Danish Draken Question

Murph

Any idea what designation was of the rocket pods that the Draken carried in Danish service?  The pictures I've come across show them typically painted white and fitted with a rounded cover on the front end.

Regards,

Murph

I have noticed that to but when I'm searching for LAU-3/A both types come up. It looks like the ones that are pointed at both ends is found in older pictures like Vietnam war and the ones on the Draken in later pictures. It would be interesting to know as I have some Danish Draken's to build.

I think that using the frangible dome on both the front and rear of the pod was the original idea as the LAU3/A was  designed to be a cheap and cheerful  disposable one shot pod,  the 19 rocket tubes being basically  varnished cardboard surrounded by expanded  foam  with the whole pod clad in (very) thin aluminium!  On operations The premise was that the pod would ripple fire out all 19 rockets and then the empty pod  would be jettisoned off the aircraft pylon on the last firing pulse, thus eliminating  draggy empty pod carriage problems for the returning aircraft.  

They then discovered that the LAU 3/A could be refilled with rockets   so the last firing pulse was inhibited, and the empty pod  now came back with the aircraft.  It then would be inspected, any damaged tubes found were blanked off,  and the pod refilled for the next mission. (There was a limit to how many damaged tubes were permitted before the pod was scrapped i can't quite remember but the number 6 rings a bell).

I think the rear fairing "skirt" was introduced when they started to bring back the empties to  reduce the drag of the pods. When I was involved with these pods  (1990's) I never ever saw one with a rear dome fitted.

Selwyn

• Like 3

Another reason for the tapered aft fairing was to deflect the rocket blast away from any a/c parts, especially pylons also it came in handy having an opening when setting the switches rather than pulling the fairing off:

C2302U02.jpg

One thing to note is not all users re-used the LAU-3 pods, i loaded several and they rarely ever came back as they were punched off after the rockets were fired, even when we switched to the LAU-5003 pods and the only time they came back if there was a hung rocket or when we were short of jettison cartridges, the pods were still scrapped.

Jari

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

What is this 1/48th scale of which you speak?  While we're at it, does anybody have a clear picture of the adapter the Danes used when mounting an AIM-9 rail?  It appears to be close to what the Swedes used.  I've seen museum examples of the rail mounted directly to the pylon, but I don't have a lot of faith in them being accurate.

2qjPOOO.jpg

Regards,

Murph

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Murph said:

What is this 1/48th scale of which you speak?  While we're at it, does anybody have a clear picture of the adapter the Danes used when mounting an AIM-9 rail?  It appears to be close to what the Swedes used.  I've seen museum examples of the rail mounted directly to the pylon, but I don't have a lot of faith in them being accurate.

Regards,

Murph

Is this any good?

nd14.jpg&key=b2b7a687b7022ab399c98cf183b

It is always worth checking out our walkarounds;

Julien

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Julien said:

Is this any good?

nd14.jpg&key=b2b7a687b7022ab399c98cf183b

Julien

No, don't use this incorrect Sidewinder load-out as reference. Neither the launcher or the adapter was used on the Draken.

As for the rocket pod it's an LAU-5003 (externally identical to the LAU-3).

Jens

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Murph said:

What is this 1/48th scale of which you speak?  While we're at it, does anybody have a clear picture of the adapter the Danes used when mounting an AIM-9 rail?  

A 1.5 Times lifesize gentleman...

Have you checked the Aerofax re the adapter?

Edited by tempestfan
Autofalsification...
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Julien said:

Is this any good?

Julien

Julien,

That was one of the first places I looked, but then I saw an AIM-9D/G/H mounted on the Danish Draken, so I stopped using it for accurate weapons load reference purposes.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

10 hours ago, Murph said:

Julien,

That was one of the first places I looked, but then I saw an AIM-9D/G/H mounted on the Danish Draken, so I stopped using it for accurate weapons load reference purposes.

Regards,

Murph

The rocket pod fitted to the Danish Draken at Newark is a British Matra 155 not a LAU3A.

Selwyn

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:05 AM, Jens said:

No, don't use this incorrect Sidewinder load-out as reference. Neither the launcher or the adapter was used on the Draken.

As for the rocket pod it's an LAU-5003 (externally identical to the LAU-3).

Jens

Jens,

What type of AIM-9 rail did they use?  Since they were carrying the AIM-9B or AIM-9J, I assume it would a USAF type rail.

Regards,

Murph

The rail used was a square type. These three pictures show the correct launcher, its adapter and also the right placement under the wing.

FWIW, the Draken displayed in the aviation museum in Stauning here in Denmark is not this one, AR-109, with a correct weapons load.

AR-109_0653_1000jj.jpg

AR-109_0654_1000jj.jpg

AR-109_0662_1000jj.jpg

Jens

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jens,

Outstanding pictures, thank you very much!  Those look like the LAU-105 rails originally used on the F-15 and on the A-10.  I've never seen those rocket tubes on the inboard pylon before.

Regards,

Murph

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Finn said:

Murph here is the Flight Manual for the Draken:

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/sweden/saab/j-35draken/hflv-685-121-flight-manual-f-rf-tf-35-draken.html

in it mention is made of the AIM-9B and AIM-9N-2 as the missiles.

Jari

Jari,

Thank you very much.  Some interesting information in there; it lists the Mk-20 CBU, which I didn't know they used.  

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph