After enforced modeling break, I have unfinished models. Would you complete this?

Ham Hands

Hi all. 

I have been away and several models are incomplete. I just received the Kitty Hawk 1/48 Gripen. I then found this Italeri build I had forgotten in a cupboard. The Italeri model is crude. I am wondering if it is worth completing. It is this far along.

1XdvMi.jpg

Coming back to modeling I am tempted to chuck it. What would you do?

I ask only because I have no mind of my own and require the opinion of others. ;)

Really though, is this worth keeping?

Honestly, if that was mine, I absolutely would finish it!

Even if the kit is crude in comparison to the Kittyhawk one, I think you've done a great job on it and it would be a shame for all that lovely work to go to waste.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

If I were you, I'd first not believe I'd done that good a job and then I'd try and finish it without messing it up and then sell the Kitty Hawk kit and buy something different. Definitely finish it.

• Like 2

I'll follow the others... It would be a pity not to finish it.  It would feel like having to run a marathon and within 100m from the finish you return to the start...

Kitty Hawk kits are a bit notorious, so read enough builds completely through to find the areas that need special attention...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Filler said:

If I were you, I'd first not believe I'd done that good a job and then I'd try and finish it without messing it up and then sell the Kitty Hawk kit and buy something different. Definitely finish it.

I’m absolutely with @Filler here. Your Italeri looks perfectly suitable for finishing and putting on display.

Maybe take some hints from the Kittyhawk on final details like the wheels, but honestly; your Italeri looks grrrrreat!

Finish it off, sell the Kittyhawk and maybe buy a nice 1/48  Tarangus Lansen as a historic companion to place at the side of your Gripen 👍

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Keep it as a paint and weathering test model. That is, if you don’t want to actually finish it!

20 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Honestly, if that was mine, I absolutely would finish it!

Even if the kit is crude in comparison to the Kittyhawk one, I think you've done a great job on it and it would be a shame for all that lovely work to go to waste.

Cheers,

Mark.

20 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Finish the italeri as benchmark for Kittyhawk, then once the KH is finished and looking way superior buy a 2nd copy to replace the italeri when done :)

19 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

It is so close to the end that I would complete it and show it beside the superior KH kit

18 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Looks like 98 % done... go for the remaining 2 !👍

18 hours ago, Filler said:

17 hours ago, PZRGREN said:

Looks too good to not finish in my opinion!  I would feel disappointed in myself for not completing it.  

17 hours ago, Silenoz said:

I'll follow the others... It would be a pity not to finish it.  It would feel like having to run a marathon and within 100m from the finish you return to the start...

Kitty Hawk kits are a bit notorious, so read enough builds completely through to find the areas that need special attention...

15 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I’m absolutely with @Filler here. Your Italeri looks perfectly suitable for finishing and putting on display.

Maybe take some hints from the Kittyhawk on final details like the wheels, but honestly; your Italeri looks grrrrreat!

Finish it off, sell the Kittyhawk and maybe buy a nice 1/48  Tarangus Lansen as a historic companion to place at the side of your Gripen 👍

Best regards

TonyT

Thank you, everyone. I have found several incomplete kits. I will show some photos of these kits. (I had a serious incident with a relative ending in hospital and had to take care of that. Getting back to modelling seems strange now.) Although I did build a stegasaurus as a Christmas present for a 7 year old son of a friend who dreams of being a scientist.

Here is what I found under my kitchen sink.

gCo3GN.jpg4Cl5IE.jpgngQ3sS.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Not much to do on the Martlet - I think I would finish it..

Thanks. I must find the various parts for all these kits. I stored them all so carefully I cannot find them. :)

There is also a P-47 1/32-1/48 joint build. But where are the engines and canopies???

I have been away from home for several months and simply cannot remember. :)

The Italeri kit is the earlier A version while Kitty Hawk is the later C-version.  So if you finish both you have two different versions. or you could repaint it in the Viggen splinter camo. One plane was painted like that for the last flight of the A. version.

Vq51250.jpg

• Like 2

Seems like you’re a 98% man 😉

If I may point out an issue (or not) with the Martlet: The kit isn’t one but an F4F-4, a variant the FAA didn’t use. Biggest external difference between it and the Martlet II (I think this is what the decals depict) is that the latter lacks the carb air intake on the upper cowling lip. Also, IIRC the arrangement of the cowl flaps varied between them. If you want to know more, check out the link I reposted in the relatively recent F4F-3 thread in the interwar section. (scroll down for the Martlets). 

The mud on the wheels looks very nice but would only be present when shorebased - carrier decks tend to be wet but soil-free 😉

Are the decals for Pedestal?

Edited by tempestfan

8 hours ago, Orso said:

The Italeri kit is the earlier A version while Kitty Hawk is the later C-version.  So if you finish both you have two different versions. or you could repaint it in the Viggen splinter camo. One plane was painted like that for the last flight of the A. version.

Vq51250.jpg

Isn't it gorgeous? Lovely.

3 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Seems like you’re a 98% man 😉

If I may point out an issue (or not) with the Martlet: The kit isn’t one but an F4F-4, a variant the FAA didn’t use. Biggest external difference between it and the Martlet II (I think this is what the decals depict) is that the latter lacks the carb air intake on the upper cowling lip. Also, IIRC the arrangement of the cowl flaps varied between them. If you want to know more, check out the link I reposted in the relatively recent F4F-3 thread in the interwar section. (scroll down for the Martlets). 

The mud on the wheels looks very nice but would only be present when shorebased - carrier decks tend to be wet but soil-free 😉

Are the decals for Pedestal?

"98 % man"...Rita??? (Ex-wife) :)

I thought this aircraft visited the coast. Oh well. If inaccurate to a large extent, chances are I won't bother with it. Perhaps I will strip it and place it in US markings.

Thanks guys. :)

2 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

I thought this aircraft visited the coast. Oh well. If inaccurate to a large extent, chances are I won't bother with it. Perhaps I will strip it and place it in US markings.

Thanks guys. :)

Not to a large extent, the differences are rather subtle. Place it with the cowl facing the wall, so it will hardly be noticeable.

• Like 1

I am going to complete the Saab aircraft. The Martlet, perhaps. Originally it was a Christmas present but came to an end with my family crisis. I gave the kid a 1/32 Zero I had built previously and he was happy. My friend is English and I thought it would be good. Oh well.

I also feel I need to build something quickly in order to get back into the swing of modeling. I found the parts for the Draken so will do that when I get a moment. I found parts for the Gripen as well, but not all. The parts are here in one of many boxes.

I am considering building the Hobby Boss AMX fighter bomber. I also have the Kinetic model and am tempted to do a comparison build. An even faster build would be the 1/48 Hasegawa Ki-27. I have decals, masks and resin up-dates as well as a harness. Both AMX kits would take time.

Since joining, I have completed 3 models, so things are not too bad. The Draken sits upon my desk beside the Gripen and both worth completing. :)

There is probably a B-52 in this place near completion. I will likely trip over it tomorrow.

Here are 2 aircraft I completed since I joined. The pitot was added later to the He-162.

gaFNgP.jpg

Plus the Trumpeter Panther and the Tamiya stegosaurus. 

dzMTxG.jpg

sAW4Tb.jpg

• Like 1