HMS Trafalgar Battle Class

On 7/10/2019 at 6:38 AM, Martian Hale said:

I enjoyed catching up on this build Beefy, its coming along nicely.

Martian 👽

Cheers Martian

Well small update you would think that for the price you pay for the shapeway stuff you would get the whole kit and caboodle the turret base is hollow so I had to use some plastic card and make the discs to sit inside and another smaller one to give the base some clearance from the deck.

spacer.png

But with a bit of primer on you can see why I went for them with all the surface details.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also got the rest of the hull painted and added the funnel and midship area platforms

spacer.png

The MTB stand comes in very hand good solid weight to it to keep things in place

beefy

• Like 13

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 06:22, beefy66 said:

When I add the base to the turret and prime it the details should show much better 

Yup, totally see now why you went the Shapeways route

• Thanks 1

Small update raised walkways added and painted also secured the torpedo launchers and funnel and dry fit for mast.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 10

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

torpedo launchers

Looking great but something looks a little odd here Beefy, the forward torpedo launcher has no clearance to rotate, maybe the aft one too? Are the tubes to long? Launcher pivot point to far forward? Are the structures correct size? Just thought I'd mention it...

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Courageous said:

something looks a little odd here Beefy, the forward torpedo launcher has no clearance to rotate, maybe the aft one too?

I can see what Stuart means Beefy, although looking at pictures it is quite tight. There are a couple of good pictures in Norman Freeman's "British Destroyers & Frigates, the Second World War and After" which I know Stuart has (bottom of pages 111 and 112) which to my eye show a slight indent to the deck houses at the forward pointing end of the tubes. Maybe they were very tight and the indent/overhang above helped? Difficult to describe without see the pictures, sorry!

BTW, anyone into the subject, the book I quoted above is an excellent reference source for all things frigates and destroyers post war although first published 2006, so Type 23's appear as latest class with Type 45 "in the future". Still an excellent buy IMHO.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looking great but something looks a little odd here Beefy, the forward torpedo launcher has no clearance to rotate, maybe the aft one too? Are the tubes to long? Launcher pivot point to far forward? Are the structures correct size? Just thought I'd mention it...

Stuart

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I can see what Stuart means Beefy, although looking at pictures it is quite tight.

Stuart @Courageous and Terry @Terry1954 you are both quite right nothing wrong with you eyes

the structures on the base kit are low but I did not realise this until after the launchers where glued so no going back now

had enough of that carry on with the MTB :rage:

But as you can see from the photo below it is as they say as tight as a duck's backside under water for the clearence between the top of the control cover and walkways

Hey Hoo you live and learn for the next time  :doh:

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 4

Right you lot like to cause me some greaf  :doh:

Looking at some reference I have an idea the centre platform should be taller?

spacer.png

So took the platform top off and raised it with some 2mm thick scrap plastic and re built

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Will have to add a couple of bits of railings as the angle means it is a bit short on one side  :hmmm:

beefy

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Looking at some reference I have an idea the centre platform should be taller?

It makes sense to be taller so that the blast shield on the launchers will clear the gantries.

As a matter of interest Beefy, what's the length of you torpedo tubes, are they anywhere near that stated here?

Stuart

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

t makes sense to be taller so that the blast shield on the launchers will clear the gantries.

As a matter of interest Beefy, what's the length of you torpedo tubes, are they anywhere near that stated here?

Hi Stuart the tubes are the 21 inch quadruple type these ships were built very late on near the end of WW2 and Trafalgar was built on the Tyne at Swan Hunters so another of the local builds for me.

beefy

• Like 2

I think Stuart was questioning the actual length of the tubes you have compared to the dimensions shown in that link. You could scale them down and check. It could be they are too long? If I read the data correctly in the link the overall tube length's are 26' 11" (less a bit). So 323 inches which scales down to 0.92 of an inch in 1/350 if my sums are right. Mind you given that the kit is 1/325 (I think), then 1/350 scale tubes should come out a tad on the small side.

Also you state quadruple tubes on your model, but there are five tubes??

