Airfix 1/72 Blue Steel Victor - Start of My V-Force Project

Breaking from the norm here and starting with the blue steel missile, then doing the cockpit and tail. I need to get hold of some gloss white for this build, I've heard Halfords do a good one.

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to go with the half camo scheme, or the full anti flash white scheme. I have a full set of V bombers to build, and this is the first one to be started.

Any warnings or advice about the kit? Any small aftermarket extras that could be useful? 

Also does anyone know what the bomb bay on a blue steel Victor looked like without the missile in?

515b5d014081a4c82d97dbc02765c1ec.jpg

72254fb0e49eb6dfb9eb8176cb3949d7.jpg

d3736b1b2a15f66798ed432ceae3640e.jpg

86825e6f8c0a2fe0212c89890e7395a3.jpg

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 11

Not sure about gloss, I used satin white spray on my white Vulcan. Might be wrong but it seems to look right.

Although this is obviously a Vulcan, I would guess Victors were the same colour shade of white? It doesn't look full gloss, although it is the restored XM603 at Woodford - I would think they used the correct white, but maybe not?

IMG38001552139083.jpg

• Like 2

This is what I use mate, I think I got it in B&Q but can't remember now. However it's definitely available on Amazon for about £8 and ebay, just did a quick search; Plastikote white satin spray.

IMG45461552148795.jpg

I had no issues apart from my own mistake where I sprayed a bit too close and for too long, but after wiping the drip and respraying it looked ok. Apart from that I did a whole Vulcan in one go, though I think most of the better modellers on here tend to do two or three thin coats, but tbh I can never see any difference if I do that or just one! But I'm no expert. This was the result anyway ...

IMG45491552169877.jpg

IMG45471552169878.jpg

IMG45481552169878.jpg

• Like 7

Wow very good result there with the vulcan. Will definitely try that white spray for all three of my v bombers.

Is it built OOB or is there any aftermarket on the model?

• Thanks 1

Two things:

My friend Joe Youngerman built the kit last year and did the Green and Grey over white scheme and it looked...well, brilliant. His comment was the clear wingtips gave him fit issues if you follow the Airfix instructions. Sounds like the tips should be added to the upper and lower panels before assembly to line them up better, rather than stuck on as sort of an afterthought. IIRC he also used the Master Brass Pitot booms.

I have phased out my enamel paints and am now using acrylics and acrylic lacquers. Something you might wish to consider if you plan to do an overall white one, is Tamiya White Surface Primer. Some people use the spray bomb, some decant it and run it thru their airbrush, myself i use the stuff that comes in the little square bottles and thin it with Mr Leveling Thinner. Its advantages are, it's a very heavily- pigmented paint with good opacity, it's extremely fast drying, and since its a primer, it wet sands beautifully and other paints like to stick to it.

In terms of a final finish, you could spray Mr Color Super White over it, or you could sand it and apply Mr Super Clear GX100. Someone suggested a semigloss and that may be the better way to go, but i haven't tried the Mr Color semigloss finishes yet so i'm disinclined to recommend something i haven't used.

-d-

• Like 1

Small update:

Figured that not much will be visible inside so it gets a fairly basic quick paintjob. Nothing fancy, just a wash or highlight here and there to have some things stand outda19e9e30856490cacec3dc7dab36613.jpg

This build is really making me wish I could have seen one fly. Too young though, they were retired in 1993... Before I was around. Wish I could have seen the accidental takeoff in 2009, that would have been quite something. XM715 is literally a 30 minute drive away and I've not gotten around to seeing her yet, but I've seen the ones at Cosford and Duxford.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Wow very good result there with the vulcan. Will definitely try that white spray for all three of my v bombers.

Is it built OOB or is there any aftermarket on the model?

Thanks Adam. The only aftermarket I used were the decals and the jetpipes.

On 09/03/2019 at 00:49, Adam Poultney said:

Any warnings or advice about the kit? Any small aftermarket extras that could be useful? 

Also does anyone know what the bomb bay on a blue steel Victor looked like without the missile in?

Trying to do my bit for Airfix I have bought two B2 bombers and two K2 tankers.  My interest stems from working on K2's from the late 70's until 1982.  I have started both of my B2's, but they are on hold while finish off some AFV's.  I am doing them both in white anti-flash, an early B2 of 100 Sqn with no refuelling probe or tanks and a Yellow Sun hydrogen bomb in the bomb bay, and a Blue Steel carrying one as per the kit.  No real problems found so far, the intake is missing from the left hand intake, I filled the inside front end of the intake with milliput before I drilled and filed it to match photo's.  It was not used on K2,s and was covered over, so Airfix did not bother with it.

