Anils Workbench #2: CyberHobby 1/200 Vulcan in progress

Index

Eurofighter Typhoon Nicholson VC DONE:  WIP     RFI

Airfix 1/72 Spitfire 1                         DONEWIP     RFI

Airfix 1/72 Bf109E                            DONE:   WIP    RFI

Zvezda 1/72 FW190A                       DONE:   WIP    RFI  

Cyber Hobby Vulcan 1/200                            WIP

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As previously mentioned, I'm a greedy gannet having no less than three workstations to build kits.

So as No1 is already up and running, here is no 2:

Note to @Tomoshenko, I've arranged the tools correctly this time ; Scalpel, Hyper Gate Saw and then, Single Edge Nipper. I have of course made sure they are correctly aligned to avoid any distress...

46415349515_71b255d77f_b.jpg

• Like 8

So first up: I scored a spare sheet for this Nicholson VC marking Revell EF2000A as the supplied one was very slightly out of register.

46606882654_284b1feb67_b.jpg

Looking closely, its only the fuselage roundels that need binning so I thought what about getting some use out of this particular bit of loft insulation and practising some Panzer Putty masking at the same time? 

47277473752_97b8299bda_b.jpg

Scored these a few years back when @Creative Models Ltd were blowing them out at £4.99. Lovely (but probably inaccurate) detailing. Simple build as nearly everything is two big bits. Will be adding a Quickboost seat (also scored for pennies at LSA's closing sale and if I can find it) plus a holographic film HUD like my F-15.

33454266168_593dfd6828_b.jpg

As usual first job is wheels up- HB aren't too keen on this so the nail grinder was put to good use and doors "adjusted".

32388189067_6ab44a435c_b.jpg

Will need a bit of Mr Surfacer to neaten but its the underside, who looks at that?

40364977953_205b5ecb62_b.jpg

More plastic brutality to get no 1 magnet in, might stick in a second as I want to bank this like my sweet li'l Wildcat. Pit bits are primed, seat is somewhere in one of many drawers and there's a Sirloin gently coming up to room temperature...so it its Frying tonight!

Cheery byes all,

Anil

• Like 5

On 3/9/2019 at 8:56 PM, Sturmovik said:

The Revell "100 RAF Years" Typhoon is on my "to buy" list together with their Typhoon with decals for a Richtofen aircraft.

Interestingly their earlier 1/72 is probably more detailed, this is the simplified version ( allegedly with better shapes). I got 3 of the earlier ones when A UK retailer was going bust for £12 but each has the worst canopies I;ve ever seen so maybe not a great idea. The HB is just a caricature of a Typhoon but fine for a quick build

2 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Interestingly their earlier 1/72 is probably more detailed, this is the simplified version ( allegedly with better shapes). I got 3 of the earlier ones when A UK retailer was going bust for £12 but each has the worst canopies I;ve ever seen so maybe not a great idea. The HB is juts a caricature of a Typhoon but fine for a quick build

The earlier Revell Typhoon is one of the rare kits I've given up on. What a pig it was. I have a ridiculous number of Hasegawa ones in my stash now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Procopius said:

The earlier Revell Typhoon is one of the rare kits I've given up on. What a pig it was. I have a ridiculous number of Hasegawa ones in my stash now.

Edward gives up on a kit?! Mine might head straight for the Adam Savage Greebles box...mmm, scratchbuilding while sniffing  dichloromethane....

• Haha 5

Just now, azureglo said:

PC gives up on kit?! Mine might head straight for the Adam Savage Greebles box...mmm, scratchbuilding while sniffing  dichloromethane....

I've given up on a few...Roden 1/72 SE5a (I had a psychotic break and smashed it, but then went right back and built another); AZ Models Bulldog (some rigging/strut issues, though I've kept it for when I feel hard enough to have a go); some others in the far-off mists of time, surely? Those plus the Typhoon are my big ones, my bête noires. But (mostly) being too stupid to know when to quit at a thing I ostensibly do for fun has kept me going.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I've given up on a few...Roden 1/72 SE5a (I had a psychotic break and smashed it, but then went right back and built another); AZ Models Bulldog (some rigging/strut issues, though I've kept it for when I feel hard enough to have a go); some others in the far-off mists of time, surely? Those plus the Typhoon are my big ones, my bête noires. But (mostly) being too stupid to know when to quit at a thing I ostensibly do for fun has kept me going.

