HMS Trafalgar Battle Class

Well making headway with a couple of builds so decided to start on this oldie goldie and will be adding the Atlantic Models PE set something about these type of WW2 destroyers that just makes me want to build them Oh and MTB,s as well

IMG-5907.jpg

You can see from the price tag how old this kit is £1.99 I wish they where that price now.

Got this kit given to me by a good friend a few year ago the hull molding is way to deep for the platting and nearly non existent for the raised parts oh well here goes

IMG-5908.jpg

IMG-5909.jpg

IMG-5903.jpg

Port holes starting to be drilled out before the plating is toned down

IMG-5904.jpg

And the very full PE sheet from Peter hall

IMG-5910.jpg

and you can see the difference of the hull sides so far

IMG-5911.jpg

no illusion I have two kits and PE to do another version later told you I liked these type of ships  :whistle:

beefy

• Like 14

Gidday Beefy, Like John above I'll be following this with interest also. Besides simply liking the ship I plan (in the distant future) to convert an Airfix 1/600 Daring into a Battle class. No doubt your build will be an inspiration to me and a fountain of detail and information. I guess that sounds better than "I'm going to plagiarize your build". Please take this as a compliment. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Watching with interest. I did the same a few years back when Peter's set was first released. It really does add a lot to the kit, but I also found I needed to do quite a bit of scratchbuilding and stealing of parts from the Trumpeter 1/350 Tribal Class kit. Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looks interesting :popcorn:

Stuart

I hope so 

7 hours ago, JohnWS said:

One of my favourite destroyer designs.

I'll be watching this one with interest.

John

Yes they have a look of the Tribal class sleek and a thing of beauty 

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Beefy, Like John above I'll be following this with interest also. Besides simply liking the ship I plan (in the distant future) to convert an Airfix 1/600 Daring into a Battle class. No doubt your build will be an inspiration to me and a fountain of detail and information. I guess that sounds better than "I'm going to plagiarize your build". Please take this as a compliment. Regards, Jeff.

Plagiarize as much as you want Jeff 

3 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Watching with interest. I did the same a few years back when Peter's set was first released. It really does add a lot to the kit, but I also found I needed to do quite a bit of scratchbuilding and stealing of parts from the Trumpeter 1/350 Tribal Class kit. Have fun!

I think your right Paul I was looking at using some of the spare stuff I have from my previous Tribal builds not much difference in scale to notice I think as I have already said it is an older kit and the details are not great but having used the Atlantic PE sets before I know how much Peter puts into these sets 

welcome aboard gentlemen hope the ride is not to bumpy for you 

beefy 

• Like 1

This will be good! :popcorn:

My Dad made me one of these when I was a nipper. Think I used to play with it in the bath?

Wonder what happened to it?

Geoff 

• Thanks 1

Going to follow this, built this way back (1981) and I have another which I have water lined and cut all the superstructure off it. got the Atlantic models etch etc  just need to stop building planes and get on with it!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, invidia said:

.............. just need to stop building planes and get on with it!!

They do say that a break (from aircraft) is as good as a rest!

Mike

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Beefy - you are making me want to try a 1/350 vessel!!

Looks good - 

Rob

Well plenty for you to choose from just look at these for comparison  :whistle:

Looking at the bridge it will need some re-shaping to much of an angle compared to Scorpion and kelly they both show a much more vertical face to the bridge as do the Atlantic instructions

So will have to try my hand at a bit of re-construction of the bridge

IMG-5912.jpg

IMG-5914.jpg

IMG-5916.jpg

IMG-5917.jpg

beefy

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Be aware that the breakwater on the Atlantic Models is incorrect. This link to the builders model of HMS Alamein gives loads of useful info:

Vhttps://stefsap.wordpress.com/2015/11/11/hms-alamein-dd-builders-model/

Corrected gun turrets and torpedo tubes can be obtained from https://www.shapeways.com/shops/micro-master.

Well worth looking at his site, he is soon producing the single 4.5"  for the later '43 build Battles, and all of his stuff can be obtained at the correct scale!

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, davepb said:

Be aware that the breakwater on the Atlantic Models is incorrect. This link to the builders model of HMS Alamein gives loads of useful info:

Vhttps://stefsap.wordpress.com/2015/11/11/hms-alamein-dd-builders-model/

Corrected gun turrets and torpedo tubes can be obtained from https://www.shapeways.com/shops/micro-master.

Well worth looking at his site, he is soon producing the single 4.5"  for the later '43 build Battles, and all of his stuff can be obtained at the correct scale!

Dave

Thanks for the links these should be very helpful Dave

And s luck has it I live not to far away from the Discovery Museum time for a visit armed with my camera I think to get more reference  :book:

beefy

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 02:22, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Having done that very conversion about 12 years ago when I first returned to modelling (having done it originally in the 70s based on an article in the old Airfix Magazine), I think I'm right in saying its easier if you can start with a COSSACK hull rather than DARING.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Well been a while but can get back to this one now started with the hull plating sanded down to not look as prominent and then added a few bits to the funnel and started on the lattice mast.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 12

Well the long ongoing build is now done and I can get cracking with this and a couple of others sitting on the shelf

Primed and then painted lower hull antifouling red also added a strip of masking tape to give the noticeable hull side lines and started fitting some ladders and doors from the Atlantic Models PE set

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also cut out the moulded raised walkways ready to add the new ones

spacer.png

spacer.png

And I have just received these replacement parts for the forward guns and torpedo launchers from Shapeways

Will also be replacing the launches with a couple of Atlantic Models 1/350 you can see that there is not that much size difference

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 8

Small update a bit of reshaping work done on the bridge to get rid of the slope at the front

spacer.png

Strip of plastic and fill then sanded to the near enough correct shape

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 8

Small update base colours on lower hull and boot line all masked off the deck green will be toned down with a bit of dry brushing and oil wash

spacer.png

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 11

Small update lattice mast all built up and the shapeways stuff has been washed scrubbed and dried and a comparison on the ship with the kit parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

You can see the PE breakwater but as Dave said in a previous post this seems to be the wrong shape as all the photos of the battles I can find all show a more pointed shape need to look further  :book:

spacer.png

Funnel also painted and dry fit

beefy

• Like 7

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

spacer.png

I suspect it's simply the lighting not doing it justice but the kit turret looks to have a more accurate shape than the Shapeways (notwithstanding the barrel thickness)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

That PE lattice mast looks really great.

Stuart

Cheers Stuart 

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I suspect it's simply the lighting not doing it justice but the kit turret looks to have a more accurate shape than the Shapeways (notwithstanding the barrel thickness)

You are correct sir the photos are taken with the use of my magnifying lamp and the Shapeways stuff always looks white after the cleaning process and drying out on a sunny windowsill the kit details are quite flat compared to the Shapeways 

When I add the base to the turret and prime it the details should show much better 

beefy 

• Like 1