Anils Workbench #2: CyberHobby 1/200 Vulcan in progress

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

Is you're mother implying that you're not?

Back to 'Emil', the splinter camo is looking good.

Stuart

Lets just say if you're at Telford this year, you'll hear me long before you see me.

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice painting Anil! :) 

Cheers Ced, I missed the dog tooth on the port wing RLM 71 which is ludicrously easy as I was fretting over an infestation of Scarlet lily beetle that is laying waste to my beloved garden lilies. Heard  an interesting tip for drying paint even quicker, fan oven on on lowest setting then heat off, run fan and pop model in...might try that on the next build, sounds like a good way to create battle damage though

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

Those blighters wrecked my lilies last year, not this year, it''s the lavea I hate.

As for your oven approach, wouldn't work in my house.

Stuart

Yup, them maggots is truly horrible: I picked one off with my fingers and then read what the greeny brown stuff it was coated in was...let's just say yesterday was "The Day of a Thousand Hand Washings....". For those not familiar with this evil little insect, here's a really pretty insect I say not knowing what it was last month and grabbing my Nikon SLR...

48114001573_c82ca68ae9_b.jpg

And here is what its offspring did to the same plant:

48114060397_383048705f_b.jpg

They are an invader pest, bug spray, blow torches, size 9 Dr Martens boots etc can be used to eliminate them. If you see any, use this to let the good folk at the RHS know, they are monitoring this locust like invader,

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/surveys/submitrecord.asp?type=6

• Sad 1

Gah, nature , to quote Woody Allen: it's just one giant restaurant, everything is eating everything else.

Todays progress: Mottle RLM 02

48113892891_a2c0af08f8_b.jpg

Mottle RLM71

48113895986_bab40fbc0c_b.jpg

Unmasked tail to see contrast, woohoo!!

48113996957_7136a13315_b.jpg

Gun troughs in RLM 71 worked surprisingly, well to the naked eye at least.

48113998517_4d30af9d51_b.jpg

She's sat after a good blast of Mr Colour Gloss UV Cut and we should start decalling in about an hour or so, time to build a stand and practice my jointing of a chicken...I rarely eat meat these days but when I do, its none of this shrink wrapped pre-prepared nonsense: Respect the animal that gave its life for you and eat all of it...

Anil

• Like 4

And the decals are done: Had a hilarious moment when the tail kill markings folded over ( user error) and I replaced them with some exact matches from an authentic decals sheet that separated into 45 individual 1 mm bars when it hit the water...finally replaced by an inaccurate but good decal from a Skys sheet to fill up Herr Wicks tail tally. Used about 80% of the stencils but not the silly 1/2 mm fuselage section numbers, just enough to give it some visual appeal.

48115524278_0d31f7146e_b.jpg

Just the semi matt coat, final assembly and stand tomorrow and we're done!

Have a fab week all.

Anil

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, CedB said:

Very nice Anil :) 

Sorry to hear about your Lilly and decal woes…

Decals not a bother..its good practise as these print scale ones are very like Techmod, super thin. I think they look stunning when applied its just you need a lot more skill in applying them, In reality I burst out laughing when the authentic decals one's self destructed, life's too short to sweat the small stuff. I watch folk make a drama of stuff like this on build threads and then wail  about the manufacturers while onlookers offer messages of deep sympathy and support as if someone had died.- get over it and move on with the build I say for perfection is the enemy of progress!

The lilies on the other hand caused me much distress, the orange ones are ravaged but the fiery red ones are coming through unharmed, now if I can only stop the slugs eating my delicate coriander, all will be well in the garden.

13 hours ago, Courageous said:

Racing along. Looking great. Good recovery on the decals.

Stuart

Cheers Stuart, a bit slower than I wanted but it'll be done today, the next ones twitching in its poly bag waiting to be set free!

Anil

• Like 2

And we're done: (actually we were done yesterday but it was Life Of Brian nite)

Some last minute detailing, popped a piece of tube painted RML 02 to simulate whatever tank is visible through this hole instead of the empty chasm provided by Airfix. Note bottom cowling left off till last and mod to let the prop spin:

48127132267_1eb56a91e2_b.jpg

48127077023_11cc2eff12_b.jpg

As this needs to be shipped, no aerial wire and everything but aileron balances are just held on with tacky pva for easy disassembly The guns are the wonderful Quickboost items, dirt cheap and super detailed. Drilled the exhaust ( but sadly could find my square drill) and the exhaust shroud fronts.