Not really an option for you, being married with children  but I find when any of my hobbies fritzes me out,, a nice solitary evening with a steak, a robust red and as much Simpsons, Orville, Cannonball Adderley  and Westworld as possible rejuvenates any faltering passion.. Just saying.

1 minute ago, azureglo said:

Not really an option for you, being married with children  but I find when any of my hobbies fritzes me out,, a nice solitary evening with a steak, a robust red and as much Simpsons, Orville, Cannonball Adderley  and Westworld as possible rejuvenates any faltering passion.. Just saying.

Indeed. For me, a good book, possibly about the Napoleonic era, or maybe a pulp noir novel, a good Horse's Neck, and a comfy chair used to do it. Alternately, disposable 1980s TV like Simon and Simon or Magnum PI would answer, and lots of cheap pizza. All impossible now that I have children, which is a pretty good argument on its own for never having any.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Procopius said:

. All impossible now that I have children, which is a pretty good argument on its own for never having any.

That said , Y'know I yearn for a little company in my sad solitary existence , maybe a small cute hedgehog would perk me up...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, azureglo said:

That said , Y'know I yearn for a little company in my sad solitary existence , maybe a small cute hedgehog would perk me up...

They're excellent pets, though do ideally need about 30 minutes to an hour of attention a night, and have distressingly large bladders (I often theorized that pretty much everything after the skull on a pygmy hedgehog is the bladder). Keeping their cage appropriately heated can also be an issue; I used a heat lamp meant for reptiles, but aside from our brutally hot and humid summers and infinitely colder winters, I think the general climatological conditions in the UK aren't far removed from those in northern Illinois. For bedding, I just bought a paper shredder and used blank newsprint, which is very soft and can be easily changed; some people use cedar chips, but I once had a hedgehog catch mites this way and so I wouldn't recommend it. Since they can eat cat food, they're pretty cheap to keep fed. I have no idea what a pygmy hedgehog would cost in the UK, but here they're not cheap, around $250 plus cage, exercise wheel, water bottle, heat lamp, etc. 

• Like 1

Its cockpit time. again some odd sized decal but it all came together and the Quickboost seat got a once over. While was there I added the very delicate HUD support arms from some 0.2mm nickel rod, my little bit @Nigel Heath detailing. I've got some some cool Hasegawa Holo film to make up the actual HUD.

46446928525_94cedae097_b.jpg

32419869477_98380757b7_b.jpg

46446944965_c6cb3af843_b.jpg

Apart from the blurry iPhone images. perfectly passable for a closed canopy. Need to pre-paint and mask the front canards as they're pretty fiddly do to do so when in situ. This one is swimming along nicely, we should get to the paint shop shortly. Interestingly enough its been pre-sold to the ex's new chap who sheepishly asked how much would it cost for a build of  this and I simply matched the last Corgi price which he seemed happy with. Told him I could do a matching Hurricane for £30 and he was over the moon, gives me something to do with the arma hobby jobby  that got delivered last week (and Aviaeology decals that I've had for ages). Now to see what bizzare tools Hobbysearch have that Ced probably doesn't yet have...

Cheers

Anil

• Like 4

All three  'benches on the go today : First off, a nasty step that needed seeing to.

46698713804_eaf2906531_b.jpg

Some lovely sink ejector pin marks  on the rear decking. Inspired by Adam Savage's "greebling" ( see youtube), got a load of rod, section and strip along with a lid full of Dichloromethane and went for it- just random crap to create interest and hide dem 'oles.

33545980858_58937de1ef_b.jpg

46506642015_3141a31001_b.jpg

Looks good under paint and onwards to the HUD:

47421890821_14b5e35139_b.jpg

Now this floats my double hulled sea going craft as they say back Mumbai way, it does the transparent to metallic shimmer as you change angles. Need to source thinner clear styrene though.

47369037392_b4cd82355d_b.jpg

47421899741_60f34e55ec_b.jpg

46699061474_89d03abdf8_b.jpg

Final assembly tomorrow and the first of March's builds gets into the paint shop PM  for primer.

Toodle pip folks and folkettes.

Anil

• Like 4

So the canopy , had a few gaps on the port side that needed shimming;

46713679184_c1fc035374_b.jpg

46521481805_c28e01f81a_b.jpg

A quick 101 on making your canopy mask ( @Procopius I'm looking at you and your Montex abominations)

1: Trace using sharpened HB pencil

40470849783_be30ef207b_b.jpg

2: Scan

47436730091_ee05f5c762_b.jpg

3: Import into Adobe Illustrator ( or similar) and trace ( using bezier pen tool)

33560704308_a6c374766d_b.jpg

46521534425_142f181a92_b.jpg

4: Send to cutter .Y'know that  horrible 40mm Tamiya that isn't really Tamiya tape? Well its brilliant for masks and has "give" to snuggle into curves, way better than the thick Eduard/Peewit stuff.

46521460155_eddca80c38_b.jpg

5: Test and adjust- usually I cut three, original, +10% and -10% but this time spot on first go,

47383888542_712abec750_b.jpg

Finally,  a big gap between the bottom of the fin and the fuselag , filled with Slaters fine rod (from the 70's!!) eased into shape with Dichloromethane, this month's super dangerous chemical of choice. 

32494954837_c231b27dd9_b.jpg

Well peeps, enough serious modelling,for today, a nightcap and some Kurt Vonnegut to bring on sweet dreams (or not).

Nighty night

Anil

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Exceptional work on that masking, most impressive. I may have to send you the graphics for my SeaKnight canopy.....

Arrgh what's worse than a bloody helicopter? A helicopter canopy with a gazillion tiny panes....:rage:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Checking my paint refs photos of this bird, noticed I needed to hack off the aerial on the spine and truncate the starboard  "pod"

33567698988_f468f41438_b.jpg

Primed with lots of minor marks to be remedied, just excessive scratches from 300 grit not properly post sanded. Revisited an old friend, Alclad grey primer after finding I had two unopened bottles, not as effortless as Mr Surfacer 1200 1500 but a fine, fine primer.

33567699858_951826ffa3_b.jpg

First colour starts tomorrow, just realised  that there's  an awful lot of detail masking and contrast striping, my kinda airbrush fun!

Nighty night peoples.

Anil

• Like 5

A helicopter canopy with a gazillion tiny panes....

I have no doubt whatsoever you are up to the task. Looking forward to the "airbrush fun", sounds kinda kinky.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I have no doubt whatsoever you are up to the task. Looking forward to the "airbrush fun", sounds kinda kinky.

d61dd20164453913315a811010311a85.jpg

Thats a lot of twee masking, though the wing/fin lines are going to be sprayed decal fim, life is too short to mask 1mm lines...BTW if you're around next Saturday I can pick up those Vertol mask for for conversion when I do my Mothers Day flowers run ( With two living brothers, a dude has to safeguard his inheritance...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Got the barley grey on,

46727144734_c5093e83be_b.jpg

Followed by 2 hours of masking...Oy the RAF boys like little bits of grey here and there. Cricut proved invaluable, would have taken all day without it. well eyesight is completely  shot and  social life looms. 

33574054678_882c10fce8_b.jpg

Finishing the underside masking and going for the dark earth and  green all in a day if all goes to plan. Got to pick up the pace next week sees me looking after the light of my life to whom I am nothing but a slave to provide entertainment, scratching  and a lap when desired so modelling will be fitted around  when her highness is resting...,

46727173694_0e0c391002_b.jpg

Hope y'all are having a fab weekend.

Anil

• Like 5

next week sees me looking after the light of my life to whom I am nothing but a slave to provide entertainment, scratching  and a lap when desired

When I started reading this I immediately thought you were referring to me and our meet up on Friday. I would have quite liked to be the light of your life + slave + desirable lap buddy but it turns but it's just your cat, princess though she may be....Oh well...

• Haha 3