Hello everyone... This was built at the same time as my Legato Mk.18e spitfire. I used the older Heller Mk.V kit as a base. With @Rabbit Leader‘s help who kindly sent me some very accurate drawings. Was able to scratch-build the wing Oil coolers, and desert filter underneath. I actually had both this and the academy Mk.V to choose from, however the detail was crisper on the older Heller kit. I asked for some information about the Mk.VI’s here in this thread. ⬇️

When i first joined here i came across a discussion about Mk.VI’s and the post war desert scheme of DE/Light Slate Grey over medium sea grey. I instantly fell in love with the scheme and knew id build a Mk.VI someday. Fast forward 18 months and a donation of the Heller kit from @Procopius along with the Legato Mk.18e. and here we are. 

The build was started in September of 2018 and stalled due to a lack of Light slate grey. Procopius saved me again when we were discussing my issue at a swap meet in November. In late December i was asking questions about post war Roundels as i had none. Mike @72modeler was kind enough to send me the decals for both this and the Spitfire. In January i restarted the build. I finished it alongside the Mk.18 earlier this week, and photographed it today. Without further ado i present my 6 Squadron Mk.VI Tempest Palestine 1948-49. 

sVY4zKP.jpg

81wz5Oq.jpg

ij4KFFS.jpg

UNwWnmu.jpg

DcjtnyA.jpg

E2XWbsK.jpg

jBVievE.jpg

y3kGBey.jpg

yhFwEW1.jpg

I made sure after the mistake on the Spitfire, to get the underwing serials correct on this. 9VMsUrI.jpg

A last photo with her build sibling. 

gNrKDnF.jpg

Heres a link to the Spitfire RFI if you're interested.

Questions, comments, or jokes if you prefer ? 

Dennis

• Like 42

Well done Dennis, great to see you add this Tempest to your collection. I do agree, the desert schemes are really lovely and now you’ve got me thinking that I should had a Spit 18 to my small built collection as well. You should have hollered for a white ‘B’, I’m sure it would have saved you making one up. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

you’ve got me thinking that I should had a Spit 18 to my small built collection as well. You should have hollered for a white ‘B’, I’m sure it would have saved you making one up. 

Thank you for the compliment. Yes you should get an Spitfire 18. 😉 Actually the “B” decals were real B’s, sadly the cracked when placing them and i just realized i never touched them up. :wall:

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Lovely job on that Dennis, it looks stunning in that camo scheme, & your tropical filter is a good un too I reckon. 👍

Steve.

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Ham Hands said:

Lovely. I have only ever failed with Heller kits.

Respect. :)

Im very sorry to hear that. I have no complaints really, actually this was my 2nd heller. I did their late model corsair 20 years ago. I also have an early model Bf-109 set to go for the Heller group build next year ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 7:23 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thank you, i will look forward to seeing the RFI. Or do you have a WIP going for it ? 

No WIP sadly, given the plastic/resin abuse that’s going on at the moment it’s for the best! 🤣 I’ll put something up in the RFI when it’s done.

Great job again, can I ask which paints you used? They look spot on to me!

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airbus320 said:

can I ask which paints you used? They look spot on to me!

Im on a bit of a budget so i use whatever i can get a hold of. For the paints i used.

Dark Earth Vallejo modelair #71.029

Xtracrylix xa1037 RAF Light Slate Grey

Tamiya XF-83 Medium sea grey 2 (RAF)

a bit of a mix but as you say they work. If i could have gotten them i would have also considered using color-coats Enamels but thats me. I hope that helps you ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Nicely done Dennis,...... they both look superb actually,........ great colour scheme isn`t it. I`m toying with doing a 1/48th Spit 18 in the same scheme at the moment,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1