Blind Landing Experimental Unit - Loss of Canberra T.4 WE189

plasticmasher

Hi all....

Another project research question. 

Has anybody info on this aircraft which was lost along with its 2 crew after an engine failure on go-around at Martlesham Heath in Sept 1956?

It fell into a small paddock between buildings and the Felixstowe Road at Crown Point just outside the airfield.

There is a local newspaper front page which shows the tail amid the wreckage, possibly overall aluminum finish, with a grey l/e panel that seems to be often seen.

My thoughts are it could be overall Aluminium or Grey, with Trainer Yellow bands or Dayglo panels...Not sure what the delivery scheme would be? 

A later BLEU Canberra is pictured with a white top and red (?) cheatline, along with titles behind the canopy, but the newspaper photo would lead me to think WE 189 was not painted that way.

2019-03-07_10-58-57

2019-03-07_10-58-01

All input gladly received, hours of searching so far fruitless!

Cheers, Ed

Edited by plasticmasher
Added photo

There are two accident reports held by The National Archives:

Canberra T4, WE189: near Martlesham Heath, Suff., 28 Sept. 1956. Reference:    BT 233/357

Type: Canberra (WE-189). Location: Martlesham. Report No: S2838 Reference:    AVIA 5/35/S2838

Probably the same report but in my experience they usually contain photos which may be of help.

• Thanks 1

Will you be going to the MHAS meeting tomorrow night? There may be someone with more info. If you can't make it, I'll ask around for you. My former Mother in law flew in Lancaster NN801 of the BLEU during 1947/8 taking measurements and photographs in the nose blister on approaches to RAF Woodbridge. She had married and left before the Canberra went in. 

Interesting that various sources claim the first autoland was demonstrated in a Dove. In fact the first autoland was completed in a Meteor NF11*. I know the technician who installed the equipment. The Sqn Leader pilot who took it up put him in the back seat for the flight. He's still alive to tell the tale.

* choice of 3, I'd love to know which one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sabrejet - thank you, I had found that National Archives ref and have other stuff that a Kew visit would be worth making when I can....I have a reader's card now so know the ropes. There may well be extra photos, although a long shot to work out the scheme from what was left of the unfortunate incident.

Bentwaters81tfw - although home is Needham Market I'm away working in the Middle East at the moment, but MHAS is on my list when I come back - I've never been to the tower although lived in Suffolk since 96....I have a great old book about MH on the shelf at home and that might yield something also.

Fascinating connection you have - also comes to mind that a Meteor on a multiple go-arounds testing blind approach system would also have  similar handling difficulties if one engine list power at the critical flight phase. Both types could bite, but approach to risk was very different back then.

Thank you both for taking the time and interest to reply.

• Like 2