After finishing my Trumpeter Challenger 2 Optelic I went back to my Mosquito build which is presenting me with a few problems as I have decided to follow @The Baronlead and make the engine bearers from brass rod/tube. Wanting something a little easier to build alongside the Mosquito I had a look in the stash and found this:-

IMG-0130.jpg

A straight forward model with no interior so shouldn't be any problems except for the wheels which have vinyl tyres including the centre pair of wheels which are all metal and have a ridged arrangement to help with the cross country performance. DEF (I think) produce a set of resin wheels but are twice the price of what I paid for the kit. Have not decided whether to stick with whats in the box or use them to cast resin replacements. Also undecided as to whether to put at least one of the two drivers positions in which will of course need to be scratch built, time will tell on this.

Here are the box contents and instruction sheet pictures

IMG-0131.jpg

IMG-0132.jpg

IMG-0133.jpg

IMG-0134.jpg

IMG-0135.jpg

IMG-0136.jpg

As you can see there is a small photo etch fret and markings for one vehicle are also supplied.

Thanks for looking in I'll make a start on this soon 

Roger

• Like 8

Hi Nick

Feel free to follow I hope I don't disappoint you.

I have decided to build this with all the hatches closed to save time on the build. More progress soon

Roger 

Well I have made a small start with this by putting together two of the end road wheels/tyres and one of each type of the centre all metal wheels I got out the Lego bricks and made a casting box with the intention of casting my own wheels for this project.

Whilst waiting for the silicone to set for the first half of the mould I cemented the top and bottom of the hulls together and added the front suspension mounting plates and wing supports, the exhaust boxes and pipes were also added in the centre under the wings. 

IMG-0137.jpg

IMG-0138.jpg

IMG-0139.jpg

IMG-0140.jpg

IMG-0141.jpg

IMG-0142.jpg

Not much but it is a start more soon 

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time look

Roger

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Done a bit to this over the Easter break, the suspension units have been assembled and fitted together with the front and rear drivers hatches. A start has also been made on the etch details with things like wing retaining bolt heads (11 per wing), what I presume are foot steps leading up the front and back of the hull. The wing joining strips have also been added to the outside edge of the wings front, back and centre. Most of the turret has been assembled and is about ready for paint. The fit of the parts is very good with NO filler being required up to this point in the build.

IMG-0144.jpg

IMG-0145.jpg

IMG-0146.jpg

IMG-0149.jpg

IMG-0150.jpg

IMG-0147.jpg

IMG-0148.jpg

As always thanks for stopping by, your input is always appreciated

Roger

Edited by Hamden
Remove bad picture gateway
  • Like 8

Hi Nick (@flashlight) Sorry not to reply to you earlier but have not had much opportunity to get to the bench of late.  

Had mixed results with the casting due I think to shelf expired resin, the metal centre wheels are probably usable but the rubber tired outter wheels are a complete failure.

I'll try and post some pics: at the weekend if that's alright.

Roger

Have not managed any bench time lately but as Nick  @flashlight asked about the results of the wheel casting, the results are below. With a little work the metal wheels are most likely usable, however the tired wheels are a complete disaster. This I think is me using out of shelf date resin (waste not want not) although there may be other factors involved, as of yet I have not revisited the casting process. I may decide to use the kit wheel/tyre combination or I may purchase some new resin and repeat the casting process to see if i can improve the results!

First the kit items in the moulding box

IMG-0137.jpg

Now the results

IMG-0152.jpg

IMG-0153.jpg

All this is food for thought, Thanks as always for stopping by

Roger

• Like 2

Hi Roger,

thank you very much! The metal wheels look good, sorry about the other ones. I don't do casting at all, I was just interested to see the difference between the kit's parts and the cast ones. The cast metal wheels look much better I think. I am sure that you will get better results with the other wheels next time!

Have a nice day!

Nick

• Thanks 1

I have been thinking about the exhaust system on the EBR, there is no obvious outlet for the exhaust so a query was posted here at www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235054429-panhard-ebr-armoured-car-query 

@Das Abteilung kindly offered to photograph The Tank Museum's EBR exhaust on his visit to Tiger Day recently, his pictures show that the exhaust silencers are mounted under the wings between the two metal wheels with the outlets exiting over the top of the wheels. Many thanks again for taking the time to provide the pictures of the exhaust system. The kit provides the silencer boxes but without outlets being represented, unfortunately with the said parts already attached it is impossible for me to open up these outlets as can be seen in the picture below. I am hoping to be able to represent these outlets using paint.   

IMG-0157.jpg

Whilst I was looking at the exhausts this happened

IMG-0158.jpg

IMG-0159.jpg

IMG-0160.jpg

It turned green, I most likely won't get back to the bench this week so the paint will have plenty of time to cure!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you all have a great bank holiday

Roger

• Like 3

On 5/5/2019 at 9:40 PM, Hamden said:

The kit provides the silencer boxes but without outlets being represented, unfortunately with the said parts already attached it is impossible for me to open up these outlets as can be seen in the picture below. I am hoping to be able to represent these outlets using paint.   

Looking at the photos I took again, the outlets are actually short small tubes, curving slightly downwards, in that narrow space between the outer edge of the silencer box and the inside of the fender.  So it should be possible to add these from plastic or brass tubing or drilled-out plastic rod.  The latter might bend more easily (before drilling-out the ends) without kinking.  Another possibility is single-core electric cable with the core pulled back slightly and cut short to leave a hollow end.  But the insulation tubing walls might be a bit thick and this might be a bit fiddly for such small pieces.

Not the best-designed exhaust system in the world, especially for a 12-cylinder engine, and certainly not flow-optimised.  I bet it strangled the engine by restricting the flow.

• Like 1

Another weekend gone and a small amount of time spent at the bench, so after studying @Das Abteilung photo's of the EBR exhaust I have inserted a curved piece in the area of the exhaust outlets to try and simulate this area, you can just make them out in the picture below.

IMG-0161.jpg

As well as the exhaust I made a start on weathering the under sides and road wheels and added the six decals/transfers/stickers.

IMG-0162.jpg

IMG-0163.jpg

IMG-0167.jpg

IMG-0164.jpg

IMG-0165.jpg

IMG-0166.jpg

The eagle eyed viewer will have also noted that the pioneer tools have also made an appearance

Thanks for stopping by and taking an interest

Roger

• Like 4

1 hour ago, flashlight said:

Hi Roger, the weathering looks great! What kind of grain do you use to represent the mud/sand?

Have a nice day!

Nick

Hi Nick

At this point I have only used pastel chalk dust to start the build up of underside mud and dirt. Weathering powders and washes will be used when I start on the upper hull and turret.

Roger

• Thanks 1

Another week gone and the EBR is nearly across the finish line, the wheels were fitted not an easy job as the mounting surfaces are very small so it was out with the epoxy and then re-enforced with cyno. The decals were also sealed in and the hull weathered, trying to get a dusty but well looked after look don't know if I succeeded! Turret was finally married off with the hull permanently and weathering added. Here are the pictures

IMG-0168.jpg

IMG-0172.jpg

IMG-0170.jpg

IMG-0171.jpg

IMG-0173.jpg

IMG-0174.jpg

IMG-0175.jpg

IMG-0176.jpg

IMG-0178.jpg

All that's left is add the wing mirrors and aerials and make a suitable base for it then it will be back to my 1/72 Mosquito if I haven't lost to many bits whilst the EBR has taken pride of place on the bench.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and give encouragement along the way

Roger

• Like 6