Airfix 1/72 Lancaster B.III, 'Ton up' Lanc, PB150, 625 Sqn RAF. Update 06.05.19

Hey everyone

For my next build I intend to finish a kit I started last year the Airfix 1/72 Lancaster B.III. I have a little after market in the form of resin guns from Quick Boost..

QB72457

Eduard Zoom set...

ss485

and decals from Xtradecal...

xtradecal

As the title says I want to finish her as EE136, WS*R, 9 Sqn RAF Bardney 'Spirit of Russia' that finished the war with 109 missions, 93 with 9 Sqn and 16 with 189 Sqn (she was transferred to 189 Sqn RAF Fulbeck as CA*R).

40173859933_2775310982_z.jpg

Pinterest

I don't have much to show yet other than I've painted the fuselage halves but I will post some progress pictures in due course.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Martin Axe said:

Looking forward to seeing your progress 😁👍

I hope I can do her justice!

8 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Always keen to watch a Lancaster come together, Iain.

😁👍

Iain

Evening all

Just a small update. I've been working on the IP this afternoon and I'm quite happy with how its turning out, it still needs weathering and some photoetch to finish it off..

IMG_0236

IMG_0237

IMG_0238

That my friends is literally all I have to show.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 4

Hey everyone

A small update for you. I've finished the interior (such as it is) and glued the fuselage halves together..

IMG_0250

IMG_0255

..I'm quite happy with the results and it should look ok once the canopy has been attached, I've added some plastic strip to replicate the padding that was attached to the rear cockpit decking which I will paint dark green once the rear decking has been painted and I think I'll repaint the engineers seat just to make it look a little more uniform.

I think I may have read on another thread (possibly on @Procopius rather spiffing build of the same kit) that it is possible to cut off the parts of the main spar that the engines attach too, build them as separate units wings et all and attach them much later in the build to make handling the plane much, much easier, so with that in mind that's what I did..

IMG_0244

IMG_0246

IMG_0248

..once the wing halves have been glued together I should be able to coax the spars into place and still give a nice, strong support for them.

Now the last photo's are me showing off a little. When I left the air force back in 2013 we bought a summer house / office for my wife to work from home, well she left her job and never used it so it became a bit of a dumping ground.

Over the period of the last couple of years I have kept on and on that it was just a waste of a great out door space (i.e my space) and she finally relented so now I have the summer house as my work shop..

IMG_0287

IMG_0288

IMG_0289

...I'm a happy bunny.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 14

1 hour ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

I think I may have read on another thread (possibly on @Procopius rather spiffing build of the same kit) that it is possible to cut off the parts of the main spar that the engines attach too, build them as separate units wings et all and attach them much later in the build to make handling the plane much, much easier, so with that in mind that's what I did..

You're a much braver man than me (not difficult, but still merits the recognition). 

One question for you, Airfix have me put the yellow dot on the front of the headrest, whereas yours is on the back. I've seen it both ways, is one more correct, or did it just vary?

Lanc%204.jpg

bfe408e681ffd8402e97c0a65bdd75c5--cockpi

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Procopius said:

You're a much braver man than me (not difficult, but still merits the recognition). 

One question for you, Airfix have me put the yellow dot on the front of the headrest, whereas yours is on the back. I've seen it both ways, is one more correct, or did it just vary?

Lanc%204.jpg

bfe408e681ffd8402e97c0a65bdd75c5--cockpi

Hiya

I'll be totally honest and say I don't really know, I do know that the yellow dot meant that the metal was armour plate, so I guess it was down to who ever installed it as to where the dot was applied (on my build I've gone for front and back just to cover both bases)

Iain

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dadofthree said:

Love that workspace! Exceedingly envious! Will be watching 

Hiya

I realize that I am luckier than some and my wife is very understanding when it comes to the hobby, I just wish I had more time to commit to it ☹️

Cheers buddy

Iain 

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

I haven't been sitting on my laurels over the past week I have managed a little time in the workshop. It hasn't been plan sailing though as I managed to drop her and dislodge some of the PE and window glass, the PE I can't reinstall, not without taking the fuselage apart anyway and the glass is an easy fix using Krystal Klear glue,  I've also drilled out the two openings on top of the fuselage and filled them with Krystal Klear.

IMG_0297

IMG_0298

IMG_0300

And as you can see I've used the Eduard masking set (a must really) to mask all the transparencies. I just need to cover the bulged parts / bomb aimers window with masking fluid. 

IMG_0301

As you can see from the pictures I've elected to separate the inner engine nacelles from the main wing spar, this has worked out well and makes handing and painting the model so much easier, however when I came to attaching the engine nacelles to the wing sections I had problems with parts F7, F8 x 2 and F9 not fitting very well. To over come this little problem I used sprue goo to fill the offending areas, let it dry for 3 days then sanded back and finished using Mr Surfacer 1200 to fill any minor gaps, I still need to rescribe the wings and air intakes on the nacelles but I am very happy with how its turning out. 

