This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

hacker

it makes you question your faith in yourself

2019 and according to the Chinese it is the year of the pig which it has been. l thought things this year would be better then last but it isn't. After two and half years as the stay at home parent my last child is in full time school. l can go find at least a part time job to bring in extra money. Starting in September l started looking then a friend of mine who owns a computer repair business told me one of his clients was looking for part time worker and was flexible on the hours. l went and applied with a resume and got the job. It was not an easy job but l managed l believed quite well. l worked in a shop that made granite and quartz counter tops. Paid good and the hours were 9 to 3. The weeks the wife could get the kids from the school bus l could work extra hours if it was required of me. Then the second week of December jobs dried up due to the time of year. So l been not work since. l had not enough hours to apply for unemployment money so we been coasting waiting for orders to come in hence back to work. Until now nothing. Then l get a call. Things were not good at the shop with orders as the winter weather we been having here has caused serious financial problems for the boss. He decided he did not need me anymore . If he knew this all a long he could have told me and l could have sought other employment.

Which brings me to myself. Being 58 now it not that easy getting something l am suited for.  Since l lost my long time job a few years ago it has been a struggle for me. At times l wonder if it is me or is it them? No matter what l try l seem to end up after a year being unemployed again. It is heart breaking. l am almost ready to throw in the towel as it seems no one wants a hard working individual anymore, or at least one that is over 55

Hacker the down trotted 

Im very sorry to hear that Hacker. I understand your issue as i have seen it myself at times. I hope you find a job and a happy path forward. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and the last best thing i can say is this. Every morning look at the mirror and say “life wont beat me today”, just never give up as something will turn up my friend. 

Dennis

21 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im very sorry to hear that Hacker. I understand your issue as i have seen it myself at times. I hope you find a job and a happy path forward. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and the last best thing i can say is this. Every morning look at the mirror and say “life wont beat me today”, just never give up as something will turn up my friend. 

Dennis

l do look into the mirror every morning and the face looking back me scares the crap out of me 

Hacker

I know how you feel. I have been out of the workforce for some years now as I have to care for my wife full time and, as I am approaching my late forties I wonder just what I will do if my wife's health recovers to a level where I can see about returning to the world of work. I reckon that the only way to get stable work with a future is to come up with some self employed business that you can excel at. Bosses are all too often very narrow minded and can't see past age when you are over about 35 despite that you actually have decades of good working life left in you and a wealth of skills to offer. 

I think the present mindset of bosses can run along the lines that they fear older workers with more skill, who could threaten their own jobs. Experience comes at a price from both sides of the fence. The greasy pole climbers don't understand the mindset of some workers who no longer want the cut and thrust, so apply for lesser jobs. I was fortunate at my last job in the HR manager knew me from a previous mutual employer, and understood my motivation. I also ticked all the boxes and could do the job standing on my head. Having beaten 14 other short listers, I then faced a present employee who wanted his old job back.

The old nail of being on the job scrapheap at 40 is true to a point, certainly in the UK. Thankfully some employers appreciate that older workers have much to offer. Automation is going to make this much harder in the future.

Best of luck Hacker, we have a big chain of DIY stores over here, and they love older, even retired workers. The customers understand these people have already done things like DIY and decoration in their own homes, so seek advice from 'elderly experts'.

I worked for a while in a jobs agency, I would regularly advise that if going for a job that was below your skill level, to dumb down your resume.  HR won't hire someone they think is over qualified for a position because they think you will only use them as a temporary job and monkey branch to something better when you get the chance. Look at small business, where your skills will directly help make the business owner money and you are no threat to his job. If you can, print out a few resumes and take a walk down to a local light industrial area. Many small business put out help wanted signs or simply ask if you can leave them a resume/card. Also, take anything you are offered, it's always easier to get a job when you have one.

I've found a lot of business' are open to hiring older workers, the trick is finding them. Best of luck.

I'm not saying that I blame the government ( provincial and federal ) for the crap state the country is in, but yeah, I blame the government.

I was lucky to retire before the present economical situation hit my province and the whole country. I'm doing OK., so far.

Chris

I'm hiring right now.

Know anything about models?

The commute might be a bit much from Ontario...

Posted (edited)

Don't let the baskets! grind you down. Life is too short for self doubt. Seriously LIFE IS SHORT,don't waste it,not one second. I have MND/ALS,so my time on this earth is somewhat truncated. I bitterly regret all the time I wasted on worrying about unimportant nothings like employment.  Something will always change for the better,usually unexpectedly. Enjoy everything!!

Edited by glatisant
change of text.

Amen to that @glatisant keep the faith brother. May your trials be small and the advances in medical science be great.

Hope yours is a long and happy life.

Paul

Thinking that you can't find work because you're too old can be a dangerous trap to fall into. How do you know it's the real reason? Are your skills up-to-date? Is your attitude right? Are you applying for jobs that are harder than what you've done before, or easier?

Get advice, have confidence in yourself, be tenacious and you will find work.

And remember, you have one big selling advantage; you're available immediately. For some employers that really matters.

Posted (edited)

I was told once by a HR guy that he was giving me the job in spite of my age. I was 37 at the time. Yes 37!

Well I'm 59 now and a full time parent. I am looking around for some work and have a useful app which lists all local job vacancies. 99% of which are simply unattainable for me. Others are possible but given the hours wouldn't work with the kids timetable. A full time job working office hours would require me to get childcare thus wiping out most of my earnings. 

But I have to say I'm confident something will come along that fits my needs. I'll know it when I see it. One intriguing job is just the thing. It's a flight simulator pilot for helping train ATC trainees. Vacancies come up occasionally and I'm all over that one. 

Luckily I don't have to have a job so I can wait for the right opportunity. So I would say to Hacker that yes it might take time but if you keep looking something will turn up. You can make your own luck. Keep your ear to ground and eyes on prize. To coin a phrase. 

Edited by noelh

In my line of work (quality systems assessor) we won’t hire young ‘kids’ as we need the work and life experience of an older person. I have just recruited 10 new staff and the youngest was over 40; one of my team is pushing 70 and still going strong.

I would be happy to have a look at your CV and offer any thoughts. Also, if you want to PM me I’ll give you my LinkedIn details as there are a fewcompanies linked to me that are recruiting - maybe one of them would be the job for you?!?