Hello everybody... I started this kit back in September of last year. I was building the Legato(AZ) 1/72nd Mk.XIVe kit that was given to me by @Procopius. Initially i started to build it as a clipped wing 14. But during the process i was instructed to remove the molded tail and add one just slightly oversize. I was a little confused. I did some research and found that late 14’s and 18’s had this mod. Thats when i started asking questions about 18’s here. ⬇️

I discovered they wore the same camouflage of DE/Light Slate grey over medium sea grey. The same as Mk.VI Tempests in the Middle-east. Now when i 1st joined i came across a thread discussing Mk.VI Tempests in this scheme. A scheme i instantly fell in love with. 

So back to the the build. I had already clipped the wings for the 14. So i had to reattach those and then began doing the rescribing needed to make the necessary changes. It took a while to come across the paint needed (light slate grey),so the build stalled for about 6 weeks.

Procopius and myself met up at a local swap meet in early November. While there i was discussing my paint issue with him. He came to the rescue again about a week later i received a box of xtracrylix paints he wasn't using anymore. The light slate grey was amongst the colors in the box. I was able to restart the build in January with the help of @72modeler‘s decal donation. I was just looking for post war Roundels and flashes. However Mike(72modeler) actually had the markings, and wasn't planning on using them. I finally finished it this week. Though as you will see i made one goof-up with the markings (sorry mike☹️). :rage:So without further ado, i present my 208 Squadron Mk.18e from Palestine in 1948-49.

eugOguP.jpg

va0vcGt.jpg

liMFIKz.jpg

7spTJVH.jpg

2XWTIUE.jpg

zWkzdRh.jpg

6AKKKLb.jpg

I can assure you the Roundel is red not orange as it appears here. ⬇️

HkKgd6X.jpg

Xynptef.jpg

sRb9kWU.jpg

If this ⬇️ gets me booted out of Britmodeller its been fun guys. 😉 

3Lw8QqT.jpg

I specifically set the plane up when decaling so as not to do that. But somehow i flipped it around and placed the decal, micro sol’ed it, and let it set for two days. Thats when i caught it, of course to late to fix ? Heres a photo of the spitfire and Tempest. 

tEaj2GS.jpg

Heres a link to the Tempest RFI,

in case you might be interested. Questions, comments, or jokes if you prefer ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 30

1 hour ago, Ham Hands said:

I have never seen this scheme before. Great idea to build the 2 in those colours. Well done!

Thanks for sharing. :)

Neither had I, once i did the ball was rolling to get one. Thank you both for the compliments.

Dennis

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Nice build Dennis, I'm pleased you popped the link to this up, I'd missed it the first time around, worthy of a second showing, it is a great colour scheme.

Steve.

Yes it is Steve.. I cant wait to get a hold of one of Airfix’s new Mk.XIV’s as it has the larger Rudder and I will do these markings as well. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Nice Spitfire. Good work! I really love RAF planes from the immediate post WW2 era. The AZ Mk XVIII (or Mk XIV which is actually the same kit with different decals and some advice of how to convert it into an XIVe in the manual) is currently not available so when I added an Mk XVIII to my collection I had to convert a Fujimi mk XIV to an XVIII with a spare Special Hobby rudder. In addition, I had to rescribe the wing panels and to rework its tailwheel. For my next Mk XVIII I will probably use a Sword Mk XIVe where I just have to swap the rudder with a spare one from a Special Hobby kit. Your Tempest Mk VI is also a little masterpiece. 👍

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Thanks 1

On 09/03/2019 at 09:13, Ham Hands said:

I have never seen this scheme before. Great idea to build the 2 in those colours. Well done!

Thanks for sharing. :)

The reason for the change in camouflage was because the Israeli Defence Force mistook RAF Spitfires for Egyptian , and shot down them down .

Wulfman

• Like 1