Ship's Camel - 1/48

Ted

Never built a Blue Max kit before, I've been on the hunt for them at swap 'n shops but have only found this Camel kit. The Eduard Camel kit in my stash looks soooo much easier to build than this one. But...this one has the option to build a ship's Camel.

I really like the box art, and the bits are plentiful.

IMG_7498

Here are the instructions 😅. I'm no expert on Sopwith Camels so I'll rely heavily on my windsock datafile and its masterpiece cutaway drawing..

IMG_7500

Gotta be on my toes with this one. The instructions name the parts to use for each version, but they call out the grey fuselage for the ship's model when the white fuselage clearly has the breakaway details. 🤪

And instead of individual struts you get a length of teardrop-section plastic.

IMG_7504

I made a start with assembling the cockpit. The throttle looks like it's too far forward but is cast into the fuselage frame. The control stick is too close to the seat, alas. I made the seat cushion from green stuff and harness from masking tape.

IMG_7520

I glued the cylinders on the motor. The registration for them is not great so the first time I glued it together I had eight cylinders evenly spaced. I almost left it but wouldn't have been able to sleep at night. I plucked them off, rebuilt it with all nine cylinders and added stretched sprue pushrods. That was not easy and I'll have to install it in an orientation to hide some blemishes. Except the two worst cylinders are opposite each other, so one of them will be exposed.

IMG_7518

Edited by Ted
  • Like 6

Many have been replaced by more mainstream kits but some of them are still very relevant. They can look a bit rough out of the box but the detail seems to be there where it counts. I would always reccomend replacing the white metal struts with something stiffer and stronger though...

Edited by matti64
addition
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, matti64 said:

Many have been replaced by more mainstream kits but some of them are still very relevant. They can look a bit rough out of the box but the detail seems to be there where it counts. I would always reccomend replacing the white metal struts with something stiffer and stronger though...

Thanks for the advice, all of the quirks aside it is an enjoyable build.

1 hour ago, Wonky Donkey said:

Good start there, Ted. This alongside the Nieuport? 

W-D 

Yes, I like to work on a few kits at once. 🙃

• Like 1

Ted,

How about this one? A replica on display at the National Museum of Naval Aviation at Pensacola, FL. I have seen her in person on two visits and she is gorgeous! Of course, she's got the best markings, too! You can do a search on the 'net for many more good detail photos. I'd love to do one in my preferred scale someday, but would probably have to make masks for the lettering. Regardless of the scheme you choose, I will be sitting in the back waiting for @Corsairfoxfouruncle to arrive with the snacks! Good luck on your build!

Mike

http://www.milavnarc.com/sopwith_f.1_camel_detail_photos.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mike, I wish more museums would post detailed photo albums like that site.

In case they are listening, I especially wish the Canadian Aviation museum in Ottawa would post pictures of their Nieuport 12. I went to look at it but it's displayed 12' off the floor. 

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

I will be sitting in the back waiting for @Corsairfoxfouruncle to arrive with the snacks!

OK ... OK ... Im here Mike, :drink::popcorn:. Ive already got a Camel in my collection, Capt. Roy Browns. Possibility of a distant familial connection made it the obvious 1st choice. Though ive already decided that if i ever can afford a WNW kit. It will be a Camel and most likely a Ships Camel on top of that. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Haha 1