Roden's Gotha IV questions

Procopius

I've just ordered a Roden Gotha IV, despite having built one of their Fokker D.VIIs, owing to a surfeit of good sense and a temporary surplus of funds, soon remedied as with all fools and their money. I have a few questions for anyone who's built one or who knows about the Gotha bombers, and I'd be indebted to anyone who can help. 

First off, any tips for building it? I've seen some indicators that the parts are brittle, and I'm familiar with how excruciatingly awful Roden decals are. 

Additionally, does the Windsock Gotha! book cover the G.IV? It seemed to cover everything but them, from the description. Are there other references out there that are strongly indicated?

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can render.

• Like 1

I cannot comment on the Roden kit because I have not built one: I do have a GV in the roof which I started several years ago but then became interested in conversions and now scratch building, so it has not progressed far.

With reference to the Windsock Gotha book there are line drawings (1/48 and 1/72 scale), and 6 colour side views of the GIV. There is also a brief text on the type (all of the types are mentioned but only briefly). There are many photographs, some of the interior including the cockpit, bomb racks and other aspects of the machines which would be very useful if you want to add extra details. IMHO it is worth buying.

Hope these notes help.

P

• Thanks 1

Most of the plastic in the various Gotha boxings is the same, allowing for all the variants by din't of complicated engineering. I've as yet only builkt it as a G.III,  but that at least allows me to say that it's a good kit. As with all Roden kits you need to spend much mre time on cleanup, under magnification. That will avoid most of the fit issues you'd otherwise have, except for the engines, which really are too large to fit comfortably in the nacelles. They're the right size,the problem being the thickness of the nacelle plastic. Trimming the engine bottoms and mounting lugs should solve it, as I recall from far too long ago.

The plastic is indeed very brittle, so you really do need to support the underside of the part you're removing while cutting. I'd use a razor saw, then trim most of the excess off with the sharpest scalpel blade you have. I still broke a few struts, but they went back together okay.

One problem is that most of the interior photos you can find are of the G.V which has a different setup for the fuel cocks. Now offhand I can't remember which way round it is, but one version has 4 large circles at the bottom of the control panel. These are the fuel cocks and air pressure regulators. The G.IIIversion has these built into the little ledge running along the outside of the cockpit, along with the throttles. In other words the Datafile is essential. It does cover the G.IV,  in text and photos, as well as the aforementioned plans.

As ever, the WNW G.III manual available from their website will be very useful because there are many features in common between G.III and G.IV. The trick is figuring out what those features are.

Part of Poland used to make detail sets for al of Roden's Gothas. Still available from Jadar Hobby for 15.57 Euros.  https://www.jadarhobby.pl/advanced_search_result.php?currency=EUR&search_in_description=1&inc_subcat=1&keywords=Part+gotha&pfrom=&pto=&sort=2a I used one on the G.III and found that most of it was worth the effort. Not worth using the internal framework though - too much effort to get it to fit, for the amount you can see of it. Most useful for delicate detail bits like the control panel, bomb racks, and armament.

Paul.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I agree with Paul. The most critical work is with engine nscelles and their "legs" on to the wings.

I didn't dare to try the decals and my builld are still stalled in wait for usefull lozenge decals...

Cheers / André

The WNW kit is of the Gotha G.IV.  Wingsock also has a book, Building the Wingnut Wings Gotha G.IV.  I haven't built either the Roden G.IV or the WNW kit yet, but from what I can remember I think the way Roden did the engine mounts seemed better to me than the way WNW did it.

Later,

Dave

morning all, you can download the wingnut wings instructions for free, a very useful resourse, and also check out their vintage photos page. Aviattic do lozenge decals, and also check out Pheon decals. The Part etch set is a must, and Jadar hobby are excellent, shipping from Poland to the US is around a week to ten days. Regards, Pete in RI

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...