Another recognition test

Sabrejet

China Lake again, this time circa November 1979: I scanned the photo quite large, so you can click on it and zoom in a bit. No prizes but hopefully an interesting thing to peruse:

China Lake 3

I haven't listed the types yet, so off you go.

• Like 1

On the Pad:

King Air

F-4B or J (or possibly S)

TA-4 or OA-4M

A-6E

KB-50 (probably, I can’t zoom in enough on the phone to see the engines)

VW Bully

left: loads of Sabres, two F-5Es, another Sabre 

To the right:

2 T-34s

Cessna 172

2 C-117s

the stuff to the right pending, as they are too fuzzy, as well as the one „above“ the centre hangar.

Thanks for the pic 😊

Now I see the Bronco - another one that has hidden well - and the Commander. The ones I thought were F-5Es actually are T-38s going by their noses, but they seem to have the rear Cockpits "blocked" - blind flying curtains in the back ? I believe there's a Tracker "above" the Commander - just scrolled up, Andy says it's a Trader. 

I was wondering whether the red "F-5 Family" plane to the right could be the first F-20, but 1979 would seem a bit early for it.

Way ahead of me guys so I'll duck out of this one, I am though amazed at how big the TA-4/OA-4M at the rear of the front pad, looks against the F-4 & A-6 just in from of it, must be in a different scale. :)

Steve.

• Haha 1

The Sabres are a mix of QF-86H (4 at left) and QF-86F (two at left plus one being towed and another QF-86F and a QF-86H at extreme right. Not sure what's in the hangar.

The QT-38As could be flown from the front cockpit (if manned) but the drone gear was installed in the aft cockpit so the inside of the rear canopy was painted white for cooling effect.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

Really? It looks to be this one to me - same place, same time - and this is definitely a Trader, not a Tracker:

SVA-790100-01.jpg

VX-5 had both: the one in the photo isn't 'pregnant' like a Trader.

I still can't see any OV-10's. I see what appears to be an O-2 Skymaster . Could someone please point out the Bronco's before I go to the eye doctor?:drunk:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

China Lake again, this time circa November 1979: I scanned the photo quite large, so you can click on it and zoom in a bit. No prizes but hopefully an interesting thing to peruse:

China Lake 3

I haven't listed the types yet, so off you go.

Assuming this and the other images are yours Duncan, you are a lucky b@gg@r!! ;)

Martin

Just now, RidgeRunner said:

Assuming this and the other images are yours Duncan, you are a lucky b@gg@r!! ;)

Martin

Not mine per se: some USN official with others taken by staff at USNWC/NAWS. Most are range aircraft rather than active types, but there are some nice QF-86s (not surprisingly) among them.

• Like 1

Shame.... I'd hoped that you'd been lucky enough to visit. Some "enthusiasts" did around that time. I recall seeing reports of the B-29s on the ranges, etc.

Just now, RidgeRunner said:

Shame.... I'd hoped that you'd been lucky enough to visit. Some "enthusiasts" did around that time. I recall seeing reports of the B-29s on the ranges, etc.

Sadly not, though I did do Davis Monthan. B-29 photos aplenty though.

4 minutes ago, Nachtwulf said:

I still can't see any OV-10's. I see what appears to be an O-2 Skymaster . Could someone please point out the Bronco's before I go to the eye doctor?:drunk:

The OV-10 is at 1 o'clock from the two QT-38s at left. I suspect it's the NOV-10 from the previous shot I posted.

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

The QT-38As could be flown from the front cockpit (if manned) but the drone gear was installed in the aft cockpit so the inside of the rear canopy was painted white for cooling effect.

Thanks Duncan, that explains it.

Did anyone mention the what I think are two Skyhawks at the extreme top? 

38 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

When did you get to D-M?

late April 97? (I'm guessing but I think that's about right); just before the Open House. Pima dragged some of their museum aircraft (F-107, B-18, MiG-21 etc) across too.

6 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Thanks Duncan, that explains it.

Did anyone mention the what I think are two Skyhawks at the extreme top? 

I think it's two A-4s and an A-7 but the photo is a bit fuzzy there. A busy scene which we wouldn't see anywhere nowadays I suspect.

49 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

late April 97? (I'm guessing but I think that's about right); just before the Open House. Pima dragged some of their museum aircraft (F-107, B-18, MiG-21 etc) across too.

Ah ha! I managed to get there in May 1979 with Geoff Rhodes.

M

• Like 1

Love these Sabrejet!

Did quite well in my day at Air Cadets and not been tested for a good few years!

Cant say more to what has been identified before other than possibly what i think is the Cessna 172 and 206/210. Wondering if the aircraft in the hangar a Skywarrior?

Arabest,

Geoff.

• Like 1