Gorby's Leap into the Dark Unknown - Scratch-Building Extravaganza (no refunds) – NOW WITH ADDED SLEEPERSERVICE!

Gorby

Nice work.   I had to read "farthing" a couple of times as I kept missing the 'h'

we should combine your patented "Bolt Cutter Thingy" with my "Patented-Spring-Maker-Device".   We'll capture the market and rule the modeling world with an iron fist

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, hendie said:

Nice work. 

Thanks very much Hendie.

How on earth have I managed to miss your Pullman Carriage build? I know what I'm going to be reading later.

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent work Gorby, £89.47 is a bit steep for me so i think i will have to pass. 😉 Keep up the work its fun to follow and learn. 

Thanks Dennis. My Bolt Cutter Thingy (pat pending, trademark, copyright – accept no alternatives) will be at least four times the price in the States, and that's just the one time only, trial offer.

I'm learning as I go as well. It's relatively straight forward if you think about it logically, break it down into easily copied shapes and give up all hope of every doing anything useful with your life.

• Haha 2

Changed my mind, I'm building a sailing dingy now.

P1140119.JPG

Now on to the easy bit.

Easy bit!? This things got more angles than Kryten's genitals (it's probably not advisable to Google that).

I had got ideas about being terribly, terribly, terribly clever and do scale thickness armour, what I didn't realise how ludicrously thin the armour was on this thing:

Front of the hull – 30mm (scale thickness = 0.6mm)

Rear & sides – 15mm (scale thickness = 0.3mm)

Top – 6mm (scale thickness = 0.125mm)

That would be like building it mostly out of paper. I've used 0.8mm throughout.

I don't do impulsive. In the past when I have been spontaneous, it was only after weeks of careful consideration and planning. Completely out of character I was overwhelmed with the urge to fit the side pieces, “But they aren't ready”, my sensible side screamed – but I went ahead and did it anyway. That's what scratch-building does to you. It turns you into a wild, impetuous fool, laughing at danger, throwing caution to the wind. I'm a rebel now. If that's not too much trouble, hope you don't mind.

P1140123.JPG

The grey bits are lumps of lead. I don't like model tanks to be as light as a feather.

The front and back ends are made up of very weird shapes. It didn't help that two views on the plan I printed were contradictory, one view showed this measurement as 4.5mm and another showed it as 9mm – a huge amount at this scale.

P1140137.JPG

This is my solution:

P1140124.JPG

The lower point is fixed as I was pretty sure that was correct. The upper point was movable. Obviously if one point and one side is fixed, and if the panel was flat, it would show where the mystery point was – it was 9mm. I still wasn't completely confident so rather than waste plastic, I used the card that comes with Eduard PE. I don't throw it away as it's good quality and is perfect for stuff like this.

P1140121.JPG

It took me a complete afternoon to figure this all out to the point of cutting the final plastic. There are times when I wonder if I could be doing something useful with my life.

P1140126.JPG

Next up, the bangy bits. :mg: 

• Like 10

That was a really enjoyable read and made me laugh. It’s nice to know that even people who aren’t allowed out in public unsupervised can find ways to occupy their time. I am surprised that you seem to have unfettered access to sharp knives though.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, SandyBay said:

I am surprised that you seem to have unfettered access to sharp knives though.

SHHHHH !!! Its not nice to remind the patients they're actually patients. We like to think of them as extended stay residents, that need a little modeling therapy from time to time. 😉

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 5

On 3/16/2019 at 5:14 PM, Gorby said:

Changed my mind, I'm building a sailing dingy now.

Now on to the easy bit.

Easy bit!?

The front and back ends are made up of very weird shapes. It didn't help that two views on the plan I printed were contradictory, one view showed this measurement as 4.5mm and another showed it as 9mm – a huge amount at this scale.

This is my solution:

x4L7d9PAMRem9lIL8L8AcE81pO1pAnEcEMjgpdWZ

The lower point is fixed as I was pretty sure that was correct. The upper point was movable. Obviously if one point and one side is fixed, and if the panel was flat, it would show where the mystery point was – it was 9mm. I still wasn't completely confident so rather than waste plastic, I used the card that comes with Eduard PE. I don't throw it away as it's good quality and is perfect for stuff like this.