IMG_0304

IMG_0305

IMG_0306

IMG_0307

All in all I'm very happy with how this build is progressing and the Airfix kit is a gem - they have really managed to capture the look of the Lancaster..,.

IMG_0303

That's all for now, have a great Sunday.

Iain

• Like 5

Hiya

Just a small update. I've been waiting for a resupply of Maskol to arrive over the past week so I haven't been able to do very much on the Lanc until it arrived, I have however assembled and painted the guns and turrets (not the trickiest of operations granted)...

IMG_0316

IMG_0313

IMG_0329

IMG_0323

..I think they look rather good on the airframe, they give the model the characteristic look of a Lancaster and as you can can see I've been slopping Maskol about with gay abandon so I should be able to start the painting phase pretty soon. Over the past week I haven't been idle though as I've made a start on the Airfix Wellington Mk.1A/C photo's of that build to follow. 

Cheers all I'm off down to my local for a couple of pints with the missus.

Iain

Edit: I've just realized that I've used the wrong side cockpit windows on my Lanc, 'Spirit of Russia' had flat windows not the bulged type - bugger!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Has anyone experienced problems using Tamiya X22 taking for ever to cure? I sprayed my Lanc last night and this morning even though it seemed dry to the touch I started to decal it (these stuck on and refused to move so they tore) and I've left finger prints all over it and at one point my glove stuck to it, the paint job is ruined and I'm not too sure what to do - to be honest I feel like throwing it in the bin - I might leave it for another few hours and try again but the patch up work that needs doing on the paint is really  bumming me out...

...Edit

I left it until now (13:00 GMT) some 16 hours after I originally sprayed it in a nice 18 degree temp and its still tacky so its going to the shelf of doom never to see the light of day again - It annoys me that I've spent all this time, effort and money on it only for it to be ruined by something out side of my control, suffice to say I wont be using X22 again EVER!

Cheers all

Iain

• Sad 3

Just now, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

What's underneath the X-22 and how long had it had to cure?

Hiya

Mr Surfacer 1200, XF-82, Vallejo 029 and XF-69 and they all had roughly 24 Hrs to cure in a nice constant temperature, I usually use Alclad Aqua Gloss for my gloss coat and that seems to work well but because I have a lot of X22 I thought I'd give it a try..regretting that decision now!

I know its not the end of the world but I still feel very deflated as I was looking forward to having a Lancaster in my collection!

Cheers

Iain

• Sad 1

Is it separate wings and fuselage that you've painted?  A strip and repaint (once you've gotten over the gnawing stomach feeling) shouldn't be THAT bad...  better than permanent residence on the shelf of doom.  Just think how good you'd feel having gotten past that obstacle!  (That's one of those helpful bits of advice that is a lot easier to say than to act upon.)

Of course, a nice long spell on the shelf of purgatory might give the various paints a chance to forget what they were arguing about...

• Like 3

Sorry to hear of your problems with this one Ian. It was looking nice too. 

I think gigngerbob has it about right, give it some time and try and strip it off and go again. When you feel up to it, of course. 

I hope you do decide to pick up the build again but understand your frustrations and disappointment. It's the worst part of this hobby. 

Keep your chin up your builds are always great and I love seeing them come together. 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 3:19 PM, gingerbob said:

Is it separate wings and fuselage that you've painted?  A strip and repaint (once you've gotten over the gnawing stomach feeling) shouldn't be THAT bad...  better than permanent residence on the shelf of doom.  Just think how good you'd feel having gotten past that obstacle!  (That's one of those helpful bits of advice that is a lot easier to say than to act upon.)

Of course, a nice long spell on the shelf of purgatory might give the various paints a chance to forget what they were arguing about...

On 4/22/2019 at 3:50 PM, Antb said:

Sorry to hear of your problems with this one Ian. It was looking nice too. 

I think gigngerbob has it about right, give it some time and try and strip it off and go again. When you feel up to it, of course. 

I hope you do decide to pick up the build again but understand your frustrations and disappointment. It's the worst part of this hobby. 

Keep your chin up your builds are always great and I love seeing them come together. 

Cheers gents - I've left it alone for a week and decided to carry on with her even though she will be in a different guise.....

I decided that because the model still seemed to be tacky (even after a week) I would handle it using the wings as hand holds and when I fitted them I found this boo boo..

IMG_0339

..the decals were about 2 mm too far forward so as you can see the R was partially obscured behind the wing trailing edge grrrrrr...so they had to come off! Out came the MIcro Set, the masking tape and sand paper and after 10 minutes I was back to this..

IMG_0340

IMG_0341

..Now this left me with a quandary as I'd already used the decals for 'Spirit of Russia' and I don't have any spares what 'ton up' Lanc could I build instead? Now fortunately the Xtradecal set gives you options to build several other Lancaster's so I've decided to build PB150 of 625 Sqn, Royal Air Force station Kelstern so I added the H2S radome under the rear fuselage (which you get in the Airfix kit)

lancaster PB150

Pinterest

So Ladies and Gents thats where I am as of this morning.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 5