Airfix 1/72 Lancaster B.III, 'Ton up' Lanc, PB150, 625 Sqn RAF. Update 06.05.19

22 minutes ago, Antb said:

Good save Iain, I'm pleased you've picked this back up. 

The new scheme looks great too 😊

Hey Ant

Thanks buddy - The alternate scheme is pretty darn cool and I'm happy that I didn't do my usual thing of have a paddy and throw the whole lot in the bin (I'm not proud to say that I have done that on several occasions)

Cheers mate

Iain

• Like 1

Ladies and Gents

I have a question about smoke stains on WW2 Lancasters more precisely the colour of 'em?

Am I right in thinking that during the War because of the higher lead content of the petrol the smoke stains were much darker than they are today?

WW2..

AIRCRAFT OF THE ROYAL AIR FORCE 1939-1945: AVRO 683 LANCASTER.

IWM

lancaster-bomber

worklad

3f591642-f1fd-11e6-9747-d0a815931e4a

auction.catawiki

Modern...

_73185138_73185137

historyanswers

maxresdefault

britannica

Any advice would be apprechiated and ta in advance.

Iain

36 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Am I right in thinking that during the War because of the higher lead content of the petrol the smoke stains were much darker than they are today?

here's one I prepared earlier. using stick back plastic and an old washing up liquid bottle....

On 13/08/2014 at 02:11, robvulcan said:

Hi I am making a Lancaster at the moment and I have seen some who do the exhaust streaks as black but many more done with whites, greys, beige etc, Why is this it ?,

Seems unusual to my uninformed idea of what exhaust stains should look like.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Cheers Rob ;)

You'd need someone to explain about the technicalities of engines, but the short is engine settings, and in particular 'leaning out' the fuel mixture, for economical crusing cause different combustion.

Also, the fuel were leaded.

I once got close enough to a Hurricane, and this had pale grey with brown hint, and it's soft and rubs off easily, and was cleaned off airframes.

last point, Lancs have a very distincive stain, the two outermost stains go under, not over.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234951912-avro-lancaster-exhaust-stains-done/page-5#entry1657412

due to the dihedral at that point and the way the engine cowling is angled so that it remains perpendicular to the ground. At lot of people miss that one.

I did make a postng on this....OK, here we go

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234955247-lancaster-exhaust-cover-and-staining/

Try looking through Etienne du Plessis flickr files, he has been posting up colour photos, he's also a member here

right, 50 Sq, 1942.

Note the mix of colours, and that the most outboard exhaust trails goes mostly under the wing, note outside of nacelle, and stain on tailplane

7809630994_a590554d7f_o.jpg

Perhaps clearer here, the light colour of internal framework or rear turret is also of note.

9422391637_7e0e686a79_o.jpg

101 Sq on the ground. Note stains on tailplane as well, also the plane in the background.

8685606534_766f0c3c25_o.jpg

Ground crews did clean this gunk off, the pale grey-brown is really soft an rubs off very easily.

I can only find this lo-res pic, it's famous, and really shows the exhaust pattern very well

p002989_m_Mikes_books_009.jpg

It's probably on the IWM site, found this though

large.jpg

and this

large.jpg

There are more, have a search, i tried 'Lancaster over target'

HTH

T

col;our varies depending on how the plane is flown, a very lean mixture gives the pale grey-brown, full throttle gives black

HTH

• Like 4

4 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hey Ant

Thanks buddy - The alternate scheme is pretty darn cool and I'm happy that I didn't do my usual thing of have a paddy and throw the whole lot in the bin (I'm not proud to say that I have done that on several occasions)

Cheers mate

Iain

It's a great scheme, it's going to look fab. 

We've all thrown them, I just give them my 4 year old son to play with now instead. He smashes them and has fun at the same time 🤣

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone

I'm still plugging away at this (its actually a rather fab kit) any problems with it have been totally of my own making. After my little tantrum the other week I forgot that I had used Maskol to mask the canopy, bomb aimers window and rear turret and I left it for over two weeks - not good coz when I tried to remove it it pulled the paint off with it DOH! I happen to have a spare sprue H so I'm going to replace all the transparencies at the end of the build (I've also ordered another masking set from Eduard)

Anyway here is how she looks as of now..

IMG_0355

IMG_0353

IMG_0357

IMG_0356

Cheers

Iain

• Like 5

The new scheme looks really smart Iain. Shame about the transparencies though but pleased you've a solution already. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Antb said:

The new scheme looks really smart Iain. Shame about the transparencies though but pleased you've a solution already. 

Hi Ant

Thanks mate its starting to come together now.  The transparencies although a pain aren’t the end of the world, I could probably get away using the originals (the bomb Aimers bubble and Astro dome have taken a bit of a bashing) but I do have a spare set and I can stretch to another masking set so why not 😚.

Anyway I’ve spent today on the undercarriage, props and spinners 👍 so with any luck she will be in the RFI before too long.

Cheers buddy

Iain

• 3 years later...

Hi @(ex)Sgtrafman,

This modl was looking excellent, did you ever finish it?

I'm building the same scheme in 1/48

Cheers