Operation Deepfreeze orange

Spad

Hi

As the topic title suggests, this is ostensibly about the orange used on aircraft of Operation Deepfreeze, but actually extends to any US Navy aircraft carrying hi-viz orange.

Straight forward question - is the orange FS12197 International Orange or is it a Dayglo orange, I'm particularly interested in the UH-34 in that scheme.

Difficult to tell from photos as usual.

Thx

Rick

Hello all,

the few surviving pieces with International Orange paint on them I have seen here in Finland look indeed rather "reddish". Without knowing the title I would have called it bright red.  I was thinking about the question whether FS 12197 is International Orange or Day-Glo Orange. Special colours have (or used to have) an "own" category in Federal Standard (number 9?). The question was about FS 12197 which belongs to reds in FS.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Hello all,

the few surviving pieces with International Orange paint on them I have seen here in Finland look indeed rather "reddish". Without knowing the title I would have called it bright red.  I was thinking about the question whether FS 12197 is International Orange or Day-Glo Orange. Special colours have (or used to have) an "own" category in Federal Standard (number 9?). The question was about FS 12197 which belongs to reds in FS.

Cheers,

Antti

FS 12197 is a red-orange but in the FS catalogue is within the orange range, as testified by the code where the second number is 2 (Orange). Reds have 1 as second number in the code.

12917 is not a day-glo colour, these are listed in the FS with an 8 as second number in the code. However we have to keep in mind that both USAF and USN used fluorescent colours that were not included in the FS catalogue ! The Fluorescent Red Orange used by the USN between 1959 and 1965 was ANA 633. Closest FS colour is 28913 (that may well be the very same colour in the newer catalogue).

FS 12197 is a somewhat controversial colour,  someone here remarked in the past how in colour pictures this colour tends to look more red than it actually is. It may also be that with age this colour turns to red, in any case it's easy to mistake 12197 for a "proper" red when looking at pictures, reason why it's useful to look at the pictures in conjunction with the official documentation when trying to understand if an aircraft makes use of this colour or another red or orange, dayglo or not.

• Thanks 2