Huey Argentinian owned British captured Inf. required

LaurieS

At the end of the Falklands conflict an Argentinian Fuey was captured & used in the Falklands before making for the UK.

I am building the Huey as taken over & adornded with a UK & numerals painted on the fuselage.

The info I am after. Any first hand experience. Were all the Argentinian markings on the craft removed. Was it repainted or

just modified.

Any other info. that any one know of. from pictures it appears it was used as a Red Cross helicopter by the Argentinians.

I have pictures obtained from a search in it's English livery ???. But if you have or know of any they will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Laurie

The British flew 3 Hueys in the Falklands - AE-409, AE413 and AE-422. The first two were painted in white by the Argentines as casualty evacuation. They retained the unit badge on the front doors, and the Argentine flag on the tail, although that was painted over by the British. 422 retained her Olive scheme.

The only mods for British use were the painting out of the Argentine flags, and the 'UK' painted on AE-413 at least

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

Here's AE-422 at Yeovilton in 1982:

yeo82-08

And here's AE-406 at Fleetlands in 1983.

FL83-15

For your entertainment, here's the Argentine Navy Puma AE-12 at Portsmouth Navy Days, 1982:

NavyDays82-02

and at Fleetlands, 1983:

FL83-14

And lastly, Argentine Army Chinook AE-520 at Portsmouth Navy Days 1982:

NavyDays82-03

and Fleetlands 1983 - spot the difference......

FL83-11

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 3

Hi, Laurie. 

I would take an educated guess that one of the three Hueys is now on display in the Army Aviation Museum in Middle Wallop, UK.  It's been more than ten years since I visited the museum, so my memory's a bit hazy. 

Hope this is of some help, sir. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

We had an Argentinian Chinook at Odiham sometime in the early 80's. It arrived on a low loader trailer.

I remember seeing a Huey at a later date in the OCU hangar. It was a light colour and being rebuilt to fly.

A previously redundant braincell says it became G-HUEY. So that was AE-413.

There was also at least one ex Argentinian Mercedes 4WD at Odiham.

Hope this helps in some way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

The British flew 3 Hueys in the Falklands - AE-409, AE413 and AE-422. The first two were painted in white by the Argentines as casualty evacuation. They retained the unit badge on the front doors, and the Argentine flag on the tail, although that was painted over by the British. 422 retained her Olive scheme.

The only mods for British use were the painting out of the Argentine flags, and the 'UK' painted on AE-413 at least

Thanks Dave. Have you ever thought of making a brilliant military museum curator.

Your knowledge is endless. 

Cheers.

Laurie

9 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Here's AE-422 at Yeovilton in 1982:

And here's AE-406 at Fleetlands in 1983.

Thanks Paul great pictures. The Huey ones will make great info types.

Edited by LaurieS

9 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Laurie. 

I would take an educated guess that one of the three Hueys is now on display in the Army Aviation Museum in Middle Wallop, UK.  It's been more than ten years since I visited the museum, so my memory's a bit hazy. 

Hope this is of some help, sir. 

Chris. 

Thanks Chris.  Actually I visited the museum about 3 years ago when on holiday from Jersey.

Also of interest my wife wanted to revisit the place where she was evacuated to during the war.

We even found the house. Found the museum on the way back. Great museum.

Laurie

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

We had an Argentinian Chinook at Odiham sometime in the early 80's. It arrived on a low loader trailer.

I remember seeing a Huey at a later date in the OCU hangar. It was a light colour and being rebuilt to fly.

A previously redundant braincell says it became G-HUEY. So that was AE-413.

There was also at least one ex Argentinian Mercedes 4WD at Odiham.

Hope this helps in some way.

Thanks Pete in Lincs. Yes that is the one G-Huey. Also had another , confusing, number I have found on a photo. 656

This was a picture taken in the Falklands in the snow.  It had the Argentinian marking blacked out.

Laurie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luis pacheco said:

53344669_827820614239475_409765145183518

That is great info Luis. Thanks very much. I think I have located the decals.

The Huey is part of a Falklands Diorama. Approx 15 pieces including Landrovers & the Scimitar.

I had thought of displaying it in the hastily overpainted British markings. Now thinking, after looking

at you info, that I will display as in British hands but before the painting job. As per the info you have

kindly provided.

Thanks

Laurie

• Like 1

Thanks again Luis.

Think I am going to have a great problem in getting Huey Argentinian decals.

I will have to look at scavenging from my left over library of decals to see if I can piece to gether.

RedCross items are not a problem as i can mask those up & airbrush.

Laurie

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Laurie,

There was an Argentinian option on the Airfix Skyhawk.

Pete

Thanks Peter. Just found a Malvinas decal sheet which hurrah, has the Huey on it so all's well.

Laurie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaurieS said:

Thanks again Luis.

Think I am going to have a great problem in getting Huey Argentinian decals.

I will have to look at scavenging from my left over library of decals to see if I can piece to gether.

RedCross items are not a problem as i can mask those up & airbrush.

Laurie

For the decal sheet above:

http://www.condordecals.com.ar/condordecals/cp_producto_detalles.php?rubroID=11&subrubroID=10&prod=128

I've bought decals from them - good decals, usually well researched. Seamless transaction :)

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Moggy said:

For the decal sheet above:

http://www.condordecals.com.ar/condordecals/cp_producto_detalles.php?rubroID=11&subrubroID=10&prod=128

I've bought decals from them - good decals, usually well researched. Seamless transaction :)

Cheers, Moggy

Yes I did locate those Moggy. However as they were about £15 then another £15 delivery I looked around again.

I found a Malvinas set which all in has cost £12.

Thanks for your info . Much appreciated.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Julien said:

Anyone know what happened in the end to the Chinook and Puma?

I think that the back end of one Chinook acted for a replacement for one that landed rather rotors first when in Oman. I think that it was ZA704 (EJ) which had just come off of its major servicing, but not sure because we had 2 Chinooks on that exercise the other being EV but I cannot remember its Serial No at the moment.

• Like 2

regarding the Super Puma - it belonged to the Argentinian Coast Guard (then under partial jurisdiction of the Navy).

It was commandeered by the Army to serve as personal transport for Gen. Menendez. Total waste of resources :)

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 2

Huey AE-409 is still at Middle Wallop and will be viewable again when the museum reopens in April. It’s changed it’s location in the museum and now sits with the ex Argentinian A109 (ZE410) suspended alongside.

The white paint was just household emulsion paint roughly applied and used again by the Army Air Corps to paint over the Argentina markings. The only AAC markings were the squadron number (656) painted in white on the black tail boom stripe.

• Like 1