Tamiya 1:48: Saburo Sakai's A6M2 Type 21 V-103

A model that should be replaced by a new tool soon by Tamiya, their A6M2 Type 21 in 1:48, because the top left wing was short shot and had to be filled.

Brushpainted with Revell acrylics in RLM 02.

I used the kit decals and sunk them in hot water so they would conform into the panel lines. The blue tailbands were painted.

LJOicop.jpg

XX0Q3cO.jpg

6urIvUg.jpg

35h5Vd4.jpg

XX0Q3cO.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 12

Superb rendition of the Zero's colour! I didn't know that RLM Grey matches Ameiro so well. What light did you use for the picture - does it show the true colour?

I built this model in 1976. Long cast away since it didn't meet my ambitions anymore, but I remember the trouble I had with fitting the canopy...

4 hours ago, Toryu said:

Superb rendition of the Zero's colour! I didn't know that RLM Grey matches Ameiro so well. What light did you use for the picture - does it show the true colour?

To be honest, I don't know if RLM 02 is an exact match, I just read somewhere on the forum that "RLM 02 will get you on the ballpark for a Pearl Harbour Zero." Another membet kindly pointed me towards FS 16350, which looks similar to RLM 02, so I went for that.

I used sunlight streaming through my window early in the afternoon (14:00).

I didn't have issues with the canopy, but the left upper wing was short shot, something unexpected given it's a Tamiya kit.