Converting Airfix C-47 skytrain to DC-2

MigModeller

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Slightly off-topic, but didn't somebody do a 1/72 vacform or conversion to do the C-117? Or was it just wishful thinking? I do remember seeing that somebody had converted  1/72 kit into one, but sadly I neglected to save the article.

Mike

Scalemates says that there is a vacu in 1/72 of C-117d by airmodel

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airmodel-am-261-douglas-c-117-r4d-8--208468

The quality of this vacu is rather not of the state of the art...

Cheers

J-W

Thanks, J-W- that's the kit I was thinking of. Might be easier to buy a big block of balsa and carve away everything that doesn't look like a C-117! I'm almost surprised Anigrand hasn't done it, but that would be some heavy chunks of resin! Thanks for taking the time to look for it.

Mike

• Like 1

Interesting!  The C-117 was used by the American transport squadron  here in the UK post war  Production about 50 machines.

Thanks for that.  As much as I would like to attempt this conversion, I'm not sure my skills are up to the challenge.

Edited by MigModeller

23 hours ago, MigModeller said:

Interesting!  The C-117 was used by the American transport squadron  here in the UK post war  Production about 50 machines.

Thanks for that.  As much as I would like to attempt this conversion, I'm not sure my skills are up to the challenge.

Edited 6 hours ago by MigModeller

Surely it is smaller conversion than from DC3 to DC2. However in description of C-117d I have found that external parts of wings got some swept, resulting in swept seen in tailing edge. On the drawings in my previous post it was not seen, but here it is really existing:

s-l300.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

I think converting the standard C-47 into a Super Dakota is also a bit complicated. 

May I give another suggestion, I did some years ago an Arctic version :      https://nl.pinterest.com/pin/743445850966474378/

Greetings,

JohnHAA

If you convert your Dakota in a C117D then the Airmodel kit is a good way to start...

How do i know? Well i had two in the stash and measured the thing ..

What you need from the vacform are the outer wings,the horizontal stabiliser and the nacelles and you can use the tail..Maybe the fuselage can be partly used to lenghten your donor kit..

The new Airfix kit will be perfectly usable as it measures pretty much the same as the Airmodel fuselage in widht and height.

Airmodels cockpit isn’t usable at all..

The outer wings on the super DC3 do have a  different shape to improve stall caracteristics as the leadingedge has a equal thickness towards the wingtip..this feature is correct on the Airmodel kit.

The upper part of the vertical stabiliser is the same as on the A26 invader which is also a Douglas product Only on the first super this was a normal but slightly altered Dakota tail..this would be a better starting point for the tail then the vacform.

The wing center section is too wide ..use the one from your donor the new tool Airfix kit.

If you decide to do it i recommend you too buy an Airmodel kit as this is still available from the producer in germany for something at around 10 pounds..the best kit at the moment and in my humble opinion the new tool Airfix would be the best companion for this conversion.

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your contributions

I have a 1970s mould Dakota, not the new tooling.  So I have character in the form of rivets!

If there was such a gathering as a RAF Northolt GB, then I would be motivated to do a C-117

In the meantime I'll have to check loft insulation for Aviation News ???

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...