Bader's last Spitfire 1/72

Hi All,

I knew the time would come when I did an Eduard Spitfire. I've had a couple in the stash for a year or so, but all the parts in that huge box scared me off. Eventually I decided that in order to get one done, I needed to decide which airframe to model, then set aside the parts I wouldn't need to use. That way the task would seem more manageable. 

Whilst I love the Spitfire, I must say that the ubiquitous Mark IX is not top of my list of favourites. The fixed tailwheel detracts from an otherwise sublime shape, so for me the Marks VIII and VII surpass it in the 2-stage Merlin beauty stakes. But there are a couple of Mark IXs that are special. One is MH434 which Ray and Mark Hanna displayed so spectacularly for many years. And the other is the Spitfire used by Douglas Bader to lead the 1945 Battle of Britain Day flypast - RK917. So here is my interpretation of that, using the excellent Freightdog decals. 

I'm not shy to say that this is the best kit that I've ever built. As it was going together, the thought came to me that I didn't realise modelling could be like this, particularly after the travails of a succession of Sword Spitfires. The cockpit is a bit complex, and the four-part wheels are over-complicated, as are the radiators. But you find that everything slots into place beautifully and before you know it, it's ready to paint. I used xtracrylix with blu-tack sausages to get the soft lines on the camouflage. I also used a falcon canopy centre-section. 

There is a really interesting article on the paint-scheme of this aircraft at https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/douglasbader-last-spitfire. Initially I wasn't convinced of the conclusions, but after many hours of looking at photos, I decided to go with the two-tone scheme of Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green. Having read somewhere that the cannon stubs may have been painted red, and seeing some hints of that in the Pathe film of the time, I went with that too. The absence of stencils on this freshly repainted aircraft, and the lack of a gunsight, were added bonuses. Anyway, enough chatter, here are the photos:

resized_66695741-5a78-4a0e-8831-ac9ea644

resized_ee5b5169-f6dd-41bc-8f24-ad35523d

resized_b5b11d24-adee-4220-bb8c-06c28545

resized_e2c470a1-2d5c-4a13-9e93-f6ca0598

resized_ed72f87d-874e-430e-ab8d-4118cbd7

And so it joins the other recent builds on the shelf:

resized_0500e2be-d5cb-44d6-87e6-03429d3c

Thanks for looking, and bon weekend!

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 45

17 hours ago, Tbolt said:

not putting a dark wash in the rivet holes ;)

Thanks for all the kind comments folks. On the rivets, they probably are a bit too prominent for a 1/72 kit (particularly on the wing leading edges), but they're also quite a work of art. I tried to reduce them slightly with a coat of primer that was sanded back. The only areas that received a wash were around the engine panels, the underside centre-section and the flaps & elevators.

Must say I'd love it if Eduard did a VII, X and XI to complete the 2-stage Merlin series of Spitfires, but as this seems unlikely, I might just have a go at converting the base VIII kit. One does get nervous about taking a scalpel & filler to such a great kit, however others have done it to good effect (check out @Cookie's fine work on BM).

Justin

Justin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bedders said:

Thanks for all the kind comments folks. On the rivets, they probably are a bit too prominent for a 1/72 kit (particularly on the wing leading edges), but they're also quite a work of art. I tried to reduce them slightly with a coat of primer that was sanded back. The only areas that received a wash were around the engine panels, the underside centre-section and the flaps & elevators.

Must say I'd love it if Eduard did a VII, X and XI to complete the 2-stage Merlin series of Spitfires, but as this seems unlikely, I might just have a go at converting the base VIII kit. One does get nervous about taking a scalpel & filler to such a great kit, however others have done it to good effect (check out @Cookie's fine work on BM).

Justin

Justin

Cool, it does look good. I think the rivets look okay to the naked eye, it's when you get the camera out they can look a little big.

Eduard's mention of doing a Mk.XI doesn't seem have appeared and they only seem to be doing the major versions. I'm surprised by the lack of aftermarket conversion parts for the Eduard Spits.

• Like 1