F-4E Loadout with GBU (-8)

rotaliscia

Hi all.

I’m planning the building of a Kurnass,  an Israeli F-4E, during Yom Kippur War in 1973.
And I'm wondering what the loadout with GBU-8’s could be, for bridges attack operations.    One each on the inboard pylons, gas tanks on outboard ones.
But what else on centerline/fuselage stations?   ECM pods, Sparrows and/or Sidewinders?    Did the GBU’s need some typical ordnance connected?
Wondering if exist any photo in that configuration…

Thanks for reading!

FWIW, In Vietnam USAF F-4Ds stopped carrying anything in the forward AIM-7 wells in order to keep the ambient light hitting the seeker of the GBU-8 as consistent as possible.  The final configuration they settled on was two AIM-7s in the rear wells, an MER on the fuselage centerline station with a pair of AN/ALQ-87 pods mounted on the bottom stations of the MER, the GBU-8s on the inboard wing pylons, and two wing tanks.   I don't think the Israelis used the AN/ALQ-87 pod, and during the Yom Kippur had very limited stocks of any ECM pods, not to mention a total lack of faith in them till they got crushed by the Egyptian and Syrian SAMs, so I suspect if you put a pair of AIM-7s in the rear wells, left the fuselage centerline clean, hung a GBU-8 on each inboard wing pylon, and mounted a pair of external wing tanks you would be good to go. 

Regards,

Murph

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rotaliscia said:

Hi all.

I’m planning the building of a Kurnass,  an Israeli F-4E, during Yom Kippur War in 1973.
And I'm wondering what the loadout with GBU-8’s could be, for bridges attack operations.    One each on the inboard pylons, gas tanks on outboard ones.
But what else on centerline/fuselage stations?   ECM pods, Sparrows and/or Sidewinders?    Did the GBU’s need some typical ordnance connected?
Wondering if exist any photo in that configuration…

Thanks for reading!

https://wingmanmodels.com/wm/Pulsar/en_US.Store.display.155./iafb001-the-iaf-in-the-yom-kippur-war

This is the book for you, it's fantastic.   I will look later tonight when I get home but believe there are a few pics in the back of the book with a GBU-8 loadout. 

They were mounted on the inboard wing pylons with drop tanks and I believe a MER with MK-82's on the centerline.  I will check the photos to confirm.  

Your  typical F-4E loads were 10-12 x M-117's  or 8-10 CBU-58's.  The book is littered with photos of those loadouts.  Normally Sparrows in the aft wells and maybe a Sidewinder on a slant loaded TER.  Some of these are shown in the pics below.  

Someday when I get to it...I'm building a F-4E hard wing from the older 1/48 Pro Modeler kit which is good for a first generation F-4E  (non wing slat) aircraft that includes the early gun fairing.  

This book is also outstanding if you really want a blow by blow of F-4 operations during the YKW:   https://www.schifferbooks.com/ghosts-of-atonement-israeli-f-4-phantom-operations-during-the-yom-kippur-war-5569.html

Cheers

Collin

70411658.jpg&key=0416504501013387cd0914e

29586107.jpg&key=35e9fa8ee1678ce5a0dd20366510663.jpg&key=2dde97e1dee7317fbdc7d4152063066.jpg&key=fec2593df7baec3205932ae25639184.jpg&key=48da4e232d0cff056a7b94637379289.jpg&key=0788cc4f3948ce3cc4daede

Edited by Collin
spelling
  • Like 4

I stand corrected.

Page 115 shows 119 Squadron headed out for an attack on 16 October with GBU-8. 

Loadout consists of 2x GBU-8 on the inboard pylons. Single centerline drop tank, and both outboard pylons are loaded with 3x MK-82 low drag bombs on a TER. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers

Collin

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Collin said:

I stand corrected.

Page 115 shows 119 Squadron headed out for an attack on 16 October with GBU-8. 

Loadout consists of 2x GBU-8 on the inboard pylons. Single centerline drop tank, and both outboard pylons are loaded with 3x MK-82 low drag bombs on a TER. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers

Collin

Yes Collin, helps a lot. Thanks.  This is the confguration I was looking info for.
My intention is to build this aircraft using an old Hasegawa F-4EJ    (sorry for the shitty quality photo; was taken by a mobile phone in very bad light conditions, but just to give you the idea):

daBMmCB.jpg

Edited by rotaliscia

In the ‘Ghosts’ book, I read the 16 October diary and it said two 119 F-4’s introduced GBU-8 to the war with their bridge attack using 1 x GBU-8 apiece (looks like your attached color profile).  Both hit. 

What I don’t know is what they used as a counterbalance on the opposite pylon (if they needed it at all). 

I’ve got 119 Squadron decals for that same scheme (Isradecal) as well, and a ton of aftermarket CBU’s (Wingman resin). 

Cheers

Collin

• Like 1

Collin, I would not thrust 100% on the profile.   Even if it's from a very reliable source.
Tending generally to simplify my life, if you have in your book a photo of a 119 Sqn in YKW with 2 x GBU on the inner pylons, a single centerline tank and a 3x MK-82 bombs on TER's in outboards,  I'm fine this way.

It will be my definitive configuration.  Beautiful, unusual and lethal, a true Hammer.   A snapshot would be great, should you be so kind and if you think is appropriate.   Owing you a beer from The Netherlands!

Edited by rotaliscia
  • Like 1

I did some more digging. I believe the pic of the GBU and MK-82 load is post YKW and here is why. 

1.  I found the same photo in another IAF F-4 book and the aircraft is a slated soft wing (and in a late 1970 section of the book).  Clear to see the slated wing. During the YKW there were very very few slated F-4’s. After the war they accelerated the slat wing conversion across the fleet. I would say 99% of the photos I have in the 5-6 IAF Phantom books I have show hard wings during the YKW. The famous sharkmouth Phantom was slated, but from what I was told, she was damaged in the first few days of the war and didn’t fly for the rest of the conflict.  

2.  An F-4 with just a centerline and the drag count of MK-82’s and the GBU’s would make any flight a very short range one, nothing like attacking the bridges in mid-Syria or comms center near/West of the Suez Canal. 

My guess is the F-4’s went out with centerline and wing tanks with 2 x GBU-8’s which matches the color profile you posted earlier. 

If others out out there can add to this, I’m all ears. 

Cheers

Collin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully my final chat on this subject. Reading through the most excellent book ‘Ghosts of Atonement’ it’s stated that:

119 Squadron flew the first GBU-8 mission against a communication node along the Egyptian Coast. In this 2-ship formation both aircraft were armed with ONE GBU-8 apiece. Both weapons hit near the target but failed to explode due to fuzing issue.   

Seccond mission of the day was a 4-ship from 119 Squadron attacking the Dominique Bridge in Syria. First pair were armed with TWO GBU-8 a piece, while the second pair in the flight were armed with M117 bombs as backup. This time the GBU-8 functioned properly. 

Cheers

Collin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1