It took me a complete afternoon to figure this all out to the point of cutting the final plastic. There are times when I wonder if I could be doing something useful with my life.

To show that I haven't lured you somewhere I don't go here's my current bench resident. It's the Alkett and Friends VsKfz 617 Minenraumer see HERE.

One vehicle was ordered as part of German anti-mine warfare research. Nowadays it would be seen as a proof of concept vehicle. There was much about it that was obviously ill-conceived not least the large gaps between the cleared lanes. It was underpowered and under armed. However reports of a 'Production Version' with a Panzer II turret are World of Tanks fantasy. After being built late 1941/early 1942 it was trialled, then eventually ended up in Russia where it was seen as the folly it was and consigned to the 'Do Not be Inspired by These' part of the collection at Kubinka.

There are many stories about how it got there but I believe the simplest is probably correct. After the trials were complete in 1942 the vehicle was returned to Alkett's Berlin factory where, in all probability, it was parked up and forgotten. Even with the Red Army on the outskirts of the city it was left there rather than being pressed into service. Once Berlin had been taken the Factory was to be in the French Zone and the Russians stripped everything they could and took it to their Zone, no doubt this went along. It was listed in an Autumn 1946 Russian report and was tested in Germany before being examined again at Kubinka in mid-1947. It appears to have been mobile in 1946 as photos exist of it running in snowy conditions.

tumblr_pokgng9wkz1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

Your solution to plans 'begging to differ' is rather better than mine. Note the two triangular bits on the nose. Got there in the end though. 

See how much involvement you're getting and all the extra value you're gaining? Mere assemblers of kits don't know what they're missing. 

Nice work so far and super fast too. I wish you further good fortune in your masterpiece of Teuton madness as I work on similar from Round 2 of The Great Unpleasantness. 

Be aware that this is quite addictive. I've just ordered some 3D printed wheels to make a flock of AEC Armoured Cars. Then there's the Australian Sentinel series......

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

See how much involvement you're getting and all the extra value you're gaining? Mere assemblers of kits don't know what they're missing. 

That looks very interesting, is it that mine stomping monster?

My build rate is normally much slower than this, but I'm finding it addictive to the point that I'm wondering what I'm going to do with my mini stash. Almost every day it's giving me a mental work-out that no kit does.

Thanks for suggesting this – I'm enjoying it immensely.

• Like 1

It's coming along very nicely and your problem solving/alternative thinking is impressive.

Anything that keeps the mind ticking over is a GOOD THING.

I currently have two scratchbuilds wobbling around in my brain, mostly while I'm out driving the van.

I might just pull up a trench and watch this one for a while though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gorby said:

That looks very interesting, is it that mine stomping monster?

Thanks for suggesting this – I'm enjoying it immensely. 

It certainly is. Meant to put that in my post but obviously didn't.

I'm glad you are. Looking at your other posts it seemed like you might be up for it, there are many I wouldn't suggest it too, we are an exclusive group. 

As regards the Mini Stash. Look upon it as a pile of useful components. There is a downside;

A few years back me and the now Ex-Girlie were in Yorkshire and went to the Huddersfield show (in the Sports Centre with next to no parking). I brought a part started incomplete 1/48 Sherman kit.

'Why have you got that?'

Well, I can use the wheels and bogies to make a M3 Lee tank. The front end of the hull will make another model of Sherman using a kit at home, the bits that are missing are irrelevant and it's been glued with tube cement which makes it easy to take apart.

'So now you're buying kits just to use some of the bits.' Cue withering stare, 'It's OK it's your money.' Then whining about how she was fed up and wanted to go to Meadow Hall on the way home On a Sunday! After a brief discussion we compromised and went to the hell that is a shopping experience on a Sunday. 

While there she brought a pair of shoes that she'd die without. £200+ !!!!! It was a few weeks before I realised they weren't the right size for her. A friend pointed me at a swop site where people exchanged them owing to distribution being patchy. I got them swoped for an identical pair in the right size which she wore twice.

