Hunter WIP and RFI were destroyed and lost by Photobucket's act of electronic butchery and barbarity. I was going to reconstruct the thread, but my computer crashed sometime back and I had to do a factory reboot, hence all my piccies were lost. Rest assured if you do choose to build a Hunter (and the Revell 1/72 is the best and only show in town at that scale, plus it's just been re-released) I will be following. I also have some reference data which I'm happy to share.

Okay apologies for the thread drift Anil, but

2 hours ago, azureglo said:

but hell, once you've seen one Spitfire...

c'mon dude as the saying goes, "one can never have enough Spitfires". That said though the Hunter is a beautiful aircraft, crying out for an Anil makeover....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

hence all my piccies were lost.

I read through that thread a few weeks ago and the pictures were all there. I've just had another quick look and the first three pages look good to me. 

Stuart

• Like 1

So onwards fellow proletarians, in honour of the Mighty Tomoshenko we have christened the work room:

48086910093_9c2b3ccab5_b.jpg

Come brothers and sisters, let us strive together valiantly, for increased output with patriotic zeal... Doh-ski!

48086438032_e3e2c21436_b.jpg

OK, I have a goodly pile of these like many folk but want to put it head to head with Spit and see which one fetches more: My money's on the Spit. I've built at least three but this time it's joining the Spit as a "stock" item so I need to productionize a bit more. Apart from the fragile control column and tailplane struts I don't remember any major problems. Sprues:

48086442822_08b7f4540a_b.jpg

Markings with either Wicks plane (8) or No.6. I think if I went for Wicks mount it should be 65/71/02 with 71/02 mottles? Any experten out there feel free to chip in. I remember this glorious Roy Cross illustration for the 70's Airfix 1/24 issue. I think I may try and do the  71 gun troughs if I go with this one, stuff like that  always has a wow factor. Mind you no. 6 is pretty eye catching, not worried about E-4 canopy, many E-3s had them retrofitted in the field according the many, many  reference tomes I have.

48086449677_118bb5d9e1_b.jpg

48087030732_89998180af_b.jpg

Mottling 1/72  no longer concerns me since investing in my Sotar 20/20 and working out how Mr Color and Mr Paint behave.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Nice Spitfire, and I'm sure we'll be halfway towards a sparkling 109 by Friday.

21 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

That said though the Hunter is a beautiful aircraft, crying out for an Anil makeover....

But I bet he won't be able to make the prop spin. :poke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice Spitfire, and I'm sure we'll be halfway towards a sparkling 109 by Friday.

But I bet he won't be able to make the prop spin. :poke:

Turboprop Hunter you say...hmm 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, azureglo said:

48086910093_9c2b3ccab5_b.jpg

Brilliant mate. I've got the best tank factory according to товарищ Anil.

"So comrades, come rally..." better stop there before I get carried away.

• Haha 1

Lovely finish to the spitfire, especially the wing roundels and they are a pain with the surface detail being both raised and..... not raised (vocabulary isn’t with me at the mo) 

looking forward to to seeing the messer built as I have a couple in the stash.

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Nice Spit Anil and good luck with the sales drive! :) 

The theory is to make the hobby pay for itself while I constantly develop my skills and get comfortable with fillers, canopies airbrushes etc etc. They also make absolutely bonzer presents for birthdays et al. Try it,the joy they bring the right recipient is well worth fighting a badly fitting kit! In  terms of profitability its pitiful compared to the day gig of short term trading but it soaks up the dead air waiting for markets to do their stuff...

So far intriguingly it has put a large surplus in the modelling piggy bank...I think I need some of these don't you agree?

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=107&cat=paint&sold=0&state=0&sortid=0&target=series&searchkey=BMC+Chise

Man, a 0.75mm chisel, now that just gotta be useful and only £26 plus shipping!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2019 at 5:21 PM, azureglo said:

Markings with either Wicks plane (8) or No.6. I think if I went for Wicks mount it should be 65/71/02 with 71/02 mottles? Any experten out there feel free to chip in. I remember this glorious Roy Cross illustration for the 70's Airfix 1/24 issue. I think I may try and do the  71 gun troughs if I go with this one, stuff like that  always has a wow factor. Mind you no. 6 is pretty eye catching, not worried about E-4 canopy, many E-3s had them retrofitted in the field according the many, many  reference tomes I have.

watching the ebay sales drive with interest. I'm not a colours Experte, but I thought since you invited comments, I'd just point out that the dagger pennant (3. Staffel emblem) should be BLUE. Wick continued to use this badge after he left 3. Staffel, probably since he flew the same machine throughout, WNr 5344. There is also ‘famously’ a small hummingbird emblem just aft of the cockpit...see the page devoted to Wick's aircraft on a blog not a million miles from here..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, azureglo said:

Turboprop Hunter you say...hmm 

Too late. I built one 30 years ago. Canard with a rear contra prop. And Swiss Air Force.

I think I still have it somewhere (1/48th Academy) I'll see if I can dig it out.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Too late. I built one 30 years ago. Canard with a rear contra prop. And Swiss Air Force.

I think I still have it somewhere (1/48th Academy) I'll see if I can dig it out.

Pete

Yes but does the prop spin as the OP requested?

Not as such, no. Gearbox oil changes have been far and few in the last three decades.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Oh, and there are health and safety reasons too. Ha!

• Haha 2

No flying day : weather cleared up but only thing left free on the field was a diesel powered 172, gah, I'd rather give one of Tomo's autogyros a spin than that. So back to the bench after tending my windswept coriander shoots, Rolling along nicely, pilot painted, basic oil wash and minimal  detail paint. As usual some tape belts to hold Herr Wick in place. Pilot is going for the hand offs approach and looks strangely like @Rabbit Leader albeit blurrier...

48094286122_f3648f5197_b.jpg

48094187021_310206df37_b.jpg

And we have an airframe: Remembered to run a scalpel alopng to the rear top and bottom fuselage edges to show the prominent multipart fuselage join lines. No real drama but annoying amounts of minor flash and raised ejector marks. Work through them patiently and everything fits. 

48094225058_25923b102e_b.jpg

Dihedral also good, not the silly gull wings some folks are fond of. Onto seam filling, canopies  and we're good for primer tomorrow. Comrades, Great Leader Stalin would be pleased with our progress!

Dobroy nochi tovarishchi!

• Like 6