Chinese Starter for Two

malpaso

Hmm, what to build I thought.   Plenty of trainer types in the stash, from a Jenny to an Aggressor.  Then there's the Eduard Albatros jet, but I've already started that, if not 25%.  Hmm...

Aha, this was found in the stash - it came from our club's dealer of old kits, though where he unearthed it I've no idea.  Behold the AIDC AT-3 Tzu Chiang (self-reliance), Taiwan's indigenous light-attack trainer.  As well as Taiwan's first jet it seems also to be Lo Models first kit.

2018-04-19_07-50-22

Quite an attractive plane in the typical style with straight wings.  Like many advanced trainers it's also the mount of the ROCAF display team the "Thunder Tigers".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDC_AT-3

The kit is fairly basic, probably most like a Matchbox.  A few faults with the mouldings, quite hard plastic, but it seems to fit together reasonably with a bit of effort, after all i presue it was made to sell in droves to Taiwan's youth.Heres the sprues, so far I've only glued the seats to the cockpit...

32370391437_3b59366fcd_b.jpg

Cheers

Will

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, malpaso said:

I had no idea the plane existed, let alone a kit, till I bought the kit last year!

First came across the type in an issue of Warplane magazine during the late 80s and always thought it looked quite a cool design; slightly cartoonish in a way but also somehow 'right' if that makes sense.

Edit- I'll let you read this page about the kit in the best traditions of Forewarned is Forearmed :( 

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/planes/lo-models-172-aidc-at-3-tsu-chang/

Edited by Col.

Thanks Col. I had seen that but also this, which seems a more positive view?

http://www.kgwings.com/at3_tzuchiang/at3_tzuchiang.html

Either way, it seems to end up as a neat little aircraft.

The crew look quite nicely defined, I think I'll paint them up and see whether to include them or invent some scratch interior.

Cheers

Will 

• Like 1

I did see the kgwings pages after that as well. As you say a much more positive view that perhaps reflects the different attitudes of the individual authors.

• Thanks 1

Well, as the author of the Sprue Lagoon (the less positive) page, I can tell you one thing: when you get a review from me, you get one that honestly reflects what I experienced. 

My reviews are not here to make everything seem rosy, they're here to tell people the honest truth as I experienced it.  My attitude is that truth is more valuable than false hope. As you can see, I found the kit to be a bit of a handful, more like an old Matchbox than anything. Now, I LOVE Matchbox kits, so don't get me wrong.... the AT-3 is a neat kit of a neat plane, but you will fight for it if you want it to look half as good as a more modern, better-made kit. 

To me, there's nothing wrong with that - but I put it up there so people will know what they're getting into. Some don't mind the elbow grease. Some want a shake-n-bake. I know that if you're expecting an easy time and you find the kit's a dog, it is a lot more offputting than if you go in knowing you're not in for Tamigawa standards!

I'm glad to see someone else building the kit, though. It's a cool looking plane and I'm always glad to see more oddballs being built! Good luck with it!

Edited by Faust
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry guys, I got the cockpit together then lost my mojo.  In fact for a while I thought the carpet monster had got the kit!  I couldn't find it for two months, then remembered I'd put it in a project tin, but forgot where!

Maybe I need to tidy up...

Anyway there've been some great builds in this GB.

I will build the AT-3 eventually and put it in RFI.

Cheers

Will 

Edited by malpaso
  • Like 2

I'll look out for your progress when you continue with it Will. Still tempted to get a copy of this kit myself.

• 1 month later...