Airfix RAF Air Sea Rescue Launch

Or to call it by its proper name, the British Powerboat Company 63ft Type 2. Bit of a mouthful that, we'll stick to whaleback shall we?

I've always had a hankering for this kit ever since I built the Vosper MTB as a nipper and only just recently picked one up. So the kit is mostly standard, I didn't want to go too overboard with scratch building and aftermarket. The weapons were very questionable however, so I picked up a couple of sets of Vickers GO for the turrets and twin mounts on either side of the cockpit and I also found a 20mm Oerlikon and pedestal from UM models. I added some hinges to the ready ammunition boxes on deck and a couple of smaller parts from plastic stock, and made a new guide rail for the 20mm from fuse wire after I snapped the kit part twice. Rigging was done with 2lb fishing line and some dextrous knot tying, with a wee dab of superglue to keep it all in place. I may re-do the long aerials between the bow and stern if someone can tell me how to do those multi wire jobs they used, I can't for the life of me work out how to do it.

And I've only just realised I've buggered up and put the deck decal the wrong way round. And it's all sealed in now, bugger!

46402227055_d6a210f601_o.jpg

47264798732_13d34d2b06_o.jpg

46402226875_e7d0d480fd_o.jpg

47264798602_2263534a8d_o.jpg

46402226755_5ae0439d96_o.jpg

47264798402_33ac44d6a7_o.jpg

Edited by Oddball
  • Like 31

Very nice. :goodjob:

I currently have this subject moving very slowly on my bench and I too have got replacement guns for the twins and the Oerlikon but not bothering with the turret guns.

As far as the for-aft aerial, I done this on my previous ASRL build here, post #72:

HTH

Stuart

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oddball said:

want to build another one

Go for it.

I have 3 more kits of Airfix's ASRL and after I've finished the current ASRL, I'll be looking at doing an MGB, MTB and a MAS/B using the same hull and stuff.

Stuart

• Like 2