As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Nachtwulf

Yet another Tempest Question.

Does anyone know what color the gear down indicators on top of the wing are supposed to be? I would assume they would be  a contrasting color to the camo, but I have yet to find anything definitive.

Not familiar with the Tempest ones but a Spitfire Manual that I have seen specified they were to be Red (as mentioned above).

FWIW I just checked the pilots notes for the Tempest V & II and Typhoon, all mention a mechanical indicator rod or button but do not mention a colour. Red would make sense or a perhaps barber pole type colouring? Tough t find a photo of them even in museum displays... 

11 hours ago, Nachtwulf said:

Does anyone know what color the gear down indicators on top of the wing are supposed to be? I would assume they would be  a contrasting color to the camo, but I have yet to find anything definitive.

Maybe in the Valiant Wings Typhoon/Tempest monographs? I'll see if I can find something. If the Sea Fury also has them, maybe they are the same color?

Mike

Thank you to all who replied to my post! Barring further direction, I will paint them red. I may also paint the hat in camo as I assume they would only want the red to show when deployed.:shrug: .......... the things modelers obsess about, sheeesh.

1 hour ago, Nachtwulf said:

Thank you to all who replied to my post! Barring further direction, I will paint them red. I may also paint the hat in camo as I assume they would only want the red to show when deployed.:shrug: .......... the things modelers obsess about, sheeesh.

That's not obsession- it's all about getting it right; the difference between building a model and building a replica. It's the kind of stuff that when I see it when judging a  model  at a contest, I say to myself "Now this guy knows how to model!"

Mike