48127152036_a36e3c5ed0_b.jpg

48127187943_dd8c331827_b.jpg

48127248167_8ea8b34bbf_b.jpg

48127254902_8d1e94c9cb_b.jpg

Nice clean build and easy to fix issues, main one being the canopy whose armour fouls the pilots head and I'd love to to say the fragile parts were a problem but he who has a Hyper Gate Saw is not troubled by such insouciances...Decals were slightly questionable, i.e the nose "Horrido" marks are the same decal and not mirror imaged so one is upside down. the Print Scale decals are also super thin so some care needs to be used and a steadier hand  than mine as I found.  A few minor errors and perhaps could have gone to town with mottling but all grist to the mill. Armoured glass is more subtle than usual as it was sprayed Alclad stuff not tinting film

Did a new angled stand that lets it bank. climb or dive according to the users fondest desire. So all in 8.5 hours over 7 days,  It'll be interesting to see that the punters make of this compared to the Spit, already had someone trying to score it for a birthday present.

RFI for sometime this week, have fallen out of love with my Nikon D850 as it is doing weird things after a firmware update...I'm eyeing up a shiny new Nikon mirrorless Z7...

Thanks for tuning in and its time to for the tank factory to proceed with next build! 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice one Anil, that mottling's really good :) 

I thank you Ced. Could have gone a bit more heavy with RLM 02 but its still pretty effective. never got close to 0.5-1 mm mottles with my H&S Infinity +0.15 needle setup, the Sotar 20/20 simply aces it-with properly thinned Mr Color of course, Best Custom Micron alternative there is is even if it's a bit industrial and a moody black to boot.

Inspired by you and others I'll be moving to Colourcoats later this year when my large stocks of Mr C run out, its the paint miles that are slightly depressing.

Anil

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice 109, Anil. How about a production line of Stuka's to deal with those bugs?

Cheers Pete. The bugs are infinitely more satisfying to squelch underfoot...that said I've got a Zvezda Ju-87 that will be making an appearance in this thread after the next "stock" item which should start tomorrow morning. I should do a Hurricane but I banged  one out in 4 days last year so won't waste any thread space on nearly a shake and bake. Need to clear some  guitar electronics off bench 3 and finish off that neglected Mustang, would be nice to finish 4 personal builds in one month.

Anil

• Like 1

Smart work dude. Like the mottling. My thoughts are with you in respect of the beetle menace, being a grower of edible stuff, flea beetles are my main gripe. Wot's up next?

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 9:07 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Smart work dude. Like the mottling. My thoughts are with you in respect of the beetle menace, being a grower of edible stuff, flea beetles are my main gripe. Wot's up next?

Now my next challenge in the garden is collard greens: Not kale, not spring greens but proper collard greens like we used to have for thanksgiving dinner when I was a wee lad little punk growing up in Anaheim before my forced relocation to Wembley😠  Ahh, the cooking water simmered with some salted pork and the eaten with mushed up cornbread- the original superfood: " Pot Likker" I have also established that you can easily grow Coriander courtesy of DT Brown seeds. And the local bird population favours it as their favorite snack...

But this will not get aeroplanes built, comrade Tomoshenko ( though some Imperialist  pot likker might increase my sloth like work rate) Next up as a "Stock" item: The Zvezda FW 190 A something or the other

48133208901_f9273163f0_b.jpg

Simple, accurate ( more so than the Airfix I built), hopefully less grief to assemble as well. Markings will be from the voluminous but questionable Skys  FW 190A/F sheet which yielded this little bird, I favour Blue 13 as shown in the Eduard instructions. Sky's have the B-17 on a funky blue background, that and no yellow undercowl to mask. Nice red band to boot. Let the new production commence tovarisch!!

48133953618_599bb8b8ea_b.jpg

48134521493_be9f7101dc_b.jpg

• Like 3

Well this one seems to be building itself: remarkable detail and fit. that said snipped off the guns and made up new albion alloys tube replacements including pitot.

48140253511_8307163604_b.jpg

Ingenious two part pilot: has his butt moulded  into the seat

48140347117_75c31bf757_b.jpg

Works surprisingly well, look he's grabbed the stick and giving it large on the throttle- Airfix eat your heart out, lidar & CAD my a***!

