USAF CG-4 / Hadrian in 1950s

TOPGUN88

I was reading up on the glider and that it had been used for an experiment in the 50s in arctic conditions. I have looked around but no images of these. Would anyone know where I would be able to find any pics of these. 

An interesting question!  I guess you saw that reference to the 1950’s arctic experiments in WikiVisually.  The only help there is a reference to the replacement of the wheeled undercart by skis (hardly surprising!), and use of the ‘hook and line’ recovery system.

I hope you get more (constructive) help here.  I admit I’d never heard about use of a glider in the Arctic until I read your post.  Fascinating.

Jonny

• Like 1

@TOPGUN88: CG-15A rather than CG-4. The only colour shot I've seen is in Dave Menard's book, "USAF Plus Fifteen". These aircraft (as can be seen) had insignia red Arctic Conspicuity markings. They were also fitted with a cabin heater in a fuselage-top fairing, which should make them easier to recognize. 

img175

• Like 3

Thanks sabrejet. Very interesting indeed. Jonny yes I did see this on wiki when I was looking for any CG-4 that were used post war. I'm planning on building my italeri kit but wanted something a little different. :)

Edited by TOPGUN88