Airfix 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf109E - Circa August 1940

So it begins....the decal session started...briefly before we had to call an ambulance for my step daughter....thankfully a false alarm and the crushing pains in her chest were nothing to be worried about...Massive thanks to West Mids Ambulance service last night and the fine people at the 111 emergancy number....

The new Airfix decals are very thick and take an absolute age to soak in decal set solution.....so i only managed a small amount last night.

47428356492_edd7fcdf18_z.jpgDSC_2023

What i have also noticed is that any resedue leave a silver effect, but thank fully it does wash off with a bit of water and cotton buds.

47428356082_0543d87fd0_z.jpgDSC_2024

33604620418_aaa3ecc973_z.jpgDSC_2025

On the plus side, the decals do set down really well once dried....

• Like 1

Small update,

Decals are pretty much done. there were a few really fiddly ones that were very difficult to apply. specifically the numbers that were next to eaxh rib section on the fuselage.

47531420451_51e58025cb_z.jpgDSC_2046

47531420591_891ce9d4ef_z.jpgDSC_2048

There is some touch up paint needed before clear coat and then weathering.

N.B - If anyone is building this kit....leach the starboard wing pitot tube off until you apply the decal as it sits right over where the pitot tube is located. Sadly no pics of it as I forgot too...

Oops.

I have some 0.1mm aircraft rigging to complete the antena too from MiG to finish this and the Canberra off.

Thoughts and comments always welcomed :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Cheers @Oberleutnant It's a really nice build and the new PS material Airfix are now using is beautiful to work with. look forward to seeing your build their chap :)

Yeah I'll upload a WIP when I get a mo.

The kit is good fun for a notice like me but a bit of a pain in the sense nothing bloody fits properly! 

• Like 1

I've built a few of these, and just for future reference, the reason there is a seam along the top and bottom of the rear fuselage, is because the rear is made up of individual sections, all bolted together to form a stressed structure. There is a youtube video about it (showing the 108, but the process is the same)

The undercarriage should be quite splayed out, whereas yours looks more "up and down"

Other than that, it's a great job!

• Like 1

cheers @Devilfish They are splayed apart slightly, the angle of the photo doesn't really show it as well as it could be.

The fit for the undercarriage is pretty tight. I didn't realise there was a seem line on the rear fuselage, but you can just still see it.

@Oberleutnant Everyone starts somewhere, and you've made a great start with your 109, keep at it! :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

cheers @Devilfish They are splayed apart slightly, the angle of the photo doesn't really show it as well as it could be.

The fit for the undercarriage is pretty tight. I didn't realise there was a seem line on the rear fuselage, but you can just still see it.

@Oberleutnant Everyone starts somewhere, and you've made a great start with your 109, keep at it! :)

Thanks mate.

• 3 weeks later...

*Bump.....

This is still in progress and is sat on my workbend awaiting topcoat and then minor weathering....however priorities of finishing of home decor and getting the back yard sorted for Braai season has taken over.....

Normal service to resume ASAP.....

• Thanks 1

Brilliant work and instructions to follow too. The tamiya rattle cans are simply incredible and thanks for posting the colour choice for this 109 in them. Can’t wait to see it complete as it’s looking perfect

Brilliant work and instructions to follow too. The tamiya rattle cans are simply incredible and thanks for posting the colour choice for this 109 in them. Can’t wait to see it complete as it’s looking perfect

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...