48140348197_c3dccda923_b.jpg

48140258566_4e59e92b5d_b.jpg

Well 24 hours in and we're already done on interior , made a cutout for the gunsight glass ( found my square drill) and added a scale thickness glass. Wing join is excellent but doing it in two stages using dichloromethane  to get a perfect fit without any clamps.

48140260071_314f4f8b7f_b.jpg

Would have had the canopy on except its still drying from its Future bath. 

Anil

• Like 2

On 6/26/2019 at 10:25 PM, azureglo said:

And the local bird population favours it as their favorite snack...

This is our first season of trying to grow veg and it has been disappointing so far. Grubs got to most of my radishes, rocket bolted overnight and pesky birds have got to my dwarf beans and munching through the leaves that is behind a net :wall:

Pilot's got a good hold of his stick. Coming along quickly.

Stuart

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 10:25 PM, azureglo said:

Simple, accurate ( more so than the Airfix I built), hopefully less grief to assemble as well. 

..well for me it's not. Note no lower cowl exhaust on the Zvezda kit..at all. Canopy is very clunky too. The wing/fuselage join leaves you with a seam where there wasn't one on the 'real' machine.  The wheel hubs are wrong.  But why worry about accuracy anyway ..Dahl's 'blue 13' is/was an A-8 (bulged cowl for the MGs), the Zvezda kit is a 'short-fuselage' A-4 ..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

This is our first season of trying to grow veg and it has been disappointing so far. Grubs got to most of my radishes, rocket bolted overnight and pesky birds have got to my dwarf beans and munching through the leaves that is behind a net :wall:

Pilot's got a good hold of his stick. Coming along quickly.

Stuart

My ex is a champion plants woman and reckons you need two to three seasons before you nail the mix of pest control, drainage and planting times:  Its something those of us with gardens should seriously think about as we choke our planet in plastic wrappings which we drive miles to get.  That said a Siamese has been high on my list for the past few months, and thats a very effective form of pest control ...

Anil

• Like 1

Todays update, primed with mr Surfacer 1500 and first colour on,  the RLM 23 for the tail band

Wots that, pre-shade?!! From the man who hates pre-shaded tartan models? Yup, this one has superfine panel lines that you can just see under the primer so she's getting pre-shade and flory wash as well, lets see what the punters make of of my fakery. I could mask up and actually finish the whole camo tonite but its 34 centigrade in the garden, a sundowner has been poured and I don't drink and airbrush, I just say no,  as Nancy Reagan once urged us all to,

48153158261_965058de4c_b.jpg

See you tomorrow, apart from @Tomoshenko, who will be in his allotment raising rhubarb for us all. 

Anil

• Like 4

An update on the "sales" the Spit and 109 got their opening price £7.99 bids in 8 hours and I got an offer of £18 for the Spit and £16 for the Emil but I'm letting these run to the end see what they actually reach. Mind you I've got some stiff competition :rofl2:...

48158954407_192bcd9f42_b.jpg

48158892916_f66ea602ea_b.jpg

The second one is my favourite, so thats how the supercharger dust tropical filter goes on...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So an interesting day helping a newly minted game company multimillionaire do familiarisation on his shiny new Cirrus SR22 Turbo: He had the same natural aptitude for flying as a hippopotamus would for neurosurgery...note to self: have stupid idea for a  seriously violent game, make it and become worth £60 million.

Back on terra firma: The joys of 8 hour three color camo and masking ( "it's never gonna happen" according to some self opinionated  experten and his +1 posse) RLM 65 down:

48160725946_ee3e8d7a5a_b.jpg

RLM 75 on and Oramask 810 masks ( note wing top crosses, we don' need no steenkin' decals) then  some blu tack edging rolls following the contours:

48162047751_6e7e7b4f1c_b.jpg

48163395406_d95710026e_b.jpg

48163484512_bbb555212c_b.jpg

RLM 74 done, oy Mazel Tov!  A few  quick freehand touch ups and I've earned my melanzane parmigiana tonite. Wing crosses, mottling, gloss and decals tomorrow, for the people need  their desktop luftwaffe fighters and it's my patriotic duty to supply them!

Dos Vedanya Tovarich!

• Like 2