Get rid of frosting own flat paint once and for all!

Night Owl

By luck and thats usually how these tips happen I stumbled upon a trick to get rid of frosting. I am in a humid climate eventhough I have a two moisture traps one on the compressor and one in the airline. I still was getting condensation cooling the dullcoat whenever I sprayed it on very frustrating on the final step of a great paint job. I was also dealing with a stubborn decal that was silvering and would not set on a flat paint. Using Microscale Micro Sol setting solution close to the decal was a badly frosted area. I noticed when the micro sol hit the frosting it completly disappeared. I let it dry and applied it to another frostef area with a brush and got the same amazing result I decided what the heck and I did the whole aircraft. I am amazed and delighted that it not only got rid of the frosting it didnt change the original matt finish or effect the paint in any way.😅

Edited by Flaps out
Update
  • Like 2

Good call on the frosting/silvering issue.

Living in high humidity, eh? Most be on one of the coasts. Left or right side? I'm originally from the right coast.

Chris

West Coast East Sooke, BC about 100m from the ocean. I am going to try some measures perhaps put a hair dryer on the intake fan of the compressor and a space heater/ dehumidifier to start up about an hour prior to any airbrushing. Its actually quite an issue that has almost ruined my last two builds. When you have done a flawless paint job then its always with the clear cote when it happens. Then I sit there staring in shock because it looks like I just took the model out of the freezer and you have feeling and contemplate seeing if the plane can fly right into a wall from the total frustration.

Using clear cote from a can is an option however its about the ability to control the application and shooting from a spray can onto a 1:48 scale plane doesn't give you much room for error and also getting into tight spaces like cockpits and wheel wells.

Edited by Julien
edited for swearing
  • Like 1

Up here in Fort Mac, it's just the opposite, especially in the depths of winter. It's dry as a popcorn fart with lots of static electricity everywhere. A humidifier is a must. I really need to get a small one for my basement hobbyroom. I've now got small heater with adjustable temperature settings to keep it warm down there. 10C is just a little too cool and my old heater took over an hour to bring the temp. up to near normal room temps. Now it stays a nice 22C in there.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Flaps Out.

Just a word of friendly warning here. There is a swearing ban in place on Britmodeller, even if it is disguised swearing. I would strongly recommend that you choose some less adult words in your second post, or risk having the wrath of the moderators fall upon you. There are young folk reading these forums and the site's management are on the look-out for bad language. 

Cheers.

Chris.     

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.

8 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Flaps Out.

Just a word of friendly warning here. There is a swearing ban in place on Britmodeller, even if it is disguised swearing. I would strongly recommend that you choose some less adult words in your second post, or risk having the wrath of the moderators fall upon you. There are young folk reading these forums and the site's management are on the look-out for bad language. 

Cheers.

Chris.     

Yes Chris rightly points out we have a zero tolerance to this on the forums.

Please read the following;

Julien