Converting Airfix C-47 skytrain to DC-2

MigModeller

It's possible, but you don't really want to do it, when the excellent MPM DC-2 kit is available. Fuselage width of the DC-2 is 66 inches; span is 85 feet; length is 62 feet, six  inches. DC-3 fuselage width is 99 inches; span is 95 feet, two inches, and the length is 64 feet eight inches. Engines, cockpit windows, fuselage, stabilizers/fin,  landing gear, oil coolers, cowlings, props, and landing lights are different, and the DC-3's wing planform/sweep is different as welI, IIRC. The MPM kit is a very good one- see the reviews, and after you gathered all the bits and decals you would need for the conversion, you would be spending a lot more than the price of a DC-2 kit from the Big H or that well-known e-site. Do a search for photos of both types to see what you're letting yourself in for. @Martian Hale and @Moa might be able to pull it off, but very few of us, me inlcuded, are either crazy or skilled enough!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

@Martian Hale and @Moa might be able to pull it off, but very few of us, me inlcuded, are either crazy or skilled enough!

Mike

I might be able to do it but with a kit already available, even I am not stupid enough to try.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Depends on your area of interest but if you are itching for a conversion you might consider a turbo DC3.  There are lots of great color schemes, such as Cargo North's which you an find on the web.  not sure what decals would be out there but there are conversion sets.

1 hour ago, MigModeller said:

Thank you 72modeler

Have to work out what to do with my Airfix C-47

MigModeler,

You might consider this one- it's a C-48; mostly DC-3 in appearance, but has a different window arrangement and a smaller fin/rudder than production DC-3/C-47's. Pretty attractive in natural metal and rudder striping.

Mike

https://1000aircraftphotos.com/APS/4058.htm

https://corescholar.libraries.wright.edu/special_ms223_photographs/173/

Edited by 72modeler
added additional link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold55 said:

Depends on your area of interest but if you are itching for a conversion you might consider a turbo DC3.  There are lots of great color schemes, such as Cargo North's which you an find on the web.  not sure what decals would be out there but there are conversion sets.

Oh ya, do a BT-67! Conversion kits are available, including this one from Alley Cat for your kit. Draw Decals has 1/72 BT-67 decals. I have Welsh Models' 1/144 BT-67 kit that includes Draw's US Forest Service markings.

17 hours ago, 72modeler said:

MigModeler,

You might consider this one- it's a C-48; mostly DC-3 in appearance, but has a different window arrangement and a smaller fin/rudder than production DC-3/C-47's. Pretty attractive in natural metal and rudder striping.

Mike

https://1000aircraftphotos.com/APS/4058.htm

https://corescholar.libraries.wright.edu/special_ms223_photographs/173/

Sorry but i have a small correction on your comment that the C-48 has a smaller rudder..

A C48 is in fact a  passenger aircraft  (DC3) impressed into the military role and some 36 had this designation wich varied in C48 A/B/C versions depending on interior and engine lay-out 

That is in fact just the colors on it that make it look smaller but rudder and tail are exactly the same as on any other C-47/DC3

Window arrangements can differ on the  DC3 depending on customers wishes for the door version like left or right and if it was build as a sleeper aircraft or other aspects.

I have seen many variations on American Airways/Airlines DST’s or DC3’s

cheers, Jan

You do sometimes see the DC-3 tail on variants that you would swear were DC-2s, but not the other way around.  There are however a large number of different military versions of these airframes which could keep you happy.  Then the Li2s, of course, and the Tabby, and perhaps if you are feeling adventurous (and had a spare fuselage) then the post-war Super DC-3/R4D-8.  But the DC-2 is really an almost completely different aircraft.

• Like 2

Jan,

You were right! After looking at the first photo I posted, I realized that the rudder striping did not cover the entire rudder, just the rear 2/3! Good eye! Thanks for correcting my mistake! ( I was so excited I actually found a photo of a C-48, I posted it without really looking at it closely!)

Mike

• Like 1

MigModeller

If you are bent on conversion you can try and go down the C-39 path. This was a transport, which combined DC-2 fuselage and outer wing panels with DC-3 tail, central wing section, undercarriage and Cyclone engines.

051221-F-1234P-014.JPG

The combination had been known unofficially as DC-2 1/2. However, I think there is kit available even for this rare bird. Cheers

Jure

4 hours ago, Moa said:

No wonder they call your boss the God of War:

That's no way to talk about Mrs Martian!

I mention the Australian Navy machines as they are singularly colourful, especially the later blue and white schemes.

N2-90-23rd-October-1992.jpg

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm still working out how to do a C-49 myself. The joys of buying decal sheets without knowing what the decals will go on! I really should stop doing that.

Agree with Mike above - get the MPM DC-2, it's much, much less grief!

If you REALLY, DESPERATELY want to do the conversion, pm me your email and I'll send you a scan of an article published in my club's magazine many years ago (pre the MPM release) on one modeller's take on the exercise. Be warned, it's not simple! Otherwise, as everyone has said, there are any god's quantity of great DC-3/C-47 schemes out there to use on your kit. Me, I'm a bit partial to the Australian ones, but then I'm a bit one eyed on that!

Lisunov Li-2 or Japaneese Shiowa Tabby  could be a good options, but also good kits of them exists. However there was something like super-Dakota (C-117 or R4D-8):

640_sdc_chuting.jpg

image013-2.jpg

image009.jpg

WMT-013R-2.jpg?1496529526

with tail of DC-7 style and engines like B-23 Dragon (that is next possibility!)

Or a turboprop variants, what was already suggested

Preferred-3-Turbo-ps.jpg

Cheers

J-W

P.S.

Drawings

1010-39-2-4.jpg

Edited by JWM
added PS
  • Like 1

Slightly off-topic, but didn't somebody do a 1/72 vacform or conversion to do the C-117? Or was it just wishful thinking? I do remember seeing that somebody had converted  1/72 kit into one, but sadly I neglected to save the article.

Mike