4 FTS Hunter

Yes, I know.  I'm being totally insane.   :mental:  :frantic:  I haven't really started all my other builds in this GB but I'm having so much fun building an Airfix Hunter in the 50s NATO v Warpac GB that I couldn't resist starting another. 

The ideal situation would have been to build a Hunter T.7 using the Aerocraft conversion set. However, that set isn't yet ready for release.   @Ali62  put me down for a set when it is!   A T.7 in 1/48?   I think I'll reach critical mass!!!  :bounce:  

In the meantime, I'll jump in with a single seater.  During the 1970s, 4 FTS at RAF Valley used a number of Hunter F6 aircraft as advanced trainers.  They wore the classic Training Command colour scheme, which I think will look really good in 1/48.  

I will be using the recently releaased Airfix 1/48 kit with decals from Xtradecal X48192.

The following photos have already been posted in my build thread in the 50s Nato v WP GB, but after this I will use photos of this specific build. 

The box...

H001.JPG

H002.JPG

H003.JPG

H004.JPG

H005.JPG

Let the insanity commence!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

It's long since time that I updated this thread!!!

To be honest, there's not much to see as the kit is very straightforward indeed.   Here are the fuselage halves and intake trunking assembled, together with the cockpit and nose gear bay parts. I learned from my prvious Airfix hunter build that I didn't need to put as much ballast in the forward fuselage.  There were no structural issues on the previous model and the undercarriage could happily take the weight.  There's just no need for quite as much as I put in.  :) 

spacer.png

The only slightly tricky bit on the assembly process is assembling the wings.  It is only tricky insofar as you need to follow the instructions precisely.  Don'y try fitting the upper and lower wings together before fitting them to the fuselage.  That just won't work.  As recommended, fit the upper wing to the fuselage, build the gear bays and then fit the lower wing.

spacer.png

If you are careful about the fitment of the upper wing, there should be no need for filler and very little need for sanding.

spacer.png

Primed overall with grey plastic auto primer from a rattle can.   The white was then sprayed as a succession of very thin coats of white plastic auto primer, also from a rattle can.

spacer.png

After that, the white [primer was reinforced by a few thin coats of matt lacquer.  The white was masked and Light Aircraft Grey sprayed using Xtracrylix XA1015.

Once dry and lacquered, the grey was masked again.  Now come the difficult bit.  I sprayed all the edges of the masking tape with yet more clear lacquer in an attempt to seal them.  Getting red paint creep into the white areas would be an utter nightmare and almost impossible to rectufy without a complete stripdown and repaint.  Best to make sure it doesn't happen in the first place. :)

I then primed the red areas using ordinary red auto primer yet again from a rattle can.  Red acrylic model paint is notorious for being translucent, hence the red primer.  I then sprayed the top coat with numerous mist coats of Xtracrylix XA1014 Red Arrows Red.  after it had all dried, I kinda freaked!  :frantic:  That red is far too light for an ordinary trainer scheme, even over a dark red primer.  So I tried a few coats of Xtracrylix XA1214 RLM23 Rot.  Much better.

A bit of judicious masking and spraying with Lifecolor UA-723 Weathered Black, and this is where we get to...

spacer.png 

• Like 3

Here's one I made earlier.

Sorry.  Couldn't resist it...  :D 

spacer.png

Anyway, time for the stickers.  :fool:

These are from Xtradecal sheet X48003.  This is a very interesting sheet as it provides three seperate colour schemes for XF526:  56 Sqn, 63 Sqn and the 4FTS scheme you see here.   Eventually I'd like to build all three.

spacer.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! There are some nice Hunter training schemes out there. Or maybe the Hunter just looks good in any scheme?

Regards,

Adrian

Think it might be the latter 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...