IMG_0756

The wing centre upper section that fits onto the fuselage needs to be thinned along with the mating section of the fuselage until it fits without a step, you need to dry fit the parts to see the problem and the remedial work is obvious.  If you are building it with flaps down no problem, but if you want the flaps up DO NOT cut off the wing trailing fairing as the plans direct at steps 28 & 29, it's the wrong bit to cut off.  Victors were never parked with flaps down so I am putting mine up, the bit to actually cut off is the flap track that extends out at the rear of the lower wings, parts D5 & D6, again dry fit the parts and the problem with the flaps not fitting is obvious.  I have not found any other problems, so far.  

The AM parts that I am using are Master metal wing tip probes and Eduard wheels, the kit ones are not bad but the Eduard Brassin ones are better.  Decals are Xtradecal'

The bomb bay was dull silver paint, with Blue Steel carried nothing of the launch trapeze or missile connecting packages were visible, a sprung panel covered the missile opening after launch.  With the Yellow Sun weapon carried, a fuel tank was carried in the forward section of the bomb bay, these are included in the K2 kit

Bob

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Definitely impressive if it was that little aftermarket. Which decal set did you use?

Cheers! They were from Modeldecals, set no. 70

d16de52acf6607b5c0c8f03af8d777f3.jpg

The cockpit is now painted. Next up is to paint the sides of the cockpit in the fuselage halves and build the nose wheel well, before sealing up the fuselage halves

I've started building the intakes (no pictures yet), and so far they're going together with no problems. I'm going to paint them before installing them in the wing, and then will block them up with either blu tack or sponge for the rest of the build.

I've settled on painting the full antiflash white scheme now, and will be using Halfords white, after a bit of searching it turns out that the other white suggested is an enamel, and I'd rather use an acrylic as all the other paints I use are acrylic.

• Like 4

Also, does anyone have a photo of how a blue steel Victor's bomb bay looked after releasing the missile?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use two pairs of strong magnets to have the missile removeable.

The same information should be appreciated for the vulcan as well

Update: this project is on hold for a few days to work on a few other models (mainly a sea hurricane which was a disaster that I'm trying to make something presentable from). I have the intakes half built, I'm assembling and painting them before installing them in the wings, I've heard this is the best way of doing it (speaking of intakes, I'll need some resin ones for my Vulcan. If that build goes well I want build another as a b1 (with kinked wings)- are there any good threads showing such a conversion on here?). I've got the white spray for it, and am looking for suitable magnets to use in the bomb bay and blue steel missile to have it removeable.

Second update: the hurricane is fighting me so I decided to go back to building the Victor. Got the intakes done and the fuselage is sealed up. 30g of nose weight were added rather than the recommended 25g, just to be safe. So far everything has fit well with no issues, even the pipe in the nose wheel well that some reviews say doesn't fit (you just need to glue it into one of the sides it attaches before glueing in the side- make sure the glue doesn't dry first so it can be positioned correctly). The tailplane is difficult to get into place, just make sure that it slots in properly or you will end up with a nasty gap, if you do get it in properly, the fit should be flawless. I also put a message and the date inside, should it ever be seen again. 

3b9473ab477b392eae69e37be03dab5e.jpg46c9dc2ac173b17614cf0d18febd8504.jpgf076e231554d42fe4334fad94ccc1bcb.jpg5b1ef0750afb26313d7bc9258f596016.jpg1dc7d6a788aa2500d1c014ed64bbf388.jpga3a346aa8d17b22f5097c3210c244370.jpg

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 7

Progress is going well, add the build is flying past. The wings are attached, as is the bomb bay (which was a nightmare, it's too short, nothing an old credit card cut up can't fix), and the filler has finally been required.3eeb0ba17daba4934345c1eff4d0f08d.jpg9c39de4e115fc319489dedd1a92a176a.jpg32c8bda931de40ea7571027797528f88.jpg

She is huge! I have no clue where I'm going to put her, along with the two other v bombers, and then the inevitable purchase of more v bombers..... This kit so far has been thoroughly enjoyably, 100% would recommend, even to someone fairly new to this (of they have the patience for such a large kit). 

Dreading the Vulcan build to come, and the more I look at the kit, the more I want to convert it to some sort of b1....

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Blue Steel Missile coated with gloss white now. The actual Victor itself is very close to being ready for paint, just a few bits left to finish with filler, and the instrument panel out if the cockpit and the clear parts to install. Slight disaster with the windows as one fell into the model and there was no way I could reinstall it, so I'll be using pva glue or something to make new windows once it's painted. Progress is fairly slow due to upcoming exams and having a few other projects to work on, but I imagine the pace will increase once I start painting the whole thing.

0d24eeb3ec91cc2e3ba7142c7f76ee8e.jpge48abd5232e73b99e0290a789dc8b310.jpg

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 5