Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Duncan B

BlackMike Models ceasing selling to Germany

Recommended Posts

BlackMike Models regrets, that with immediate effect, we are no longer able to sell any of our products to addresses in Germany. This regrettable decision has been taken due to new packaging laws introduced in Germany on the 1st January 2019.

 

This new law effectively creates a trade barrier for Companies, Online retailers, Amazon traders, eBay traders etc based in other countries within the EU, to sell freely into the German market without incurring significant additional costs or running the risk of prohibitive fines and other sanctions.

 

Duncan B

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently seeking clarification from my local MSP on this matter, to verify this law actually exists and if so the implications of it on businesses based in other parts of the EU other than Germany.

I am hoping I and many other online Traders have been taking in by a huge hoax but in the meantime I have no option other than to play it safe and pause sales to Germany.

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may help:

https://verpackungsgesetz-info.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/20171019_landbell_verpackg-factsheet_en_final.pdf

 

It seems to be intended to make sure that people who MAKE packaging in Germany, whether it's for products or shipping packaging, register and certify that their packaging meets certain recycling targets, and that German online retailers meet the same requirements if they are sourcing large quantities of packing materials. If there are common EU regulations covering packaging, then I guess the people you buy your boxes from are already conforming to them, but I bet HLJ and HobbyEasy aren't certifying the boxes they send me stuff in from Japan for anything other than domestic postage regs...

 

Anyway, there's a handy web site and phone number on the factsheet, and you can call Ellen Hitschler direct on +49 61 31 23 56 52 – 807 and ask her... she's the "Expert for Sales Packaging" dedicated to helping out online retailers...

 

best,

M.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s excellent, thanks for the info.

 

DB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having spent the day investigating and with additional pointers from cmatthewbacon along with others (I thank you for taking the time to help out) it does appear that the Packaging Act of 2019 is not only very real but would affect me so, unfortunately, BlackMike Models will not be selling products to Germany with immediate effect.

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was caught by surprise as well, only accidentally stumbled upon this while researching something else.

I suspended selling to Germany for the time being, spent the last couple of days reading up on everything and have decided to sign up.

Registering your company is free, done at https://lucid.verpackungsregister.org/

Then you'll nave to "license" the amount of packaging you send to Germany with one of Germany's official recycling companies and here is a problem as many have a minimum contract fee that already includes hundreds of kg of material, so way out of proportion for a small company sending a couple of dozens of orders to Germany per year.

However, I've now found one company that doesn't have a minimum fee and you can license quantities as low as 1kg per annum. https://www.reclay-group.com/de/en/

There may be others, but that's the only one I've found so far.

 

You just have to weigh up whether about €10 per year will be worth paying in order to keep business in Germany.

 

The bigger question now is, will other countries follow? The EU directive for implementing packaging recycling has been in place for many years, but countries have been handling it differently. Will companies have to join recycling schemes in each and every country?? It would make much more sense, to actually have a unified EU recycling system as this insulated approach kind of runs against the borderless EU trading principle.

 

Cheers,

Jeffrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

I was caught by surprise as well, only accidentally stumbled upon this while researching something else.

I suspended selling to Germany for the time being, spent the last couple of days reading up on everything and have decided to sign up.

Registering your company is free, done at https://lucid.verpackungsregister.org/

Then you'll nave to "license" the amount of packaging you send to Germany with one of Germany's official recycling companies and here is a problem as many have a minimum contract fee that already includes hundreds of kg of material, so way out of proportion for a small company sending a couple of dozens of orders to Germany per year.

However, I've now found one company that doesn't have a minimum fee and you can license quantities as low as 1kg per annum. https://www.reclay-group.com/de/en/

There may be others, but that's the only one I've found so far.

 

You just have to weigh up whether about €10 per year will be worth paying in order to keep business in Germany.

 

The bigger question now is, will other countries follow? The EU directive for implementing packaging recycling has been in place for many years, but countries have been handling it differently. Will companies have to join recycling schemes in each and every country?? It would make much more sense, to actually have a unified EU recycling system as this insulated approach kind of runs against the borderless EU trading principle.

 

Cheers,

Jeffrey

We have Jamie to thank for highlighting the issue otherwise I would never have known about it. My volume of sales to Germany is very small so it's probably more hassle for me than it's worth at the moment. It's not the cost as I found a Company that charged €75 per annum for 150Kg which would be more than enough but the paperwork side of it would add another layer of bureaucracy that I just don't need at present with new Customs documentation likely to appear very shortly here in the UK.  If the whole EU goes for a similar system then I'll have to reassess at that time.

The thing that did annoy me was that this approach seemed to me to go against the whole idea of an EU that is based on unrestricted free trading for all it's members but we'd best not go there as it'll turn into a political bunfight which isn't allowed on here and I'm royally sick of the whole subject in any case.

Good luck with your application, do come back and let us know if it working out ok or if it is a bureaucratic minefield to be avoided.

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 8:22 AM, Duncan B said:

We have Jamie to thank for highlighting the issue otherwise I would never have known about it. My volume of sales to Germany is very small so it's probably more hassle for me than it's worth at the moment. It's not the cost as I found a Company that charged €75 per annum for 150Kg which would be more than enough but the paperwork side of it would add another layer of bureaucracy that I just don't need at present with new Customs documentation likely to appear very shortly here in the UK.  If the whole EU goes for a similar system then I'll have to reassess at that time.

The thing that did annoy me was that this approach seemed to me to go against the whole idea of an EU that is based on unrestricted free trading for all it's members but we'd best not go there as it'll turn into a political bunfight which isn't allowed on here and I'm royally sick of the whole subject in any case.

Good luck with your application, do come back and let us know if it working out ok or if it is a bureaucratic minefield to be avoided.

 

Duncan B

 

That's the Hypersonic Jeffrey whom I accidently found out from...

 

The real problem here is that we all made the big mistake of starting model businesses 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

 

That's the Hypersonic Jeffrey whom I accidently found out from...

 

The real problem here is that we all made the big mistake of starting model businesses 😂

The real problem isn't the starting the model business but not knowing when to quit !! :frantic:

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...hmmmm...

I was about to license my packaging with the firm quoted above, only to discover that their online registration form contains only European countries! I contacted them, but no reply yet...

I did get a reply from one of the other companies, but that puts me back to my initial problem of paying a minimum of about €50 annually for ca. 100 times the quantities I actually need.

I also wrote to the Central Register government agency where you need to register your company and asked them about this problem, that there's a lack of provisions for small companies sending very low quantities of packaging. I got an automated reply saying that the vast volumes of requests cause a considerable delay in replying and I should consult the FAQ's instead bla bla...

 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×