Airfix Phantom FG.1 FAA

Hi,

Been some time since I posted anything so........

There've been plenty of reviews and builds by those far more knowledgable than me regarding the kit so I'll keep it quick. Went together quite well though had a short-shot non-RWR fin that needed work plus I personally found the 2 piece nosewheel leg rather fiddly to get  (somewhat) right.  I probably should have spent longer reading previous builds but what would be the fun in that!

The decal sheet alone would probably be worth well north of a tenner if sold separately but doing all the stencils tested my eyesight and patience sorely hence photoing it on the instruction sheet. Got there in the end though and felt quite smug crossing off the  last one. There's a small prize for anyone spotting the upside down NO PUSH !

Stu

jmloQLG.jpg

rRCkIKV.jpg

16Iji5T.jpg

• Like 39

Nice Phantom there. I have a long standing preference for the 767 NAS finish, probably because that was the first RN phantom I saw in the flesh, back in the day.

Terry

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I have a long standing preference for the 767 NAS finish,

Hi,

I prefer the 767 version as well, the 892 fin flash looks all greek to me. (sorry!)

Thanks to everyone who has commented or tagged this, appreciated. The stencil sheet gave me a bit of a fright when I first looked at but it is worth persevering with as it worth it in the end. Took me about 4 days to do doing 1/2 here, 1/2 hour therewith time to let things dry off. They are logically laid out on the sheet and that makes it a bit easier.

Thanks again

Stu

• 3 months later...

Looks lovely. I'm doing mine as the 892 machine (sorry) but with the early fin (as yours) similarly sat, but with inboard pylons and TERs... and the centre tank (in dark grey) and canopies open. The stencils look like a few evening's work with a beer or two to maintain sanity; I hope I can make mine look similar to the finish on yours. Great work.