Terry (once a nerd always a nerd!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gidday All, does anyone know if there was any difference in dimensions (length) between British and American torpedoes/tubes? I thought that link referred to American tubes. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Well addressed (regardless of length of tubes ) and it does look better

Have to agree with Rob Beefy, it's looking great regardless of any tube issues.

I think I had this model years back (early 60's), although I can't actually remember making it! Also in more recent years I had a 1/700 resin version by HP models. A superb kit which I accidentally gave to my daughter in a batch of old kits for her to ebay. Imagine my horror when I found she got nearly £90 for it!

Terry

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Courageous said:

I wasn't aware that a 'Battle' in 1/700 existed!

Stuart

HP models made one a while back. I think I picked mine up on ebay for about £20 (then). Looks like you could pick one up from New Zealand here:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-models/models/ships-boats/listing-2232639759.htm

There is a whole thread on it here as well, mentions the HP Models Battle. The first picture that comes up is confusing as it's HMAS Anzac which was fitted with the newer 4.5-inch Mark VI turret.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4764&start=30

I seem to recall it was a very neat little model.

Terry

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 10:35 PM, beefy66 said:

Hi Stuart the tubes are the 21 inch quadruple type these ships were built very late on near the end of WW2 and Trafalgar was built on the Tyne at Swan Hunters so another of the local builds for me.

beefy

On 7/18/2019 at 11:17 AM, Terry1954 said:

I think Stuart was questioning the actual length of the tubes you have compared to the dimensions shown in that link. You could scale them down and check. It could be they are too long? If I read the data correctly in the link the overall tube length's are 26' 11" (less a bit). So 323 inches which scales down to 0.92 of an inch in 1/350 if my sums are right. Mind you given that the kit is 1/325 (I think), then 1/350 scale tubes should come out a tad on the small side.

Also you state quadruple tubes on your model, but there are five tubes??

Terry (once a nerd always a nerd!)

On 7/17/2019 at 9:58 PM, Courageous said:

Sorry gent's my misunderstanding regarding length of launchers I really should pay attention  :doh:

@Terry1954 you are quite right 5 tubes but in the osprey destroyer book I have it gives details as Quadruple  :hmmm: but all other photos and the link @davepb posted early on in the thread shows 5 tubes

spacer.png

Regarding the length the kit part shows at just under 24mm and he shapeway is just on 24mm so by my reckoning for 1/325 this should be correct ish  :phew:

spacer.png

spacer.png

That is it for the technical stuff my head hurts now  :rage:

On 7/18/2019 at 11:08 PM, robgizlu said:

Beefy - Well addressed (regardless of length of tubes ) and it does look better

Rob

On 7/19/2019 at 4:34 AM, Ripaman said:

looking good and lots of like Beefy :like:

Regards

Richard

Rob / Richard thanks for the likes and encouragement again

Now back to the model added some of the railings around the mast base and the upper forward deck and the bridge windshield

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 5

HMS Trafalgar was one of the 1942 class of Battles, and as such was fitted with quaduple torpedo tubes. HMS Matapan, that I'm building, was one of the 1943 class, and was fitted with pentad torpedo tubes, as was Alamein, shown in my earlier link. Information gleaned from "British Destroyers" by Edgar J. Marsh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davepb said:

HMS Trafalgar was one of the 1942 class of Battles, and as such was fitted with quaduple torpedo tubes. HMS Matapan, that I'm building, was one of the 1943 class, and was fitted with pentad torpedo tubes, as was Alamein, shown in my earlier link. Information gleaned from "British Destroyers" by Edgar J. Marsh.

@davepb Thanks for clearing that up so looks like i have fitted the wrong type of launchers  :doh:

Which means this will not be a totally accurate build well it will give me some practice with the PE anyway  :rage:

beefy

• Like 1

I was not quite happy with the anchor capstans so got some plastic rod in my Dremel like spinny thing and shaped it with a needle file

and they came out OK an improvement on the kit lump of plastic that just looked far to big

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

and fitted the PE breakwater I should have just left the plastic molded one on but Hey Ho nothing else seems to be going right with this so far  :whistle:

beefy

• Like 8