CH-53D, Operation Frequent Wind, Saigon, 30 April 1975

Hello everyone!  Below is my latest diorama depicting Operation Frequent Wind, 30 April 1975, titled "Time To Go."  A USMC CH-53D of HMH-463 prepares to evacuate Vietnamese civilians and US Embassy Staff from Saigon.  I used a 1985, warped, Revell CH-53D, 1980s Microscale Decals for HMH-463, Airfix electric motor for the main rotor, Jin Long micro motor for the tail rotor, operating navigation lights, MP3 player with radio calls and rotor sound effects from a real CH-53, 1/48 crew members from Hasegawa, and 1/48 scale civilians from a Chinese company.  I added an Armorcast .50 machine gun and Eduard photo-etch cockpit.  I took Silver in the Aircraft Diorama category at last Saturday's IPMS Region 5 contest in Madison, Wisconsin.  Hope you enjoy!

First are videos of the diorama in action:  Click on the link,  one has radio calls, the other rotor sound effects

IMG_1081

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMqAFuVN_SFURZaZkHq065fvwv19riEG6gGAu9eMU5Kwk6YblZgay0qAarL4qa_Qg/photo/AF1QipPnMrPUrQsoUxECKJcJq8B_mAMnqfO9-lev3IQ6?key=ZlpwRXdTeWRMcG9HUUVzcHBzeXFNZFZwajl4UW93

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMqAFuVN_SFURZaZkHq065fvwv19riEG6gGAu9eMU5Kwk6YblZgay0qAarL4qa_Qg/photo/AF1QipO15GGWPKy9vK9krfgvi8dvansoUPTyGspfAXFK?key=ZlpwRXdTeWRMcG9HUUVzcHBzeXFNZFZwajl4UW93

chopper_evac

IMG_1080 (2)

IMG_1103

IMG_1101

IMG_1099IMG_1098

IMG_1100

IMG_1097

IMG_1095

57325932812__C76107E4-DE79-4C8B-89F6-2B0DB6069CBD

How the project began...  

IMG_0663

Edited by CMSCHLOM
Upload PICTURES
  • Like 56

On 3/5/2019 at 8:40 PM, whiskey said:

Dude if you took silver who took gold?? This is a pure gem, great job.

Thanks!  Follow this link and go to aircraft dioramas, he did a great job.  His diorama was called Dangerous Dan, but they made a typo and said 3rd when it should have been 1st.  All in 1/32 scale.

http://madcitymodelers.org/files/2019/03/2019-mad-city-ipms-5-Awards.pdf

Edited by CMSCHLOM

Great Dio` there, love the queue of civilians and the crew member hanging out of the window! Good job motorising it all too

• Like 1

I can actually feel the wash from those rotors looking at that. You've nailed the scale idle speed and the rotor droop, I love it! 

• Thanks 1

Love the chopper,

How did you motorize the tail rotor?  Been thinking of doing that with a Huey for a troop drop dio but haven't figured how to get the motor to fit back there.

Also took a look a the contest pics.  I recognized a lot of names.

Think your dio has a lot more action than Dangerous Dan and tells a better story.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, philp said:

Love the chopper,

How did you motorize the tail rotor?  Been thinking of doing that with a Huey for a troop drop dio but haven't figured how to get the motor to fit back there.

Also took a look a the contest pics.  I recognized a lot of names.

Think your dio has a lot more action than Dangerous Dan and tells a better story.

Thanks Phil, I motorized the tail rotor using a Jin Long micro motor.  Just a few $ for several motors on eBay.  Here are some pics, hope they help:

IMG_0594

IMG_0593

IMG_0606

22 minutes ago, CMSCHLOM said:

Thanks Phil, I motorized the tail rotor using a Jin Long micro motor.  Just a few $ for several motors on eBay.  Here are some pics, hope they help:

Ok will look those up, thanks.

Any chance you can attach a video of it with everything running and the sounds?  Unless it is going to be in Chattanooga in August and I can see it then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Love it, is it possible to lengthen the motor's shaft? Heat shrink, brass tube maybe? I want to motorize some props, but the shaft is a bit short.

Yes, just used some Evergreen small diameter sprue rod and drill it out so it fits the motor shaft.  Apply a tiny bit of Crazy Glue or Zap a Gap in the sprue rod and gently fit it on the motor shaft.  Let cure over night.  Make sure the hole is true center while drilling and don't let any glue get on the motor or its toast.  Let motor and sprue dry so its open to the air.  The glue admits vapors as it dries and can find its way inside the tiniest openings of the motor.

2 hours ago, CMSCHLOM said:

Yes, just used some Evergreen small diameter sprue rod and drill it out so it fits the motor shaft.  Apply a tiny bit of Crazy Glue or Zap a Gap in the sprue rod and gently fit it on the motor shaft.  Let cure over night.  Make sure the hole is true center while drilling and don't let any glue get on the motor or its toast.  Let motor and sprue dry so its open to the air.  The glue admits vapors as it dries and can find its way inside the tiniest openings of the motor.

Thanks, I guess scratch up the shaft a bit to so the glue can bite on a bit. I want to make a functional counter rotation prop with the smallest motors like these. I guess the super glues bond better is you let them dry on their own and not use accelerators? My accelerator takes awhile to set the glue to.