AV-8A (Matchbox 1/72)

Hello modellers,
Parallel to the Crusader build, I started to refurbish three of my older Harriers - one Matchbox AV-8A and two Revell Sea Harriers. The American AV-8A is already completed. Have disassembled the model, sanded down the old brush applied paint and added some details. The broken undercarriage was fixed with brass rod, the spoiled canopy sanded and polished and a scratchbuilt airbrake added. Except for the national insignia and a few stencils, all decals were home printed. To equip the model with a more realistic ordnance load, I used two rocket pods from the Hasegawa weapons sets, modified with small needles as rockets. The tanks are from one of the Sea Harriers which will be equipped with BL755  later.
Thanks for watching
                                      Mario

3CQCJze.jpgkGySGu0.jpgUMNRQ1W.jpgWRIldH9.jpg

Edited by Mario
  • Like 25

The best representation of a Matchbox USMC Harrier I've seen.  Bravo.  Especially like the different tones of OD/green on the tail.  Modelers sometimes miss this.  Topflight tarmac as well.  

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the positive feedback. Very much appreciated!

2 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

The best representation of a Matchbox USMC Harrier I've seen.  Bravo.  Especially like the different tones of OD/green on the tail.  Modelers sometimes miss this.  Topflight tarmac as well.  

Thanks for the kudos. Have been very lucky as I found very good references regarding this particular aircraft.

19 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Loved this kit as a kid - its something about the green and grey on a harrier. Only thing prettier is arctic camo. My dad was livid, he was RM so didn't have much time for USMC.

Great rebuild!

Indeed this kit has been very pocket money friendly. Still remember when I bought it...

The old Airfix GR3 Harrier had the arctic camo option. Have it in the stash together with their new moulds release. BTW: RM means Royal Marines?