If this happens you have been warned and I accept no liability. It all ends well though. We split up, she moved to the other side of the planet, I speak to her from her Mum's on skype and we get on really well again. I have a flat and a cat that lets me buy what I want as long as there's cat food available.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Anything that keeps the mind ticking over is a GOOD THING.

I currently have two scratchbuilds wobbling around in my brain, mostly while I'm out driving the van.

My thoughts exactly Pete. Like Gorby (and I) you're coming at it from the right way. Rather than I want to scratch-build something what shall I do? It's much better to have a subject in mind that you really want to build and decide to do it yourself. If they're wobbling around you need to secure your load My Good Man. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the unlikely event of this contraption ever survived long enough to cause any damage, it was armed to the teeth – six machine guns and a big bangy bit at the front. The armour was so feeble a well aimed cough could take out the whole tank and as it's cross county speed was 3mph, the crew ran the risk of dying of old age before they reached the front.

It brings to mind those laughable 'B' movie horror films of the fifties like 'The Blob'. Where the screaming woman stands stock still while the monster charges at her like an ageing, arthritic tortoise on Valium. Admittedly the Blob would probably have been significantly more threatening if was even more heavily armed than the average American.

I've noticed that many of you armour-plated lot often use metal after-market guns, but that obviously wasn't an option here. But who needs after-market when you have sprue? This is what I need to reproduce:

1920px-Imperial_War_Museum_North_-_A7V_t

The canon tapers from 4mm to 3mm – easy in theory, but how do I do it as perfectly as it needs to be? After cleaning up some 4mm sprue (not easy to find – most of the sprue I had was a smaller diameter) I glued a 3mm disk to the end, as close to the centre as possible.

P1130956.JPG

The first attempt I filed from the side, but that didn't produce an even taper. The second, and final attempt, I only filed lengthways along the barrel.

After removing the disk on the end, I had to find the centre and as I'd got fed-up with just guessing, I finally made myself a centre finder. I've been meaning to do one for ages, but when I saw a very simple design on Hendie's Pullman Carriage build, it motivated me to take immediate action. Obviously I need a lie down after wards, all this action stuff really takes it out of you.

Back view:

P1140140.JPG

Front - action shot:

P1140152.JPG

The canon housing/turret are a reincarnated bomb and drop-tank.

P1140139.JPG

The machine guns where much easier – just 3mm rod, with a tiny bit of 1mm brass tube and the slightly wider bit at the end of the barrel is 1mm wide masking tape. I know I'll probably be accused of bringing pestilence and all manner of plagues to the world by using masking tape on a finished part, but I've done it many times before and once it's painted, you wouldn't know it was tape.

The back end I rounded off so that I can just push them into the ports at the end of the build. There's also a lumpy bit under the end of the barrel which is 1mm plastic rod cut to 0.5mm thick and then cut in half. I only needed three disks but ended up cutting about a dozen due to my lack of any type of magnification device, and eyes that are really not pulling their weight these days. 🧐

P1140154.JPG

The machine gun ports were….......:sleep_1:.......... you get the general idea, I would hate to make you lose consciousness.

P1140156.JPG

Thanks for sticking with me so far, and for all the 'likes' and comments

Tune in next time for the next thrilling instalment.

• Like 9

Most excellent - Not sure if this helps but the Maxim's have a conical flash hider on them - I managed to lose three of them on my Meng build....

IanJ

Thanks @Rogue705, John and Ian.

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I especially like the Vickers MG. Masking tape works very well once paint goes on.

I did try using 0.25 thick strip of plastic first but it looked grossly over scale, the masking tape was much easier to apply as well. I believe that the guns were water cooled, so fortunately the rest of the barrel is featureless. :smile:

4 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

the Maxim's have a conical flash hider on them - I managed to lose three of them on my Meng build.

That's a coincidence, they all got lost on this build. :wink: I did wonder how I could do a tiny hollow cone, but decided that madness that way lies and I could live without them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3