F-8E Crusader "Death Angels" (Esci 1/72)

Hello modellers,
have recently completed this 1/72 Esci F-8E Crusader. I made the very same model more than 25 years ago for the first time and wanted to do better with this one. It depicts a Marines Crusader of VMF 235 "Death Angels" from Da Nang.
Building the model in the take-off configuration made a lot of wing surgery necessary, but this wasn´t the main issue. Greatest challenge were the stars on the tail fins, as for some reason, Esci has provided only one single star for that area on their decal sheet.

I had to scan the sheet and select the stars of the proper size and paint the areas between them matching to the color of the other decals. Shortly after finishing the model, I found a Microscale decal sheet with all the necessary markings...
Another problem was the air to ground ordnance load. I used two MERs from the Hasegawa weapons sets, and high drag bombs from Esci´s A-7 kit. The Zuni launchers are completely scratchbuilt from wooden toothpics and Evergreen sheet.
I also extended and modified the nose landing gear, made the intake deeper, modified the afterburner cooling scoops, shifted the wing pylons more outward, detailed the cockpit and made some changes on the canopy to be able to display it in opened and closed position.
Had some doubts regarding the old decals, but they worked surprisingly well. Only the national insignias had to come from the spares box. Paints used was Mr.Color for the light gull grey and Revell Enamels. A preshading was applied with Tamiya acrylic black. Clearcoats used were from Gauzy and Tamiya, weathering with oils and pastels. 
Is not the Academy kit, but I´m quite happy with the result. For comparison I took one pic together with the old build.
Cheers,
                Mario

ki9udWS.jpgZgJ2eNs.jpgKWdAegJ.jpgBCdClzi.jpgE3Do50O.jpgTlPQcny.jpgStGFkF2.jpgaIL6cvI.jpgQZGW2qQ.jpgAgEoADg.jpg

Edited by Mario
  • Like 36

Thank you very much for the comments!

27 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

The lovely Crusader, very impressed with the homemade toothpick Zuni's.....!!!  Very smart.

Will use the same trick when I build my Marines Bronco🙂

• Like 1

Mario,

Oohrah! My very favorite F8U markings! Your skills have obviously improved from your first effort. I agree with my colleagues on those Zuni launchers- they turned out great. Me, I'd smoke up those gunports more, but you know jarheads- they like to keep their weapons clean! 👌

Mike

• Like 1

Good job on this Esci Crusader.

Especially the combination with the tarmac works great.

Regards. Orion

• Like 1

Thank you very much Orion, Corsairfoxfouruncle and Mike for the comments!

18 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mario,

Oohrah! My very favorite F8U markings! Your skills have obviously improved from your first effort. I agree with my colleagues on those Zuni launchers- they turned out great. Me, I'd smoke up those gunports more, but you know jarheads- they like to keep their weapons clean! 👌

Mike

Is also my favourite Crusader scheme. Find the Marines birds more interesting because of their heavier payloads.

BTW: I have aready feared to have overdone the effects on the gunports🙂

Edited by Mario

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 9:14 AM, BerndM said:

Good work on the Esci classics :)

And a very nice A-7 as well. My last A-7 was the Revell kit in 1:72.

Hi Bernd! Thank you very much! Have also built the Revell A-7 🙂.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mario said:

Hi Bernd! Thank you very much! Have also built the Revell A-7 🙂.

Hi Mario. Sure you have !

A nice kit with great boxart. Mine still exists may i get it out once and refurbish it.

Have a great day :)

Bernd

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 2:30 PM, BerndM said:

Hi Mario. Sure you have !

A nice kit with great boxart. Mine still exists may i get it out once and refurbish it.

Have a great day :)

Bernd

Hi Bernd!

As you know I have a soft spot for old plastic🙂. Forgot to say: I have three - one very old and unpainted, one painted in a too dark grey (Revell 75) and one that looks more or less ok.

Have a great day, too

Mario

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mario said:

Hi Bernd!

As you know I have a soft spot for old plastic🙂. Forgot to say: I have three - one very old and unpainted, one painted in a too dark grey (Revell 75) and one that looks more or less ok.

Have a great day, too

Mario

Sounds good and i would not be surprised to see it much refurbished here on BM.:)

• Haha 1