Air Cadets 1/72 T21 Sedbergh - Finally finished!

After almost a year, I can now finally present the completed Phoenix models vac form of the T21 Sedbergh glider. Those of you that followed the WIP will know that this model took an immense amount of effort, with much of the fuselage being rebuilt in my quest for accuracy. I am particularly grateful to @stringbag for much very useful reference material and advice at the start of the build, a big thank you Chris! Also thanks to all those of you who followed the WIP with much encouragement.

It was originally completed for Telford last year, but post that show I decided to re-do the cockpit windshields, and also replace the main wing struts with more accurate and stronger representations. At first my intention was to build an aircraft dated around the late 60's early 70's, in silver doped linen and dayglo, similar to the T31 I completed last year. In the end I decided to do a slightly later era white and red scheme.

I used a mixture of Xtracrylics and Tamiya paints. Decals are Modeldecal for the roundels and home made for the rest. The original WIP can be found here:

20190308_21203620190308_21201920190308_21195720190308_21202920190308_21211320190308_21204720190308_21213620190308_21212620190301_20041620190301_20042720190301_20034320190301_200357

And finally some shots with her slightly older stablemate:

20190308_21191620190308_21190420190308_212214

Thanks for looking.

Terry

Edited by Terry1954
  • Like 41

OMG! Amazing models both of them, beautifully modelled. 

I was an air cadet in the 1980s an flew in both machines in the 1980s. Quite memorable at the time. Now I look at the models I'm a little more reticent about going up in such a flimsy string and canvas machine!

So good to see then represented here. I feel like a have a small place in history. 👍

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HP42 said:

So good to see then represented here.

Thanks for your comments. There is an RFI also for the T31 here if you are interested ..........

Should bring back more memories. Also if you read the WIP on the T21, so many BM folk recalled flying in these aircraft with a mixture of fondness and fear!

Thanks again

Terry

• Like 1

Brilliant! I love this, brings back memories of flying in these from Woodvale a few times in the 80s. Pulled up along the grass by a Land Rover with a winch, then suddenly all smooth as we 'slipped the surly bonds' as they say. 

Would love to make one of these in 1/48! Beautiful little model.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, chrisbob12 said:

Makes me almost wish I'd been an air cadet.

Thanks ! You don't know what you missed, some of the best days of my youth ..............

8 hours ago, stringbag said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole process and it's nice to finally see the finished article.

Thanks Chris. Might we see  a 1/48 version from you one day?

3 hours ago, Baldy said:

Very neat little models of something just a little different.

Thanks Malcolm, they certainly raised plenty of interest!

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Glad to see that you've found your model bench and finished this.

Cheers Stuart. Yes I "found the bench" again. Am sorting that Canadair Sabre this weekend as well and I might even get back onto the Vosper soon. Being away during the week at the moment doesn't help with model time, but hopefully things will get back to normal by the end of April after a Japan trip which will include a visit to Tamiya HQ!

58 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely Sedburgh Terry, really cracking little model. Thoroughly enjoyed watching it come together in the wip thread and also reading everyone's memories of the things!

Thanks Keith. I'm glad you enjoyed the WIP thread as did many others it seems, and it certainly was a memory jerker for many!

Terry

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Brilliant! I love this, brings back memories of flying in these from Woodvale a few times in the 80s. Pulled up along the grass by a Land Rover with a winch, then suddenly all smooth as we 'slipped the surly bonds' as they say. 

Would love to make one of these in 1/48! Beautiful little model.

Thanks. Glad it evoked some good memories. A 1/48 version would look rather splendid, go for it!

Terry

Excellent - thanks.  That brought back memories.

My ATC log-book was inside the box for a DHC-1 Chipmunk - to be built.

Extracted to gloat over my Sedberg flights in 1974 and 1976, with 625 Air Experience Squadron at South Cerney.

I seem to remember they were silver in 1974, and red/white in 1976.

12 flights, logging 38 minutes - and a grin from ear2ear. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

My ATC log-book was inside the box for a DHC-1 Chipmunk - to be built.

I wish I could remember where mine was! The colour change sounds about right. Happy days!

