WV-2 Warningstar Wheel well and landing gear colors

hsr

Does anyone know what color, if any, the wheel wells and landing gear of the WV-2 Warning Star were painted? I am working on the Heller kit

and the instructions say they were unpainted aluminum. That is probably true of the civilian versions, but I have my doubts about the military versions. I have found pictures on the web of museum display Air Force EC-121's and it looks like the interiors were white. But those are not the Navy version, and you can't always trust museum display aircraft for accuracy. 

Anyone know, have pictures?

Thanks

Howard

The version as the USAF Museum has grey wells, aluminum LG.  These guys typically do pretty good restorations so I'd go with their paintwork unless you can find proof of something different.  Doubt the USN would have had different colors. 

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/weichao_chen2/ec-121d_53-555/index.php?Page=2

Early in their lives, the wheelwells might have been green and were repainted during overhauls. 

Edited by 11bravo
  • Thanks 1

I found this picture from the Octave Chanute Museum in Rantoul, Illinois and and a few others that show it as white, or very light grey, so I think I am going to go with white.

Lockheed_WV-2_Warning_Star,_Octave_Chanu

Thanks

• Like 1