Terry

15 hours ago, chrisbob12 said:

Gorgeous models. Makes me almost wish I'd been an air cadet. Also makes me want to go and see what plans are available for balsa and tissue versions ;)

There is certainly (or was) a balsa Kirby Cadet, I built one as a kid and made the classic error of increasing nose weight instead of decreasing tail weight. It didn't make many flights.

Love this build though, as like many here I flew in both as an Air Cadet, although I got my glider cert in a Venture. If confronted by someone bragging about how few hours they had when they soloed I can stop them dead with "I soloed in 3 hours and shut down the engine on downwind". Extra detail is irrelevant! 😁

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

'All clear above and behind !'

Ahhh yes, those were the days.  Unfortunately I haven't seen my ATC logbook in years, I probably ditched it along with many other bits of memorabilia when I thought I'd outgrown those things.  How wrong I was.  

Lovely builds, and I reckon a good idea to do different colour schemes. Well done.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Gaz

• Thanks 1

Sorry to be picky but both your Barge and Mk 3 Brick are not finished. Where are the pitot heads?

Anyone who has flown these aircraft will remember just how important they were in providing the attachment point for the most important flying instrument - that short length of red wool. 😉

• Haha 1

Ah nostalgia! Lovely models of two great classics. I like the silver & Dayglo scheme best, definitely the smartest!

Anyone else at White Waltham August 1974? Sedburghs WG499, VX275, Mk3s WT910, XA311,

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

Absolutely beautiful glider! Vacform in this scale is somewhat masochistic, but kudos to you for not only attempting it, but succeeding so well!

This is the first glider I climbed in in the late 80s when I first visited Zimbabwe. It was fun to fly, but I was somewhat not amused by the fact that there was no parachute to be found anywhere... 

Thanks for the memories and congrats on a superb build.

JR

• Thanks 1

These are delightful.

Although never in the Air Cadets oneself,I remember seeing these flying on summer Sunday afternoons when out around

the then RAF Ternhill in the 60's/70's when on a "Sunday afternoon" drive with one's parents.

One's father would park up on the lane that borders the airfield and we'd watch the gliders.

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2019 at 4:02 PM, limeypilot said:

Love this build though, as like many here I flew in both as an Air Cadet, although I got my glider cert in a Venture.

Thanks Ian. I have the Aeroclub 1/72 Venture in my stash and its on the list to build soon.

23 hours ago, kiwitrogg said:

Lovely builds, and I reckon a good idea to do different colour schemes. Well done.

Thanks Gaz. The schemes were originally to be the same, but I'm glad I did the T21 in the red/white. I think an earlier Prefect in silver with yellow bands would look good with them, maybe even an earlier Grasshopper.

10 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Sorry to be picky but both your Barge and Mk 3 Brick are not finished. Where are the pitot heads?

Anyone who has flown these aircraft will remember just how important they were in providing the attachment point for the most important flying instrument - that short length of red wool. 😉

Guilty as charged! I expect I will add the pitot's to both, shouldn't be too hard, whether I'll get the red string to look in scale is open to speculation!

10 hours ago, Viking said:

Ah nostalgia! Lovely models of two great classics. I like the silver & Dayglo scheme best, definitely the smartest!

Anyone else at White Waltham August 1974? Sedburghs WG499, VX275, Mk3s WT910, XA311,

Cheers

John

Cheers John, glad you like. I'm erring towards the Silver & Dayglo as the favourite myself, as that's the one I solo'd in, during January 1971!

9 hours ago, jean said:

Thanks for the memories and congrats on a superb build.

Thanks JR. I wont be doing another vac form for a while yet!

8 hours ago, Bedders said:

It's a gorgeous thing. Exudes images of sunshine, open fields and tranquility.

Justin

Glad you like Justin.

7 hours ago, Ossington said:

Icy horizontal rain, perpetual hunger and holding onto wing tips while others took off! (Lindholme 74-5. Just checked my F3822, always to hand!) 

Sounds spookily familiar!

6 hours ago, DaveWilko said:

These are delightful.

Although never in the Air Cadets oneself,I remember seeing these flying on summer Sunday afternoons when out around

the then RAF Ternhill in the 60's/70's when on a "Sunday afternoon" drive with one's parents.

One's father would park up on the lane that borders the airfield and we'd watch the gliders.

Thanks DaveWilko. They seem very popular subjects around here!

Thanks again all for your encouraging comments.

Terry

• Like 1